VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everybody,

when I record some tv shows broadcasted via DVB-T using DVBViewer, sometimes some discontinuities happen like the one shown in the following screenshot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap1.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	506.4 KB
ID:	22208

This is very annoying, especially when you want to record something you care about and wish to store.
    I usually try to fix these errors using either PVAStrumento, Project X or Videoredo and choosing the one which gives me the best results (often Project X).

Here's my question: is there a way to perfectly fix discontinuities once they happen? I'm talking about, let's say, just one discontinuity in a two hour long file, in other words, not something so bad which would make the video unplayable.

In the particular case of the screenshot above, for instance, is there a way to fix those blocks?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No. The video looks as it does because some of the information needed to construct the video frame is missing, There isn't any consumer software able to restore the missing information automatically.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by FrankDrebin View Post
    is there a way to perfectly fix discontinuities once they happen?
    Of course not. The compressed video stream was corrupted before it got to you. The only way to fix it is record the show again and replace the bad section.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm assuming when you use ProjectX your are using it in Demux mode as this is the only mode that really attempts to fix transmission errors? If not try Demux mode and post the ProjectX log file. Generally if you have more than 24 errors reported then you are going to have visual or sync problems. Also it might be worth posting the X.ini file to take a look at all the settings.

X.ini is normally found in the projectx folder but some installations put it in the temp folder under users.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    I'm assuming when you use ProjectX your are using it in Demux mode as this is the only mode that really attempts to fix transmission errors? If not try Demux mode and post the ProjectX log file. Generally if you have more than 24 errors reported then you are going to have visual or sync problems. Also it might be worth posting the X.ini file to take a look at all the settings.

X.ini is normally found in the projectx folder but some installations put it in the temp folder under users.
    Yes, I use ProjectX in Demux mode.

I attached both the X.ini file (I had to change the extension to .txt otherwise I couldn't have put it on here) and the ProjectX log file.

Thanks in advance!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try these settings - page number will be wrong

# Project-X INI
    # ProjectX 0.90.04.00.b29 / 21.02.2009

# Application
    Application.ActiveDirectory=P:\BeyonwizTransfers
    Application.Agreement=1
    Application.Language=en

# AudioPanel
    AudioPanel.fillGapsWithLastFrame=1

# CollectionPanel
    CollectionPanel.CutMode=0

# ExportPanel
    ExportPanel.SplitSize=0
    ExportPanel.SplitSize.Value=32
    ExportPanel.Streamtype.Ac3Audio=1
    ExportPanel.Streamtype.MpgAudio=1
    ExportPanel.Streamtype.MpgVideo=1
    ExportPanel.Streamtype.PcmAudio=1
    ExportPanel.Streamtype.Subpicture=1
    ExportPanel.Streamtype.Vbi=1
    ExportPanel.createSubDirName=1

# ExternPanel
    ExternPanel.createCellTimes=0
    ExternPanel.createChapters=1
    ExternPanel.exportPts=1
    ExternPanel.renameAudio=1
    ExternPanel.renameVideo=1

# LogwindowPanel
    LogwindowPanel.showTtxHeader=1

# MainPanel
    MainPanel.ConversionMode=0
    MainPanel.enablePostProcessing=1
    MainPanel.useAllCollections=1

# MessagePanel
    MessagePanel.leadingTimeIndex=1

# OptionPanel
    OptionPanel.DebugLog=0
    OptionPanel.ScanBuffer=2048000
    OptionPanel.StartPath.Value=P:\BeyonwizTransfers
    OptionPanel.additionalInputBuffer=1

# SpecialPanel
    SpecialPanel.TS.HeaderMode=0
    SpecialPanel.TS.generateTtx=0

# SubtitlePanel
    SubtitlePanel.ChangeDisplay=0
    SubtitlePanel.SubtitleExportFormat=SRT
    SubtitlePanel.SubtitleExportFormat_2=null
    SubtitlePanel.TtxExportBoxedOnly=0
    SubtitlePanel.TtxPage1=801
    SubtitlePanel.TtxPage2=null
    SubtitlePanel.TtxPage3=null
    SubtitlePanel.decodeHiddenRows=1
    SubtitlePanel.decodeMegaradio=0
    SubtitlePanel.exportAsVobSub=0
    SubtitlePanel.exportTextAsUTF8=0
    SubtitlePanel.exportTextAsUnicode=0
    SubtitlePanel.keepOriginalTimecode=1
    SubtitlePanel.rebuildPTS=1

# VideoPanel
    VideoPanel.ChangeBitrateInFirstSequence=2
    VideoPanel.patchToInterlaced=0
    VideoPanel.patchToProgressive=0

# WindowPosition
    WindowPosition.Main.Height=1028
    WindowPosition.Main.Width=1556
    WindowPosition.Main.X=86
    WindowPosition.Main.Y=6
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Try these settings - page number will be wrong
    Do I have to just create a new INI file pasting all of your settings inside?
    I tried doing just that and hitting "Quickstart" in ProjectX: I got the exact same results which I had gotten with the previous INI file.

If there's anything else I can do, I want to thank all of you anyway for your help.
    Last edited by FrankDrebin; 20th Dec 2013 at 06:05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you still get the same number errors with my ini settings versus yours? If so I think it proves there was a major signal glitch on the original. Apart from some "creative" editing around the breakup point there is not much you can do. One final thing if you can upload the TS file some of us may be able to try various treatments and see if there is a solution. What I suggest is pop it in ProjectX and edit top and tail to a manageable length and make an output using "To TS" rather than demux. This will leave the header intact and all the contents of the TS file. Good luck..
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Did you still get the same number errors with my ini settings versus yours? If so I think it proves there was a major signal glitch on the original. Apart from some "creative" editing around the breakup point there is not much you can do.
    Yes, I got the same number of errors, unfortunately.

As far as "creative" editing goes, I did something kind of crazy: I was able to download the episode of the game show I had recorded from the official television channel website. I took the non corrupted frames (mostly the face of the guy speaking) out of the downloaded video, cropped the unnecessary parts away, positioned them right on top of the "discontinuity blocks" showing in my corrupted recording and blurred the edges only a little bit to blend everything together. It's not perfect, of course, but it's certainly better than before, I think.

Thanks everybody for your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No way ever. You can twiddle it, but it is not good afterwards.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote