VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I just started using this free but good video editor/compositor. It has some great features but they are hidden. It is originally a Japanese program, but MaverickTSE provides an English translated version that you can find in the tools section of VideoHelp.com. Search for AviUtl.

***NOTE: If you get an error when you first run it complaining about missing "MSVCR100.dll", you'll need to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable - x86. Get it here:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555
    Some newer plugins may need Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable. Get it here:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

Anyway I made a video tutorial to help those just starting out as it can get confusing. This 1st tutorial just covers basic editing and exporting. If I have time I may create an advanced composting tutorial in the future...........

P.S. Good luck trying to figure out my Boston accent.............

Here it is:

In this tutorial, I did some advanced editing and composing using Track Masks, Speed Ramps and Animation:

P.S. to watch the videos in full 720p, click the YouTube button on the lower-right corner of the video screen. It will take you to YouTube where you can watch full 720p HD versions...........
    Last edited by racer-x; 2nd Mar 2014 at 05:29. Reason: Update Links
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  2. Good Job. so I may leave over the task of teaching dummies (in video) to you
    I'm glad that you know about the Ctrl-key.... many people overlook this even for some experienced users.

Here are something I want to add:

1> There is a faster way to add filter--- just right click on any inactive or empty area in the property dialog box.
    Also, this is the ONLY way to remove a filter.
    2> When exporting to MP4/MKV, there are some encoding presets available from the "Profile" menu (near the top of x264GUIEx window). This is particularly useful to create standard compliant video for Youtube, NicoNico, Bluray, etc
    3> While holding the Ctrl-key, you can also drag a box to enclose all the objects for selection.

BTW, will you upload the video to Youtube?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lol..dig the bawstun ackscent racer...for your next video...change it to a Southern accent like mine

I'll give you 100% for the effort on this one. You don't see too many out there posting simple how-to vids on complicated software

If it weren't for this thread I would never have known how much AviUtils can do. Thanks for the heads up
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I deleted the video and uploaded two video tutorials to YouTube and posted them above. It looks like you can only view them in 720p if you view them at youtube, just click the youtube button in the lower-right corner of the video screen.

That will probably be my last tutorial however as they can be a PIA. Much harder than doing the editing...................
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you! The second video is excellent.
    Nothing to add really, x-racer, I salute you

Making video tutorial is really a PIA, hopefully reader will understand this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you MaverickTse for providing an English translated version.............

I want to point out that my testing revealed that the current versions happen to like avi, mkv, flv, m2v and mp4, but they don't like mov or any of the "Transport Streams" such as TS, MTS, m2t or m2ts. The video clip I used in the 2nd tutorial was a 60fps AVCHD file that would not import. I actually repacked it into a 30fps (half-speed) mp4 file without re-encoding with AviDemux > TS Muxer > MP4Box.

The latest version does import Avisynth scripts directly so it can virtually import anything however, making it much more versatile..........
    Last edited by racer-x; 18th Dec 2013 at 06:06.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Thank you MaverickTse for providing an English translated version.............

I want to point out that my testing revealed that the current versions happen to like avi, mkv, flv, m2v and mp4, but they don't like mov or any of the "Transport Streams" such as TS, MTS, m2t or m2ts. The video clip I used in the 2nd tutorial was a 60fps AVCHD file that would not import. I actually repacked it into a 30fps (half-speed) mp4 file without re-encoding with AviDemux > TS Muxer > MP4Box.

The latest version does import Avisynth scripts directly so it can virtually import anything however, making it much more versatile..........
    Please upload some samples of TS file... the ExtraPack actually has a DirectShow Import filter, but places at a lower priority than L-Smash.
    [File> ENVIRONMENT SETTINGS> Import Plugin Priority]

Thx.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried changing the ENVIRONMENT SETTINGS> Import Plugin Priority. Setting DirectShow to highest didn't work for me.

Here is a short sample of the Camera source 60 fps MTS file:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Played around a little today and managed to create some Blu-Ray compliant streams, as reported by DVDA 5.2 anyway. You need to set the correct frame rate however.

Example: 24000/1001 (not 23.976) 30000/1001 (not 29.97) 60000/1001 (not 59.94).

I also figured out how to group imported assets by default, see figure below:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	grouping.png
Views:	13997
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	22194  

Quote Quote  
  10. I didn't test your sample, but importing various transport streams works here ; it's just not a default registered filetype

Type in "*.*" (without the quotes) in the open dialog box for the name , or in the dropdown menu files of type "Allfile (*.*)"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well what do ya know..........I can't drag and drop the MTS into the timeline, but I can manually open it if go the long route by creating new video and audio objects then linking the reference files.

It's still a lot faster to just drag and drop an Avisynth script with "DirectShowSource" as input into the timeline however..........

Thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  12. MTS files work fine here drag & dropping to the background video

I tried some 1080p60 files - no problem . Then I downloaded yours - no problem

I'm thinking you meant the other layers 1,2,3 .... ? Drop & drag doesn't work for the other layers with transport streams, you have to go through the dialog box
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah it's weird, I can drag and drop into the program background, but not timeline layers. But then I can't manipulate. No problem drag and drop Avisynth scripts into layers. Probably some kind of bug or something...........
    Quote Quote  
  14. Another preference thing that bugs me - I would have liked the "background" track to be displayed as a layer as well in the "advanced editing" window. e.g. Track 0
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah.......this won't replace my NLE (Vegas), but I will be saying goodbye to Virtualdub. This is just as quick, yet a lot more features and options..........
    Quote Quote  
  16. The drag and drop support is part of an extensible options set in exedit.ini
    The attached INI added support for TS D&D.
    Just replace the original exedit.ini in AviUtl's folder with this one.

I can also confirm that the TS file works on my PC too. A nice dog

At the time of writing, I am going to release the English version of QSVEnc and an AMD's VCE(VideoCodecEngine) encoding plugin very soon (the GUI encoder using Intel QuickSync was not translated in ExtraPack 1.3). So check my blog, say, after 1 hours you read this.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by MaverickTse; 19th Dec 2013 at 03:44.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Yeah.......this won't replace my NLE (Vegas), but I will be saying goodbye to Virtualdub. This is just as quick, yet a lot more features and options..........
    I would not recommend abandoning Virtualdub completely since there are a few operations can not be done in AviUtl or somewhat complicated---
    1) Export a list of keyframes for use with AegisSub
    2) Direct stream copy
    (probably some more?)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The drag and drop support is part of an extensible options set in exedit.ini
    The attached INI added support for TS D&D.
    Just replace the original exedit.ini in AviUtl's folder with this one.

I can also confirm that the TS file works on my PC too. A nice dog

At the time of writing, I am going to release the English version of QSVEnc and an AMD's VCE(VideoCodecEngine) encoding plugin very soon (the GUI encoder using Intel QuickSync was not translated in ExtraPack 1.3). So check my blog, say, after 1 hours you read this.
    Attached Files
    Awsome, it works like a charm. I didn't know it would be that easy. I went and added .mov video and audio to the list in exedit.ini and now can drag and drop MOV files too.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a quick little intro logo I made in a couple of minutes using Text, Diffusion filter and an animated mask. It's simple, but still cool enough to use. Along with the clip, I'm attaching the project files in a .zip so anyone can take a look and see how it was done. If you want to change the text, you'll need to change it in both text tracks to keep it the same.......
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by racer-x; 21st Dec 2013 at 06:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just discovered this program has very convincing rain and snow generators. It will come in handy when I edit my next Xmas video............

Here's a quick example of the snow generator:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Just discovered this program has very convincing rain and snow generators. It will come in handy when I edit my next Xmas video............

Here's a quick example of the snow generator:

Actually there is a "particle output" object, and you can make it rain stars, feathers, cherry petals.... and the origin of particle emission can move around.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I used the "Cloud" generator filter, flipped 180 and reversed it to make the effect of melted snow drifting downstream. Very nice effect. I won't post the video, but here is a downsized frame grab:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	xmas540.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	517.6 KB
ID:	22294  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All I can say is anyone that thinks you can't create high quality special effects with free s/w, has never tried AviUtl............

The first attached clip shows before/after my snow effect. The 2nd clips shows AviUtl has no trouble working in 3D space. I like that I can replace images and video references while it saves all coordinate settings.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    All I can say is anyone that thinks you can't create high quality special effects with free s/w, has never tried AviUtl............

The first attached clip shows before/after my snow effect. The 2nd clips shows AviUtl has no trouble working in 3D space. I like that I can replace images and video references while it saves all coordinate settings.
    You've surprised me by daring to venture into the 3D features....
    well, since now that you've discovered it, I'd suggest you to try panning, zooming and object tracking:
    http://mavericktse.is-a-geek.com/wordpress/archives/1183

I did not include object tracking in that article, but basically, it is just a change of "Target ly" to "X+a" (i.e. the layer no. for the object you want to track)

Here is an old video tutorial in JP (the settings are slightly different from the current version of Adv.Editing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtskuRbJpoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Vzg6yZCHk
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I figured out basic panning and tracking. I'll learn more as I experiment further..........
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    I figured out basic panning and tracking. I'll learn more as I experiment further..........
    A good start indeed.
    No need to rush however.

Take a rest, its Christmas now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I've got the 3-D panning and tracking down about as good as I'll ever need from this program..........
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  28. New version out with new SFX:

Sample Project: (see attached file. MD5: C5FA77FC8E3FCD016EF4A6F065178DB6)

For usage of the plugins, check the Changlog page on my blog
    (contains links to individual plugins)

*Installation supplementary note for v1.4:
    The program may ask for a .LDP file on first launch.
    (Thought it didn't do so when testing on my PC... probably an absolute path issue)
    Then select the "logodata.ldp" inside the .\Plugins folder.
    This file is essential for the delogo plugin only.
    If not using the delogo function, delete delogo.auf and logoscan.auf in .\Plugins folder. Otherwise, it will ask for the ldp file on every launch until you select the file.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by MaverickTse; 30th Dec 2013 at 07:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome.......more new filters to play with, thanks for the translated update. I played around a little and like what the Sepia Noise filter did for my countdown leader. It gives it that nice old-time look.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by racer-x; 30th Dec 2013 at 15:50.
    Quote Quote