VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I haven't seen this addressed elsewhere in the forums, but I wondered if it is possible to upload VHS tapes to a DishPVR 501 in order to digitize them before using my DVD Recorder to make a DVD. I haven't had t.v. service for years, but I still enjoy viewing the programs and movies I recorded before I canceled my satellite service. I intend to transfer those programs over to DVD as well as my VHS tapes.

For most of my tapes, I will simply use the copy feature on my soon-to-arrive JVC SR-MV50US (I'm not expecting perfection on the burned DVDs--just close to what I enjoyed on the tapes). Approximately 30% of my tapes are probably copy protected. I know the JVC won't burn those to DVD directly through the machine. However, the 501 allowed me to record movies with no problems (they're still on the PVR), and given that the 501 is one of the earliest machines, it occurred to me that I might be able to use the PVR to record the tapes and then just transfer the data from the PVR to the DVD Recorder without running into copyright issues.

Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If I read you right, you're saying the 501 is able to record from the VHS; that's interesting. In that case the only thing preventing recording back to DVD would be if upon detecting macrovision on the tapes, the 501 sets a copyright flag on its digital copy.

You could record straight to DVD with a GoDVD between the VHS and DVD recorder. Or, get a PC capture device, record the VHS to your PC, then author a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by grayslady View Post
    I haven't seen this addressed elsewhere in the forums, but I wondered if it is possible to upload VHS tapes to a DishPVR 501 in order to digitize them before using my DVD Recorder to make a DVD. I haven't had t.v. service for years, but I still enjoy viewing the programs and movies I recorded before I canceled my satellite service. I intend to transfer those programs over to DVD as well as my VHS tapes.

For most of my tapes, I will simply use the copy feature on my soon-to-arrive JVC SR-MV50US (I'm not expecting perfection on the burned DVDs--just close to what I enjoyed on the tapes). Approximately 30% of my tapes are probably copy protected. I know the JVC won't burn those to DVD directly through the machine. However, the 501 allowed me to record movies with no problems (they're still on the PVR), and given that the 501 is one of the earliest machines, it occurred to me that I might be able to use the PVR to record the tapes and then just transfer the data from the PVR to the DVD Recorder without running into copyright issues.

Any thoughts?
    I have never heard of a satellite receiver/PVR that can record from anything other than its tuner(s). For one thing, the only analog connections they provide are for output only, so there is no way to connect a VCR and record the VCR's output. For another thing, they lack the ability to digitize and encode video. The recordings stored on the HDD are taken from a digital transmission and recorded in their original format.

My advice is to try to find the contents of your commercial tapes on DVD if you have not already determined that they are unavailable except on VHS. To record commercial VHS tapes with a DVD recorder, it is necessary to connect a digital stabilizer/clarifier like the XDimax Grex http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html (or some other device that removes VHS copy protection) between the VCR and the DVD recorder. ...but since you bought a combo VHS/DVD recorder, I don't think you can do that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The DISH Player-PVR 501 is a PVR from 2001 whose only input is the satellite RF jack. It can't accept VHS or any other source besides satellite dish signals.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Usually_quiet and vaporeon800, you're quite right: re-checked the literature, and everything on the back of the machine is output, except for receiving broadcast signals. Oh well, another $89.00 for a Grex, I guess. Do any of you know whether the Grex will interfere with the JVC's built-in TBC? From what I've read about the Grex, in spite of billing itself as a stabilizer, its main virtue seems to be circumventing Macrovision. Those who've used it say that it doesn't really seem to improve the video quality at all.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by grayslady View Post
    Usually_quiet and vaporeon800, you're quite right: re-checked the literature, and everything on the back of the machine is output, except for receiving broadcast signals. Oh well, another $89.00 for a Grex, I guess. Do any of you know whether the Grex will interfere with the JVC's built-in TBC? From what I've read about the Grex, in spite of billing itself as a stabilizer, its main virtue seems to be circumventing Macrovision. Those who've used it say that it doesn't really seem to improve the video quality at all.
    Don't buy the Grex until you have the JVC unit. Most DVD/VHS combo recorders dub from VHS to DVD using an internal connection and won't allow you the opportunity to connect a Grex or Sima to process the video signal.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Grex, in the FAQ comments section of its website, shows a diagram of how to hook up the product for a combo unit. Presumably, that works; but yes, I'll wait until I receive the machine and also have plenty of time to read the user manual online. It appears there may be a button on the front of the unit to turn off TBC, if necessary. Thanks for the warnings.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by grayslady View Post
    From what I've read about the Grex, in spite of billing itself as a stabilizer, its main virtue seems to be circumventing Macrovision.
    It's illegal to advertize that a device removes Macrovision in the USA. That's why they all claim to be "stabilizers or "clarifiers". Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
    Quote Quote