VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I am currently using a HD PVR 2 GE+ to record from a satellite receiver. Due to vendor lock in there is no way to use your own receiver.
    The reason I got the HD PVR2 is because it supported 5.1 capturing of the audiotrack. Unfortunately, every time I capture something with 5.1 sound the outputted video is unusable. The capturing applications (Hauppauge Capture and Showbiz) randomly freeze for a few seconds and then continue. After this happens the file shows up with incorrect length and you can't edit it. The only way I found around this is to use TSMuxer to remux the stream. Unfortunately the audio and video get out of sync when doing this.
    Has anyone else used this capture device and experienced the same issues?
    Contacting Hauppauge about this hasn't helped much, so I was thinking of getting rid of the HDPVR and recording the 5.1 sound separately. What hardware would I need to do this with?
    Last edited by RenkliArif; 14th Dec 2013 at 20:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I am being a little slow today but the first part of your post does not make much sense. You say you can not use your own receiver so what receiver are you using ? Just in case this is relevant to any response ?

I would also suggest that you expand on your issue by describing the connections you are making from the receiver to the PVR and then the settings on the software.

We have no knowledge of your system so tell us about that as well in case that holds the key.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Maybe I am being a little slow today but the first part of your post does not make much sense. You say you can not use your own receiver so what receiver are you using ? Just in case this is relevant to any response ?
    Thanks for taking the time to reply =)
    What I mean by "not being able to use your own receiver" is that normally you can just take out the card from your satellite provider and use any receiver to watch/record your tv channels. However, I am using a provider where this is impossible (Digiturk) and I have to use their own receiver.
    The receiver I am using is a Sagecom STB7108. There isn't any info available on the internet though. It is a HD satellite receiver.

I would also suggest that you expand on your issue by describing the connections you are making from the receiver to the PVR and then the settings on the software.
    The receiver is connected through an HDMI splitter to the HD PVR2. I have tried both HDMI and S/PDIF as audio source. Both result in the same error.
    The Showbiz application is the version that comes with the Hauppauge installation CD and the Hauppauge Capture is the latest beta from the site as of now. Previous versions of Hauppauge Capture also result in the same problem.
    In the settings I haven't changed much. The bitrate is set to 14Mbps and "Dısable HDMI AC3 support" is unchecked in both applications. The video resizing and filtering options have been left alone altogether.

We have no knowledge of your system so tell us about that as well in case that holds the key.
    My system is as follows:
    Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD64
    CPU: i7 2600k @ Stock
    RAM: 8GB (DDR3-1600)
    GPU: GTX570
    SSD: Vertex 2 128GB (Where I record to)

I can't think of anything else to add so please tell me if I forgot something.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I would have thought that you can only capture 5.1 through the spdif. Some software show this source as hdmi which is rather confusing.

Did you try 'checking' that box since sound output is uncompressed.

The problem, of course, could be the splitter. Is it simple pass-through or is it stripping hdcp as well ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well I would have thought that you can only capture 5.1 through the spdif. Some software show this source as hdmi which is rather confusing.

Did you try 'checking' that box since sound output is uncompressed.

The problem, of course, could be the splitter. Is it simple pass-through or is it stripping hdcp as well ?
    The splitter is an active powered one which strips HDCP yes.
    When I set the satellite receiver to stereo the recording works fine. Also I tried connecting the S/PDIF to my Z906 and watch it that way. The playback is fine but the recording is not. I would share some sample files but I don't know if its allowed since it contains copyrighted material.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have just one more thought.

Are you certain that the program being transmitted has 5.1 audio ?. You could never capture 5.1 from a 2.0 source.
    Quote Quote  
  7. All speakers light up on the Z906 if I connect it to that so I assume it is. The Hauppauge and Showbiz apps show 5.1 Dolby Digital on certain channels and 2.0 on others with only MPEG audio.
    Since I couldn't figure out what to do both audio and video at once I was thinking of capturing the video with 2.0 sound and capture the audio again with 5.1 and then muximg them together. I don't know how to capture 5.1 sound separately though...
    Quote Quote