VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there *anything* out there that can rip a DVD in minutes not hours

I'm using Any Video Convertor (cause I use it for everything else) but it takes hooouuuurrrsss - prolly longer than playback
    So then I tries Handbrake after reading reviews - still ripping awfully s l o w l y
    I can't see why it take so long to just basically convert vob to.mp4 (whatever)
    I used to have same problem converting MKV to MP4 (took forever) until I discovered MKV2MP4 which just repacks with no recoding (except for audio) and it literally does it in 5 minutes
    Is there *anything* out there that can rip a DVD in minutes not hours?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just rip instead of converting. Use for example vob2mpg for non commercial dvds or anydvd, dvdfab decrypter for commercial dvds and use the copy mode.

But you will get a mpg, iso or dvd folder instead of a mp4. I haven't seen any software that can put a dvd into a mp4 without reconverting.

edit: You could try makemkv on the dvd and then mkv2mp4...but that mp4 will not work on most portable devices.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 10th Dec 2013 at 03:30.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Something obvious: If your DVDs are not copy protected then you can just use any file manager (like Explorer) to copy them to your hard disk.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You haven't listed your computer specs, but if it's literally taking hours you may want to consider a faster machine. Slower than realtime for DVD->mp4 is not unrealistic.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jethrouk View Post
    Is there *anything* out there that can rip a DVD in minutes not hours

I'm using Any Video Convertor (cause I use it for everything else) but it takes hooouuuurrrsss - prolly longer than playback
    So then I tries Handbrake after reading reviews - still ripping awfully s l o w l y
    I can't see why it take so long to just basically convert vob to.mp4 (whatever)
    I used to have same problem converting MKV to MP4 (took forever) until I discovered MKV2MP4 which just repacks with no recoding (except for audio) and it literally does it in 5 minutes
    Is there *anything* out there that can rip a DVD in minutes not hours?
    Expanding on what others already said... DVD video is usually MPEG-2 (MPEG-1 is also allowed) and DVD audio is usually AC3 (DTS, PCM, and MPEG-1 Layer2 are also allowed). Those using MP4 usually want H.264 video and a different type of audio instead, so DVD to MP4 converters re-encode the video and audio. Re-encoding MPEG-2 video to H.264 is what makes the process of converting from DVD to MP4 so time-consuming. Re-encoding audio is faster.

On the other hand, simply re-packaging video and audio typically takes minutes, as you noticed. The MP4 container can be used to hold MPEG-2 video and AC3 audio too, and just repackaging DVD video and audio in an MP4 container using the two programs Baldrick suggested would be quick, but the files would be larger in size than for H.264 and (as Baldrick also said) may be incompatible with some devices that play MP4 files.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 10th Dec 2013 at 11:29.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As you may have gathered from the above, there's no magic encoder. You want speed, just use software to put the video into another container like makemkv. Or buy a faster computer. From what I can see you'd need at least an i5 cpu to be able to encode video faster than you can watch it.

However, if you're just going to put it in a different container you'll get no compression ... which is why that's so fast. If you want to do this to a bunch of dvd's you'll likely end up having to buy more external HD space.

Which is not all that bad. You get zero quality loss with programs like makemkv since the actual video information does not change.

As well, video encoding is complex. And since there are no one size fits all settings there aren't any magic encoder plugins or the like. You have to actually know what you're doing. Those video formats were not devised so average users can rip and encode their discs. They're professional standards.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by noemi7 View Post
    Something obvious: If your DVDs are not copy protected then you can just use any file manager (like Explorer) to copy them to your hard disk.
    Actually did just that and that was indeed the fastest - only thing is these DVDs (series I bought) have like 8 episodes on one DVD and each vod file seems to start in the middle of an episode??

Not sure whether this is 'normal' or whether its some sort of protection

Maybe some VOD editor that can stitch them together as one and I can divide them where they the episodes ends?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by noemi7 View Post
    Something obvious: If your DVDs are not copy protected then you can just use any file manager (like Explorer) to copy them to your hard disk.
    Actually did just that and that was indeed the fastest - only thing is these DVDs (series I bought) have like 8 episodes on one DVD and each vod file seems to start in the middle of an episode??

Not sure whether this is 'normal' or whether its some sort of protection

Maybe some VOD editor that can stitch them together as one and I can divide them where they the episodes ends?
    It is a normal way to author DVDs and not some form of protection. Try the free version of VOB2MPG. As I recall, it can copy individual episodes from an unprotected DVD as mpg files in a matter of minutes. I think it will copy the subtitles as well as the audio and video, but it has been a long time since I used it on a DVD with subtitles, so I can't remember for certain.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I figured the DVD has one main VOB file and Chapters 1-17 - each other chapter is 1 of 8 episodes (in-between chapers are 1 minute intros)

So now I am looking for a VOB editor that i can use to save/extract separate chapters from VOB - no conversion ness

VOB2MPG can do but only the pro/pay version

Any ideas of a freebie
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jethrouk View Post
    Any ideas of a freebie
    I like ProjectX but: it's only GOP accurate, and has no audio preview. Others: Cuttermaran, Mpg2Cut2.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Any ideas of a freebie
    As already suggest DVD Decrypter in IFO mode.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jethrouk View Post
    I just use Handbrake to converted a VIDEO_TS folder of a 2 hour movie in 11 minutes (~280 fps) using the Normal preset. To h.264 and aac in mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I just use Handbrake to converted a VIDEO_TS folder of a 2 hour movie in 11 minutes (~280 fps) using the Normal preset. To h.264 and aac in mp4.
    Just tried it Handbrake again - 3 hour vob (17 chapters) in 1 hour 50 mins - Normal mp4

2 hours is just too long for me - might just scrap the whole idea although just copying the vod to my pc takes less than 5 mins so it might just be a matter of the right tool
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Any ideas of a freebie

That was much faster - 3 hour video in 9 minutes and ripped as separate chapters

just shame the chapters are out of sync with the episodes but i can live with that
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jethrouk View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Just tried it Handbrake again - 3 hour vob (17 chapters) in 1 hour 50 mins - Normal mp4
    Are you using an ancient P4 or something? I'm only running an i5 2500K. Or did you change the x264 settings after selecting the preset? The Normal preset sets x264 to "veryfast" -- which, as it's name implies, is very fast.
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Dec 2013 at 08:46.
    Quote Quote  
  16. just shame the chapters are out of sync with the episodes but i can live with that
    Sounds odd to me. I'd expect selecting the right chapter(s)/cell(s) you would get you what you want (you noticed that info about chapters/cells are displayed if ýou hoover the mouse on them?)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Any ideas of a freebie

That was much faster - 3 hour video in 9 minutes and ripped as separate chapters

just shame the chapters are out of sync with the episodes but i can live with that
    Of course dvd decrypter is faster than handbrake. It's faster then any encoder. All it's doing is removing the copy protection ... which uses very little cpu ... and does a straight copy.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Are you using an ancient P4 or something? I'm only running an i5 2500K. Or did you change the x264 settings after selecting the preset? The Normal preset sets x264 to "veryfast" -- which, as it's name implies, is very fast.
    Just left it default 'very fast' - I must have an old P4 wassaname 4.1 - I only use it for web browsing and streaming video to my PS3/TV and speed has never been an issue
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Sounds odd to me. I'd expect selecting the right chapter(s)/cell(s) you would get you what you want (you noticed that info about chapters/cells are displayed if ýou hoover the mouse on them?)
    It the second tool Ive used to lift chapters and both were out of sync with episode start/end so I guess it's been done on purpose

Sounds like I am back to some sort of VOD editing tool so I can just chop up the whole vod myself
    Quote Quote  
  20. I don't know how your DVD is authored .. but if you have a menu with 8 buttons to select your episodes you ought to be able to extract those.
    Quote Quote