VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I read through older posts about Blu-ray ripping but didn't see anything about my exact situation. All I'm interested in converting is some homemade travel movie DVDs that an acquaintance made. He sent me 5 homemade Blue-ray DVDs of his travels in Asia. I'd like to be able to watch them on my computer, which can't handle Blue-ray.

Each homemade disc has a BDMV folder, and inside that folder are more folders labeled BACKUP, CLIPINF, PLAYLIST, and STREAM, as well as two files called index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv

Does anyone know of a good, freely-available, and malware-free converter to a pc viewable format (eg: Blu-ray to AVI, or to any other format that'll play easily on a pc running Vista)?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake. Open the bdmv or stream folder. Convert to a mp4.

Or play the bdmv folder directly with vlc or mpchc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Hey guys

I'd like to be able to watch them on my computer, which can't handle Blue-ray.
    This could be a problem if he can't rip the Blue-ray
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    This could be a problem if he can't rip the Blue-ray
    (I think) he said they're Blu-Ray video burned to DVD discs, so there shouldn't be a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    His actual statement is
    5 homemade Blue-ray DVDs
    which a few people use to mean Blu-ray discs
    Quote Quote  
  6. They do? But he said he can see the contents (or knows somehow what's on the discs), yet he doesn't seem to have a Blu-Ray drive in his computer? Maybe he'll come back to clarify what kind of discs he has and what kind of drive is in his computer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    They do, and it can get confusing when people throw the terms Blu-ray, Blu-ray dvd. etc around without realizing what the terms might actually mean.
    It is similar to the usage of ripping a DVD, when they actually mean ripping and re-encoding.
    Problem occurs when the term Blu-ray DVD is used to mean an AVCHD disc or a Blu-ray disc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    They do, and it can get confusing when people throw the terms Blu-ray, Blu-ray dvd. etc around without realizing what the terms might actually mean.
    It is similar to the usage of ripping a DVD, when they actually mean ripping and re-encoding.
    Problem occurs when the term Blu-ray DVD is used to mean an AVCHD disc or a Blu-ray disc.

Hahah! When I see ripping a DVD I usually just think they mean to rip the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders to their harddrive. Oh well.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    They do?
    Seriously ?!?!?!

Yep, because we have never seen people here refer to Bluray as Bluray dvd's.......
    LOL!!!

But he does say he can see the folders so......

Do we have another one post wonder ??
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    But he does say he can see the folders so......
    If it is blue ray structure on a DVD then he doesn't need to convert. Just use the right player like Baldrick said

Each homemade disc has a BDMV folder, and inside that folder are more folders labeled BACKUP, CLIPINF, PLAYLIST, and STREAM, as well as two files called index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv
    Can he see them or has he been told that is the structure present.
    Quote Quote