VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a freeware video editor that can do PIP and output to HD? And with transparency, position and re-size features? I have HD .mpg, .ts and .mp4 files(home videos).

More than 10 years ago, I used Ulead for this purpose. It came free with a CD/DVD drive but can only do SD. I have some free video converters that can watermark still images and insert music. Would be nice if I can insert another video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just downloaded AviUtl and experimented on an old mp4 I shot with a Kodak Zx5. It has a lot of advanced features that are hidden. I had to click around everywhere to find the things I wanted, but it worked pretty well for a free NLE. It supports multiple video track layers, so PIP should be a breeze......

Here is something I quickly whipped up and output via the x264 output plugin:
    Image Attached Files
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, guys.

Racer-X, I was expecting a PIP in your sample but didn't see it. Anyway, I'll take your word for it and try this software.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just downloaded it and yes, it supports layers, PIP, transparency, compositing modes, resizing, position .

Supports multiple file formats for import (looks like it has avisynth, ffmpeg, vapoursynth and l-smash support)

Includes quite a number of effects, and filters ; and there are quite a few features that are "hidden" as racer-x mentioned above

It doesn't appear to support custom animations or keyframes by default, but is limited to a drop down menu of presets when animating objects/layers . (After a quick search, there appears to be Japanese plugin separate from the english package that might be able to add animation from a keyframe list, but I can't seem to get it to work)

I can't see to find a way to "close" individual entries the effects/filter stack. Once you add a filter, you can disable it ,and "twirl" up the menu to save space, but I can't seem to remove it from the filter stack . Maybe Maverick knows?

My initial impression is it's pretty good and lightweight for a simple multilayer editor . It would be greatly improved with user controlled keyframing for parameters
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Racer-X, I was expecting a PIP in your sample but didn't see it. Anyway, I'll take your word for it and try this software.
    Here is a quick test of PIP. The right PIP is animated with "Tremor" animation effect...................

To disable filter chain, Right-Click on filter and choose "Remove Filter Effect"....................
    Image Attached Files
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

It doesn't appear to support custom animations or keyframes by default, but is limited to a drop down menu of presets when animating objects/layers . (After a quick search, there appears to be Japanese plugin separate from the english package that might be able to add animation from a keyframe list, but I can't seem to get it to work)
    Custom animation is supported by LUA scripting. Actually many built-in filters/animation effects starts from community-contributed scripts.

About making keyframe-animation:
    (Ref: http://madeinpc.blog50.fc2.com/blog-entry-769.html )
    1> Rename your images as consecutive numbers and put them in a single folder
    2> In the Adv.Editing panel, add a "Video file" object
    3> Click the "reference file" button and select the file with the smallest number
    (AviUtl SHOULD read the remaining files automatically)

Alternatively, you can add a series of "Image" objects on the timeline manually and adjust their lengths

For anyone who has not used AviUtl before, PLEASE, read the articles marked as [Newbie Must Read] in my "non-official guide" first.(The url was already listed on Videohelp's AviUtl page)
    Otherwise, some people may spend hours or even days exploring the software but getting nowhere.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by MaverickTse View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

Custom animation is supported by LUA scripting. Actually many built-in filters/animation effects starts from community-contributed scripts.

About making keyframe-animation:
    (Ref: http://madeinpc.blog50.fc2.com/blog-entry-769.html )
    1> Rename your images as consecutive numbers and put them in a single folder
    2> In the Adv.Editing panel, add a "Video file" object
    3> Click the "reference file" button and select the file with the smallest number
    (AviUtl SHOULD read the remaining files automatically)

Alternatively, you can add a series of "Image" objects on the timeline manually and adjust their lengths
    Thanks, but that refer to importing an image sequence (e.g material generated in another program). It's not what people refer to as "keyframe animation"

Most basic NLE's use keyframes to control their parameters e.g. position, scale, rotation, opacity, etc... so parameters can be "animatable" or change over time . For example, if you wanted to animate a layer in, you could set a keyframe for the start and end , plus the type of keyframes used; or most will have "auto" keyframes which automatically set them when you move or change a parameter . More advanced ones have curves to control the keyframes interpolation . There appears to be "preset" animations in AviUtl, but many users would probably want more control

As for LUA scripting to control animation - it's probably way beyond most basic users. Again, most NLE's have the ability to control parameters over time without scripting . That would make AviUtl much more powerful and accessible to a wider audience
    Quote Quote  

8. Thanks, but that refer to importing an image sequence (e.g material generated in another program). It's not what people refer to as "keyframe animation"

Most basic NLE's use keyframes to control their parameters e.g. position, scale, rotation, opacity, etc... so parameters can be "animatable" or change over time . For example, if you wanted to animate a layer in, you could set a keyframe for the start and end , plus the type of keyframes used; or most will have "auto" keyframes which automatically set them when you move or change a parameter . More advanced ones have curves to control the keyframes interpolation . There appears to be "preset" animations in AviUtl, but many users would probably want more control

As for LUA scripting to control animation - it's probably way beyond most basic users. Again, most NLE's have the ability to control parameters over time without scripting . That would make AviUtl much more powerful and accessible to a wider audience
    If you are referring to this feature (semi-auto tweening?), try clicking the "Middle buttons" in the property box
    |---------I--------| [Parameter Name]|---------I--------|
    Left Slider ____ Middle Button___ Right Slider

1> Clicking the Middle Button will give a list of change types(linear change, acceleration/deceleration...etc.), select one.
    2> Use the left slider to set the initial state of the object
    3> Use the right slider to set the final state of the object
    *> You can add mid-pts. in an object by using the right-click menu

LUA scripting is used for complex stuff,e.g. firework simulation, graph plotting, weather simulation, glass breaking effect...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by MaverickTse View Post

Thanks, but that refer to importing an image sequence (e.g material generated in another program). It's not what people refer to as "keyframe animation"

If you are referring to this feature (semi-auto tweening?), try clicking the "Middle buttons" in the property box
    |---------I--------| [Parameter Name]|---------I--------|
    Left Slider ____ Middle Button___ Right Slider

1> Clicking the Middle Button will give a list of change types(linear change, acceleration/deceleration...etc.), select one.
    2> Use the left slider to set the initial state of the object
    3> Use the right slider to set the final state of the object
    *> You can add mid-pts. in an object by using the right-click menu

LUA scripting is used for complex stuff,e.g. firework simulation, graph plotting, weather simulation, glass breaking effect...
    Thanks! Yes I am referring to that . That makes it much more useful for the average person

Is there any additional english documentation for the program other than your website ? , or examples of LUA scripting ?

It's really a cool little program
    Quote Quote  
  10. There is only one that I know of --- http://www.htasoft.com/aviutl/aviutl.htm

However, it was written before I translate this application into English.
    There are some articles scattering around in the Doom9 and this forum, but probably they are too old to be of any value.

Note that my first release of the translated version of AviUtl was published on this site in September 2013, so the Western world (or the non-JP speaking area) still barely know about this program.

Have a quick look into any AV-related forum, you will still find most people talking about the OLD virtualdub(mod), the script-based AviSynth, Sony Vegas that bundled with some Camcorder and the expensive AfterEffect.

You may find a bit more from Youtube, but again, most are in JP.

I would not recommend you to learn LUA right from the start, but if you want to, have a look at the translated LUA.txt on my site:
    http://mavericktse.is-a-geek.com/wordpress/archives/1188

the LUA language has its own official site and English documentation and should be easily found by googling. Note however, some functions are AviUtl-only.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks MaverickTse for those great tips! I was able to import an old 3-D baseball image sequence I created years ago in blender. I then animated it using tweening and gave it a shadow. Very cool I think for a free but powerful NLE..............

Here's the 3-D bouncing baseball:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  12. Pretty nice, but setting the physics property right is really difficult If you have the time, I'd recommend checking out MikuMikuDance (aka. MMD) and Metasequoia if you haven't heard of them before.

These are easier to use than Blender (Metasequoia for modelling, MMD for motion assembly), also comes with English interface, but less robust than Blender (particularly the physics engine).

In the Asia rim, NicoNico Douga (a JP video site) get a lot of high-quality user-made 3D animations, and most of them are made just from these freeware and shareware. Check them out and you may be surprised that 3DCG has became quite accessible for the general public.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This AviUtl really is a nifty little program with lots of hidden features. What it needs is some nice video tutorials to show them. I don't have the time, so I can't do them...........

Anyway I figured out how to work with track masks in AviUtl and it works very well. I made this Motion Menu example to illustrate:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM

Otherwise, some people may spend hours or even days exploring the software but getting nowhere.
    You're right. I couldn't figure out even the first step in inserting a second video. Sorry, my capability is only for drag-and-drop. Could someone kind enough to tell me the first three steps? Actually, my problem is how to put video file in the layer. Hopefully, I can figure out the rest.
    Last edited by edong; 15th Dec 2013 at 15:40.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by edong View Post

You're right. I couldn't figure out even the first step in inserting a second video. Sorry, my capability is only for drag-and-drop. Could someone kind enough to tell me the first three steps? Hopefully, I can figure out the rest.

1) settings => advanced editing . This will bring up the "timeline" for inserting other layers

2) right click in the timeline area of "layer 1" => new media object => video file
    In the new dialog box, click on "reference file" button and navigate to the video file you want to open

It's a bit different in that layers on the bottom "cover up" layers above . ie. the stack order is opposite to what most NLE's and image editing programs are normally like
    Quote Quote  
  16. The more I play with it, the more I'm impressed with it. It's really a fantastic , free little program . Thanks again to MaverickTse for the English translation

I was going to compare AviUtl to the freeware debugmode wax - because of the multitrack and compositing features - but it's much more stable, much more powerful than wax, and functions better overall (wax crashes alot). More support for different file formats.

I wouldn't really call it a full featured NLE, but it combines a bunch of the functions of an editor, compositor and effects program all into one . Basic color correction, chroma keying, dozens of other effects. There is even a particle generator!

I could be wrong again as I just played with it quickly, but it lacks some of the frills and "housekeeping" things of editors like media management & organization, and typical editing tools (e.g. ripple edits, insert edits, rolling edits) , bezier masking (pen tool), advanced audio editing, but for basic editing and compositing it can easily get the job done and is fairly lightweight on resources (compared to NLE's)

I suspect there are many "gems", user scripts & extra content but probably only available in japanese

Just some clarifications for the image sequence instructions for importing in the earlier post: If the program won't import the sequence, use the sprintf syntax

e.g

image0000.png
    image0001.png
    image0002.png

In the open dialog box, click on the first image of the sequence replace "image0000.png" with "image%04d" (manually enter the name change) . The "04" is the number of placeholder digits . eg. If it was image00000.png , you would use "image%05d.png"
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 15th Dec 2013 at 15:59.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much for that quick reply, poisondeathray. I got it now. Before your reply, I read the guides and watched the audioless YouTube videos but still couldn't figure that out. Anyway, when opening the program I got this error"
    Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	1395
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	22117

Not sure if that is important but when I clicked Okay, the program seems to work. But I'm still on the first layer. I will do the next steps maybe tomorrow. I can feel already it's a bit technical for me.
    Quote Quote  
  18. It sounds like it might be a Microsoft DirectX component, not sure

The interface might be different than what you're used to , but it's not that difficult or technical to overlay & resize some videos for PIP in this program . You just resize and drag the layer 1 video to wherever you want it with the mouse (or enter the x,y coordinates)
    Quote Quote  
  19. To edong:
    to fullfill all dependency requirement, get the following from Microsoft---
    1> .NET framework 4.0 and later
    2> latest VC redistributable
    3> DirectX9 if using XP, DX11 for Win7
    DX11 may be required in some plugins, but not necessary for the core program and Adv.Editing. If you are using XP, just ignore this error and go ahead.

Concerning the adding of multiple video, basically just drag-and-drop a file on to a (different) track, but if you're completely new to video editing, you may run into....
    1> one video completely covering up the other
    2> You frame cursor (a red vertical line) is in the wrong position

To solve (1), single left-click on the blue box(the video object), and in the property box, find "Zoom%". Click on the value just next to the left silder, then type "25"(This shrink the video by 1/8). Repeat this for the other video.
    For any one of the videos, drag around in the main window to change its center coordinate.
    If done properly, you should see two image.

To resolve (2), first make sure the two blue box (the two video objects) occupy the same time frame (i.e. they stack on top of the other). Then left-click once on the timeline RULER that is DIRECTLY above the blue box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AU-PIP-demo.png
Views:	2841
Size:	712.2 KB
ID:	22125

//
    To poisondeathray and racer-x:
    I am really expecting you guys to be contributing some quality tutorials someday...
    If you happen to make one, please drop me a note via PM or on my blog.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again, mavericktse, poisondeathray and racer-x

I was able to create a 2 minute .avi file which is more than 2GB in size(uncompressed?). Resolution is 640x360.

1. Couldn't find the output choices to select mp4 and resolution size. I know I saw the settings somewhere in the guide
    2. Couldn't find the button to preview/play the work in progress
    3. Not critical, but is there transparency option?
    4. Will I be concerned about codecs so that YouTube and Facebook will take my videos with no problem? Only VLC can play my test video.

Just like you guys said, this one needs a better tutorial for people like me. It will be light years away before I can do what racer-x did in his neat sample, but if I can output to .mp4 with 1280x720 resolution, I'll be a happy guy.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by edong View Post
    Thanks again, mavericktse, poisondeathray and racer-x

I was able to create a 2 minute .avi file which is more than 2GB in size(uncompressed?). Resolution is 640x360.

1. Couldn't find the output choices to select mp4 and resolution size. I know I saw the settings somewhere in the guide
    2. Couldn't find the button to preview/play the work in progress
    3. Not critical, but is there transparency option?
    4. Will I be concerned about codecs so that YouTube and Facebook will take my videos with no problem? Only VLC can play my test video.

Just like you guys said, this one needs a better tutorial for people like me. It will be light years away before I can do what racer-x did in his neat sample, but if I can output to .mp4 with 1280x720 resolution, I'll be a happy guy.
    Frankly I have to say... ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION ON THE GUIDES?

Export to MP4 has been demonstrated HERE in nearly a step-by-step manner->
    http://mavericktse.is-a-geek.com/wordpress/archives/971

For someone who does not pay attention on what he is reading, any guide will be useless.

For transparency, adjust the "clearness" parameter

Video resolution was already set when you create your project. (DO NOT ASK how to do this as this is already illustrated in "Adding/Removing a filter effect from an object — Step-by-Step

")

If you set it wrong, you can use the resize filter (avoid this as that decrease video quality), but it is better to create a new project and rebuild everything again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Racer-x, seems that video tutorial was made specially for me. Thanks.

MaverickTse, you sound and appear upset. I apologize. Please think of this forum like schools. There are books(guides) and of course, teachers/professors(you, racer-x, poisondeathray) to explain them. But I don't blame you and recognize the fact that I owe you and the other guys a couple of steps how to do it. Not to mention the existence of this free neat program in your first reply. Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by edong View Post
    Racer-x, seems that video tutorial was made specially for me. Thanks.

MaverickTse, you sound and appear upset. I apologize. Please think of this forum like schools. There are books(guides) and of course, teachers/professors(you, racer-x, poisondeathray) to explain them. But I don't blame you and recognize the fact that I owe you and the other guys a couple of steps how to do it. Not to mention the existence of this free neat program in your first reply. Cheers!
    Yes, I am pissed. Because I have encountered students/spoiled ladies with such learning attitude when I was working in university (and in forums of my local area from time to time)---
    *People just ask when they have a problem, but they never pay effort to do research on their own.*
    This is still acceptable for medium-difficult problem, but unacceptable for simple one. (kids in kindergarten and junior school are exempted)
    It is even worst when a student complains to the dean that "Professor didn't teach that!" after exam, but in fact, the relevant idea has been written somewhere in the lecture note.

As long as someone has demonstrated that he/she has put in some serious effort before asking, I will greatly help as those questions represents true obstacles or even bugs (see the examples among the comments on my blog). Yet, answering every elementary question will be an annoyance.
    (This is probably why the author of AviUtl, Ken, basically does not provide any tutorial, support and not willing to go international)

A forum is DIFFERENT from (junior) school because when you teach a class of 30 about "1+1", probably >20 students will get it. Yet, in a forum discussion, unless a lot of viewer of similar need and of similar level are gathering on a thread, the conversation is basically1-to-1(or a few). After a while, it is almost certain that another guy, who also didn't do any research, will ask the same silly "1+1" question. [so, get the issue?]
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MaverickTse;

Yes, I am pissed. Because I have encountered students/spoiled ladies with such learning attitude when I was working in university (and in forums of my local area from time to time)---
    *People just ask when they have a problem, but they never pay effort to do research on their own.*
    This is still acceptable for medium-difficult problem, but unacceptable for simple one. (kids in kindergarten and junior school are exempted)
    It is even worst when a student complains to the dean that "Professor didn't teach that!" after exam, but in fact, the relevant idea has been written somewhere in the lecture note.
    When I took autocad and solidworks classes years ago, we had books and 'hand-out' guides, of course. Our instructors will always ask after the end of the lecture , "any questions?" He won't like it when no one asked and will say "don't be afraid to ask because there are NO stupid questions. Just stupid answers." Now I believe what he said about the stupid answers.

And you're right, all students are not created equal. My former boss, who was a brilliant lawyer, could not do CD writing by himself even though I showed him the way more than 10 times. BTW, you said you hope that a quality tutorial be made someday for this program. Why is that?

One piece of advice. Just to avoid your blood pressure going up, you can just ignore questions which annoy you. One thing commendable - you managed to get me the link and steps even though you're pissed. Showed your helping nature. Cheers!
    Quote Quote