VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have hundreds of old music videos in FLV file format in a directory. When I bring them up in Sheet mode in MediaInfo, I can see that some of them are encoded in AVC/AAC, while others are in encoded in SorensonH263 or VP6. What I want to do is copy the AVC/AAC encoded files to one directory so I can batch remux them into MP4, while I want to copy the ones encoded in SorensonH263 or VP6 to another directory where I can batch reencode them to MP4. There isn't any point in reencoding the AVC/AAC encoded files if I can get away with just remuxing those ones.

What I was wondering was if there was a tool or an easier way to copy the files to one of those two directories based on the identified video codec without having manually eyeball the video codec in MediaInfo of each file and then select that same file in Windows 7 Explorer. To my knowledge, MediaInfo doesn't let you perform file operations on the files it is showing the info for. Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you could try a batch converter like xmedia recode. Open all files. Click on the audio/video tab to order by different audio/video codec. Remove all the ones that you don't want to convert/remux.

To just remux select Mode: Copy under the Video tab and Audio tab.

edit: I just tried to reorder based on codecs and it doesn't seem to work....
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick! That will work too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does that method work then or does it not reorder? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not here. And I don't know any other batch converter that lists codecs like that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. There's a shell extension that lets you show the audio and video codecs used within media files in Explorer. I don't remember what program it came with. And I don't remember if it worked for FLV files.

Found this post regarding it:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/324527-Add-Codecs-Column-to-Details-in-XP?p=2214811...=1#post2214811

I don't think haali supports FLV.
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Dec 2013 at 10:39.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick's idea worked OK. I basically wanted to see the source file codecs within the encoder and have the ability to select those I wanted to remux vs reencode. Most of the encoders I tried either didn't show the source codecs at all, only indicated the container format, or would not offer a remux option.

Because of those limitations, that was why I was trying to place different files in different directories. Baldrick's idea and the Xmedia Recode tool was just a different means to the same end.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot for everyone's response. I too needed that ability and since Xmedia displayed the codecs as a standard detail panel, I tried going to Windows 7 folder View -> Choose details and found this can be set there also. Just thought it might be good feedback for anyone perusing this thread.
    Thanks again, now I have 2 methods.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_45 Dec. 12 17.59.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	22034
    Quote Quote