VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    These recieve OTA HD and send out composite/HDMI signals. Do they receive channel 3? I wonder would it be possible to send my Sat box channel 3 output and use it's HDMI to record Sat signals?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You would need an old analog TV tuner. And you'll only get SD. If you have an old VCR with a broadcast/cable tuner you can use the composite output from that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    These recieve OTA HD and send out composite/HDMI signals. Do they receive channel 3? I wonder would it be possible to send my Sat box channel 3 output and use it's HDMI to record Sat signals?
    What digital converter box are you referring to? Most are designed to be used with older analog TVs, and so have no abiltiy to send out an HDMI signal, only analog channel 3, composite and very rarely S-Video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Do you mean a box like this one? I don't know of any tuner box (SAT or OTA) that has PVR capabilities that can also record from other input than their tuner. And as Jagabo said, the RF out from any source is going to be old analog, not compatible with digital tuners.
    Quote Quote  
  5. There are such boxes that will output Component and HDMI, I have one.

Never tested it with a coax input from another source, only an antenna.

HD output is possible, though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The OP's description of the unit as a "digital converter box" threw me off.

PVR boxes similar to the one linked to above can only record the output from their digital tuner. They usually output video converted from digital channels or stored recordings on analog channel 3 or 4, as well as their other video outputs. They won't do anything with analog signals they receive, other than possibly pass them through. (The unit linked to in the post above passes through analog signals received via its RF in to its RF out so that a TV, VCR or DVD recorder with an analog tuner can tune them.)
    Quote Quote