VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Location: AAAAa
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DTV decoder that can record on flash stick. Upon recording when I see the files I get these:




    How can I open them and convert them to some proper format AVI or smth? I've tried one idealshare but it doesn't recognize it.

    I played the record from the decoder through the menus and stuff, you can choose what language the record to be played with (although I've specially watched and recorded it in English but if you change, you change the language). Now how do I bring this whole thing to be in ENGLISH only and,naturally, as an AVI..
    Last edited by programm; 13th Dec 2013 at 05:59.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by programm View Post
    I have a DTV decoder that can record on flash stick. Upon recording when I see the files I get these:

    How can I open them and convert them to some proper format AVI or smth? I've tried one idealshare but it doesn't recognize it.

    I played the record from the decoder through the menus and stuff, you can choose what language the record to be played with (although I've specially watched and recorded it in English but if you change, you change the language). Now how do I bring this whole thing to be in ENGLISH only and,naturally, as an AVI..
    It would be a good idea to mention the model for the DTV decoder you have in case someone knows something about your device in particular.

    However, many recording devices use a proprietary format for their recordings or encrypt their recordings to make it difficult to play them with something other than the same box that originally recorded them or convert to other formats.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member netmask56's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2005
    Location: Sydney, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Post a Mediainfo log (text - tree mode) of the TSstrm.dvr so that you can see the real details of the file.
    TheVoiceIsAnotherPerson ~ BeyonWiz DP-P1 PVR + LiDiC ~ Popcorn C200 ~ Samsung ES8000 65" LED TV ~ Windows 7 ~ Yamaha RX-A1030
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Location: AAAAa
    Search Comp PM
    What can I say, it's not anything international that you would know. It's a decoder by the provider (in Europe) and it looks like that

    http://www.zetle.net/myweb/Pics/Offers/ADB-2840C/ADB-2840C_Rear.JPG

    It uses some card to run the coded TV channels that is in a slot on the front. Connected to TV.

    My other question is based on what you see, is there any way to bring what is being played from the decoder into either my laptop or some device that is able to record it? After all, isn't the TV just a monitor for you to see a picture, anything else that could be plugged? In the USB port I plugged the flash to record but how about something that can record the thing being played by the decoder, since its record turned into... these files?

    The record that I have if I can only play from the box, is like having a VoD that you play when you want on your TV, so how about actually recording the played stuff?

    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Post a Mediainfo log (text - tree mode) of the TSstrm.dvr so that you can see the real details of the file.
    All I see is the file location and the size, no real details e.g:

    General
    CompleteName : F:\..AVI\Rec_131213_110444\TSstrm.dvr
    FileSize/String : 507 MiB
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by programm View Post
    What can I say, it's not anything international that you would know. It's a decoder by the provider (in Europe) and it looks like that

    http://www.zetle.net/myweb/Pics/Offers/ADB-2840C/ADB-2840C_Rear.JPG

    It uses some card to run the coded TV channels that is in a slot on the front. Connected to TV.

    My other question is based on what you see, is there any way to bring what is being played from the decoder into either my laptop or some device that is able to record it? After all, isn't the TV just a monitor for you to see a picture, anything else that could be plugged? In the USB port I plugged the flash to record but how about something that can record the thing being played by the decoder, since its record turned into... these files?

    The record that I have if I can only play from the box, is like having a VoD that you play when you want on your TV, so how about actually recording the played stuff?

    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Post a Mediainfo log (text - tree mode) of the TSstrm.dvr so that you can see the real details of the file.
    All I see is the file location and the size, no real details e.g:

    General
    CompleteName : F:\..AVI\Rec_131213_110444\TSstrm.dvr
    FileSize/String : 507 MiB
    Since it appears that the decoder is for a conditional access service of some kind (you pay for the service), the files are almost certainly in a proprietary container file format and encrypted. Your chances of converting the decoder's recordings into another format for portability are not good.

    There are some standard definition PC capture devices that could be used to re-record your decoder's analog standard definition video and analog stereo output. A SCART to composite adapter will be needed for most to work with your decoder.

    You may also be able to re-record the decoder's HDMI output with an HDMI PC capture device, but you could need another device that removes HDCP copy protection to do that. The decoders used by many paid TV services apply HDCP copy protection to their HDMI output.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Location: AAAAa
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There are some standard definition PC capture devices that could be used to re-record your decoder's analog standard definition video and analog stereo output. A SCART to composite adapter will be needed for most to work with your decoder.

    You may also be able to re-record the decoder's HDMI output with an HDMI PC capture device, but you could need another device that removes HDCP copy protection to do that. The decoders used by many paid TV services apply HDCP copy protection to their HDMI output.
    From what I understand, SCART may be the easier way. I have a SCART cable that goes from the box to the TV, another cable that connects the RF Out with the TV and the adapter at the very right that is plugged into an outlet. SO how should the config be with a laptop to get this done somehow?

    http://www.zetle.net/myweb/Pics/Offers/ADB-2840C/ADB-2840C_Rear.JPG
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2001
    Location: Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    It's not as easy as "connecting the box to a laptop". It doesn't work that way. You are still thinking digitally. This is no longer a data transfer. We are now talking about RECORDING from the cable box to another device.....think VCR to VCR and copying a tape.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    As hech54 already told you, you can't connect a SCART output directly to your laptop. Laptops do not have video inputs. Laptops have USB connections, but in order to use a USB to import analog video from a SCART connection, you need a capture device that digitizes video (and preferably stereo audio too).

    This is an example of a USB capture device with a SCART connection
    http://www.terratec.net/en/products/pictures/produkt_bilder_en_92427.html

    This is an example of a USB capture device with no SCART connection for which an adapter would be purchased separately
    http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_usblive2.html

    Example adapter:
    http://www.miniinthebox.com/scart-male-to-rca-composite-female-adapter-for-s-video-aud...FWLNOgodEw4AVw

    (S-Video capture is likely to be better than composite, but that depends on the capture device. Some cheap capture devices do better with composite.)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Location: AAAAa
    Search Comp PM
    So here is the configuration:

    Cable from outside the house reaches the Decoder (box) given by the provider. From the box, there is a cable connecting RF Out and the TV. SCART cable connects the box and the TV. Power adapter from the box to the outlet.

    I have heard of using DVD recorder with a DVD inside (is there any where I could use USB flash stick as the storage item instead of a DVD?), buying a DVB-C tuner for my laptop (powerful one), or with these above, what is the best & easiest I should do in order to record my records played on the Decoder to some format that is usable on a computer (AVI format or any of the known ones).

    I will sure try to get 1920x1080 but whatever the records done with the box are, doesn't matter. I'm lost as to know what to do. I'm talking about Europe but maybe similar configs could be in NA..
    Last edited by programm; 18th Dec 2013 at 13:10.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by programm View Post
    So here is the configuration:

    Cable from outside the house reaches the Decoder (box) given by the provider. From the box, there is a cable connecting RF Out and the TV. SCART cable connects the box and the TV. Power adapter from the box to the outlet.

    I have heard of using DVD recorder with a DVD inside (is there any where I could use USB flash stick as the storage item instead of a DVD?), buying a DVB-C tuner for my laptop (powerful one), or with these above, what is the best & easiest I should do in order to record my records played on the Decoder to some format that is usable on a computer (AVI format or any of the known ones).

    I will sure try to get 1920x1080 but whatever the records done with the box are, doesn't matter. I'm lost as to know what to do. I'm talking about Europe but maybe similar configs could be in NA..
    There is no truly easy way to do what you are trying to do that I am aware of.

    No DVD recorder that I have heard of can record to a USB flash drive or an external HDD instead of a DVD. Those that record to an internal hard drive do the same thing as your decoder to recordings stored there. There are other reasons why using a DVD recorder may not be the solution you are looking for. Since you are using a paid service your decoder box is likely to have copy protection applied to its analog output. Unlike some PC capture devices that accept analog input and their software, DVD recorders obey copy protection in analog signals and may refuse to record some content. Using a DVD recorder could require buying another device that removes analog copy protection.

    I don't know much about DVB-C tuners or the software used with them. I suppose the closest equivalent in the US is a CableCARD tuner, and the software that is used with one will either encrypt recordings or will be prevented from recording copy-protected programming.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Location: AAAAa
    Search Comp PM
    ^ Thanks for the info,

    Here is a sample of the bunch of files created with a record if anyone knows how to bring them to a PC multimedia format:

    http://files.videohelp.com/u/168389/Rec_131220_110341.zip
    Last edited by programm; 20th Dec 2013 at 05:55.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Location: AAAAa
    Search Comp PM
    Ok this 'no way to do it' is some kind of a joke... I see people uploading records from a TV channel aired all across Europe and they do some direct captures, you think their decoders do not use protections and what not or they use magical wand to capture them? this is still digital tv, so just like they have a way to do it, I should be able to do it too, thanks for the offers though..

    Gonna ask them~
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads