VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I just acquired a Panasonic 1980P VCR because I need to digitize some problematic tapes. I have tried capturing with Premiere Pro CC and WinDV and both programs hang without actually capturing anything. I cannot even use task manager to quit either program; I have to restart Windows 7 64 bit. While troubleshooting, I disconnected the red and white audio cables and left the S-VHS cable attached and then was able to capture video only. That narrowed the problem to the audio. I flipped some switches on the VCR and reconnected the audio and could finally capture sound and video. That was last night. This morning I turned everything on and started to capture and have run into the same problem with hanging while capturing. Flipping switches does not help.

Anyone have any ideas??

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was trying to capture using my laptop that has a firewire port. I tried using my desktop (with the ADVC-55 unit) and am able to capture with no problem. So apparently the problem lies with my laptop's firewire port.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course you're going to have problems capturing with a setup designed to capture from firewire. I'm assuming you don't have a firewire port installed on your desktop. If you want to capture with a Canopus to WinDV you should only be doing it via firewire.

(The choice of VCR isn't your problem, since the Pannie is good at handling many trouble tapes. But I believe this problem you're having will occur with any VCR.)

I'm not sure how Premiere is set to capture, but I remember NeroVision's capture, which was set up to capture via firewire and DV, would hang, and even crash my computer (Win XP), when I'd be experimenting with S-Video cable (not "S-VHS cable") and RCA cable captures on some capture gear.

Then again, if you wish to capture via S-Video cable and RCA red/white, you can do it separately and edit/multiplex. I did this all the time when I liked the video coming out of one VCR and prefer the audio from another. But for what you're doing, I'd recommend using a firewire port (or installing one if you don't have one).
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 19th Dec 2013 at 15:36.
    Been away for a while and busy with work the last few months so I had no time for forums. My apologies for any emails I couldn't get to in time - missed you all! :-)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
    I was trying to capture using my laptop that has a firewire port. I tried using my desktop (with the ADVC-55 unit) and am able to capture with no problem. So apparently the problem lies with my laptop's firewire port.

Brainiac
    Sorry, you lost me here. It reads like your desktop's problem is your laptop's firewire port, which apparently works and is a problem and a problem to your desktop. (???)
    Been away for a while and busy with work the last few months so I had no time for forums. My apologies for any emails I couldn't get to in time - missed you all! :-)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Both my desktop and my laptop have firewire ports. The laptop capture does not work but the desktop capture does. Sorry for any confusion.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, Ok.

I thought you were originally trying with your desktop, and you threw me off with the "S-VHS cable". As I see, you know you should be using firewire with a Canopus and WinDV.

If your desktop is working fine with firewire, and (what I assume is) an exact same setup isn't working with your laptop's firewire port, then just stick with the desktop. I've had several dozen laptops over the years, and their components are usually made of paper IMO, and many ports have stopped working, almost suddenly in many instances.

Then again, I believe desktops are better designed for hard "plumbing work", like capturing, encoding, editing, burning, etc. I know someone may say otherwise, but laptops are better suited to email, word processing, spreadsheets, etc (while you're waiting for your desktop to finish its work).

I wouldn't bother, but if you really need the laptop working, you can try an adapter with a female firewire port to USB, to diagnose, which isn't very expensive (but I don't know if they're any good). That is, if your USB port is still working.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PuzZLer, I have already started using the desktop with ADVC-55 and have given up on using the laptop. The odd thing is I also have a Sony miniDV Video Walkman and it works perfectly with both computers.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You know, maybe it's a bad port on your laptop, that will work when it feels like it, or for what it feels like.

It's kind of like those front USB ports on some desktops. They are very unstable, and they have various levels of flakiness with all sorts of equipment (scanners, printers, cameras, etc). They are there only for convenience. However, that same equipment, on the same PC, would work without hiccup with the USB ports in the back, which are better tuned to the power supply.

(Actually, both USB ports on the front have officially burnt out on one of my PCs).

Maybe it's a similar situation with your laptop, and I wouldn't be surprised. Ports on a laptop are more token based, just to "have one", maybe even as a selling feature, but they are not for long-term, or high performance in my opinion.
    Quote Quote