VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The Samsung UE40ES5500 has a USB slot that can play movies in a variety of formats, including soft subs as long as the filenames of the sub file and video file are the same. This feature is awesome except that the TV shows the subs as white with no outline. The only settings to set the subs is to make them larger but even still, if the video had a white scene, it would be impossible to read the subs.

So I'm just wondering if anyone who has this TV managed to find a solution. Is there a firmware fix for this? This is only for the USB Movie playback. DVD subs are fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So have you actually seen this in practice or just worrying about something that might happen ?.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I tried almost every kind of external subtitle format but the outcome is the same with no outline, which makes it hard to read with bright background. The only known solution I found is to hard code the subtitles with handbreak, but that takes too much time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might try to subtley change the color setting of the tv. My Sony has 3 such settings - warm, cool etc.. Also try changing contrast/brightness etc
    Quote Quote  
  5. Does it play SSA subs? Have you tried them to see if it honors the styles in the subtitle?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes I tried SSA subs but the outcome is the same no matter what format my external subs are. Like I said the only solution is to hard code them but it takes me about 20 min for an episode about 20 min long.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do try .subs/.idx subtitles, not many TV support this format but luckily for me, my LCD supported it, though its not Samsung. I had similar issues like you the .srt and .ssa format was very small on my TV.

I used aviaddxsubs to convert .srt into .subs/idx format. Its easy and very quick.

Sent from my GT-P3100
    Quote Quote