VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My HD TV records doesn't look so good after upload....
    (watch in 1080p)

Quote Quote  
  2. do you need?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Filter all the noise out of your video. Noise sucks up bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Filter all the noise out of your video. Noise sucks up bitrate.
    How would he do this assuming no prior knowledge of the appropriate techniques?
    TheVoiceIsAnotherPerson ~ BeyonWiz DP-P1 PVR + LiDiC ~ Popcorn C200 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 ~ Yamaha RX-A1030
    Quote Quote  
  5. Use strong temporal and spacial noise filters found in most video editors. And of course, shooting low noise video in the first place is a big help.

Also, whenever possible use completely static backgrounds or strong depth-of-field to get very blurry backgrounds.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Dec 2013 at 19:16.
    Quote Quote  
  6. What's preferable between a noisy and noiseless video at the same bitrate? The noisy video will have unintentional textures from the compression artifacts but the edges will be inferior even with Psy RDO enabled, and the noiseless video will have its oversmoothing of details exasperated by the compression and some distortion on the edges visible which are masked in the other video by the noise.

I prefer the latter but sometimes when I wasn't satisfied with some videos whose nosie couldn't be removed without oversmoothing, I encoded them with x264 with an intentionally lower bitrate than normal because I knew the compression would obliterate the noise anyway. The result to me looked better than encoding the denoised version at the same bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sure, but would you ever intentionally add noise to a clean video to achieve some kind of encoding goal?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Code:
    @ffmpeg -i %1 -vf "scale=iw*min(4096/iw\,2304/ih):ih*min(4096/iw\,2304/ih),pad=4096:2304:(4096-iw)/2:(2304-ih)/2" -c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 18 -c:a libvorbis -q:a 5 output.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 10:20.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Sure, but would you ever intentionally add noise to a clean video to achieve some kind of encoding goal?
    if your source if 10bit and your target is 8bit banding could become a problem if you don't add some noise through dithering, so dithering would be a valid example of adding noise 'noise to a clean video to achieve some kind of encoding goal'
    Quote Quote