VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I have an MPEG-1 video that I want to import it to Final Cut Pro X for editing. Since FCPX doesn't read MPEG-1 video files I have to convert it first. Can you please tell me what is the best method and settings so to get the best possible quality ? I attach and image with the video specs.
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try mpeg streamclip and convert to some lossless format.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If FCPX doesn't automatically convert to Pro Res 422 (which it should), try using MPEGStreamclip. ProRes 422 will give you optimal quality.

edit: Baldrick beat me to it again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Lossless format like Apple ProRes ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, see smrpix answer above.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes he was so fast...!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I am not very familiar with all those settings at mpeg streamclip (interlaced, deinterlace video) so I would like to ask if it is the same to use quicktime player to save my video as mov. I saw that quicktime has two options. One to save as mov and one to export as 480p. Is it ok to use one of the two and then optimise my imported file with final cut pro x ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Chris_Athens View Post
    I am not very familiar with all those settings at mpeg streamclip (interlaced, deinterlace video) so I would like to ask if it is the same to use quicktime player to save my video as mov. I saw that quicktime has two options. One to save as mov and one to export as 480p. Is it ok to use one of the two and then optimise my imported file with final cut pro x ?
    The general principle is to do as little damage to your material as possible -- keep the same frame size and frame rate. You don't want to convert then optimize (convert again) if you can help it.

Most of what you can do in MPEGStreamclip can also be done in Quicktime Pro, the normal free quicktime player is more limited.

AFAIK interlacing isn't supported in MPEG1, keep everything progressive.
    Quote Quote  
  9. By saying that interlacing is not supported at MPEG-1 you mean that it is not possible for a MPEG-1 video to be interlaced? MPEG-1 videos are always progressive?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Chris_Athens View Post
    you mean that it is not possible for a MPEG-1 video to be interlaced? MPEG-1 videos are always progressive?
    Yes.

(But hang around here long enough and you will witness some folks' true genius at screwing up videos.)
    Quote Quote  
  11. By separating fields MPEG-1 can be used also with interlace video (but it is up to operator to restore interlace frame), without this MPEG-1 can be used to compress interlace video as MJPEG (MJPEG also support only progressive).
    Quote Quote