VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, there's this one subtitles I want to add to my own DVD rip. The subtitles come from fansub source. I want to extract the .ass and mergue it with MKVToolnix to get it on my own rip. I extract the subtitles with "MKVExtractGUI". It all goes well until I merge or open it with my own rip. The subtitles loses the styles and the original fonts and stuff and replaces them instead with an ugly default looking one.

What do I do to extract and mergue the subtitles to my rip exactly with the same styles, fonts, everything?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post a short sample from the extracted ass subtitle?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
    I want to add to my own DVD rip.
    In addition to what Baldrick asked about your subs, what do you mean by 'DVD rip'? In what format is this 'rip'? To 'rip' a DVD just means to decrypt it to the hard drive but I think you're using it to mean you (or someone else) converted the DVD to some other format.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I rarely work with subtitles but if a subtitle file uses a special font, doesn't the font in question need to be added to the MKV as an attachment? If so, the font would probably need to be extracted and muxed too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can attach a font in mkvmergegui by doing so in the attachment tab. A number of posts but is discussed here http://forum.aegisub.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=379&view=unread
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. I agree with hello_hello, sounds like the fonts used with the styles are missing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. When I extract with MKVExtractGUI I do see the attachments on the files to extract, and I click to extract them too but I don't see them anywhere.

Attachment, where? More explaining please.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
    When I extract with MKVExtractGUI I do see the attachments on the files to extract, and I click to extract them too but I don't see them anywhere.

Attachment, where? More explaining please.
    There are 2 programs with distinct functions MKVExtractGui to extract subs etc and MKVMergeGui to put everything back together.

To MERGE you use MKVMergeGui - look at the top of the program just below the menu's you will see Input - Attachments - Global - Chapter editor
    In the main window add you video, audio and subtitle tracks then go to the attachments tab and then click the add button and add in your special font if needed. Note this won't work with SRT subs.
    Last edited by netmask56; 19th Dec 2013 at 19:44. Reason: claifying and tidying post
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  9. Try MKVCleaver rather the MKVExtractGUI.

If that doesn't work, open the MKV containing the subtitles with MKVMergeGUI. You should see any attachments under the attachments tab.
    Add the MKV to which you wish to add the subtitles. Deselect any video and audio streams from the first MKV (not the subtitles, obviously), re-order the remaining streams if you want to, then save the output as a new MKV. Hopefully that'll keep the subtitles with attachments intact.
    Quote Quote