VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In a effort to get smoother subtitles in DVD, I was experimenting with Subtitles Creator (not Subtitle Creator) that allows you to convert srt subtitles to a sst subtitle file that Muxman can use to make DVD. The problem is Muxman will only work with the 4 bit subtitles (see screenshot, red circle). If I choose the 16 bit subtitles (which gives notably smoother letters), Muxman won't allow me to input the sst subtitle file.
    Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD subtitles do not use 16-bit color in the way that you imagine.

There are only 16 colors in the color table for DVD subtitles. Each of the 16 colors in the DVD subtitle color table is reserved for a specific use. Only one of the colors in the table is reserved for anti-aliasing, and so anti-aliasing is extremely limited. (In addition one color is reserved for the text outline, one color is reserved for the text itself and one color is reserved for the text background.)
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Dec 2013 at 10:30. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    The problem is Muxman will only work with the 4 bit subtitles (see screenshot, red circle).
    No authoring program will accept 16-bit SST files. It's nothing to do with Muxman but the DVD specs (to emphasize unusually_quiet's point).

If this Subtitles Creator doesn't allow you to create an anti-alias color in your subs (and from the screenshot it doesn't seem to), switch to a program that does. I use MaestroSBT and create nicely anti-aliased SST subtitles for use in Muxman.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Manono, can you please give a screenshot (on MaestroSBT) or brief description telling me which settings you choose on MaestroSBT to get the best subtitles (from srt) that will go in Muxman?
    Last edited by jimdagys; 15th Dec 2013 at 20:05.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've written instructions a couple of times. Here:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/349322-Best-way-to-convert-MKV-to-DVD-with-nice-loo...=1#post2187974

and here:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319972-Test-sup-files?p=1982301&viewfull=1#post1982301

MaestroSBT accepts only SSA subs as input and I'll assume you know how to convert SRT to SSA. If you have any problems, just ask.
    Quote Quote