VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys,

I KNOW that this has not been developed for over 3 years, but it is such a great little program. Is there any newer alternative to it or is there any way you know of to update the version of x264 it is using? Looking at the version it has, it LOOKS like it is called hx264 and when the cmd prompt runs, it is calling it that. What is that...?

I do know somewhat how to use some of the front-ends to x264 like STAX which is great; is there any way to use it to do the same thing that UncropMKV does?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm moving you to our video conversion section. If you had a blu-ray source you would never need to use uncropmkv. :
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I'm moving you to our video conversion section. If you had a blu-ray source you would never need to use uncropmkv. :
    Short and sweet

Quite true; However, as I have mentioned before, these ARE from my personal Blu-rays. It's these darn encodes from my Blu-rays that my friend did for me a long time ago before I understood encoding at all. I had not realized that he had bloody well cropped everything (like so many do...) Well, if there is no other choice, I suppose that I can always re-encode my Blu-rays for the ones that I need to 'uncrop'. It's just that I am still VERY GREEN at this and I felt more assured using the encode that was already done.

Thank you though; always appreciate you guys taking the time to reply!

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  5. As soon as you use x264 and Avisynth (in other thread I commented) you can add borders adding just simple line into avisynth, but again if player does not play square pixel video with proper aspect ratio or at least some sort of app player in it that can change aspect ratio (concerning mobile devices mostly) it is kind of weird.

I do not quite follow you, because that Uncropmkv will not make BD compliant video for you, if you intend to make BDMV out of it, is that right? (based on other thread of yours) .Then why to use it in the first place? For PS3 for example, Can you comment on this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    As soon as you use x264 and Avisynth (in other thread I commented) you can add borders adding just simple line into avisynth, but again if player does not play square pixel video with proper aspect ratio or at least some sort of app player in it that can change aspect ratio (concerning mobile devices mostly) it is kind of weird.

I do not quite follow you, because that Uncropmkv will not make BD compliant video for you, if you intend to make BDMV out of it, is that right? (based on other thread of yours) .Then why to use it in the first place? For PS3 for example, Can you comment on this?
    Hello again Al!

Appreciate your helpful post on the other thread of mine!

The reason that I want to use UNcropMKV is because I PREFER putting films in a BDMV format if possible because my OPPO player does not recognize any MKV chapter settings. So, I can PLAY an MKV file, but I cannot step forward or back through the movie like I CAN with a Blu-ray disc. Also, some of the encodes that were done before for me are oddly done at L5.0 which my player cannot play, so I HAVE to re-encode and if the AR of the MKV is not BR compliant then I might as well use UNcropMKV and make the AR compliant for Blu-ray while I'm doing it, that's all...

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM

Uncropmkv does make BD compliant files as long as you don't adjust the default setting way to much.I've used it many times and it works on authored bd burned to blu-ray
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post

Uncropmkv does make BD compliant files as long as you don't adjust the default setting way to much. I've used it many times and it works on authored bd burned to blu-ray
    Yep, I just backed up the 'Extras' for a Blu-ray that was a file about 1 1/2 hours long. The MKV file for some weird reason was encoded with L5.0, so I had to re-encode and I used UNcropMKV and set it to the 1 Pass 'INSANE' speed (which of course I NEVER use normally with movies, but these were 'extras' so I was curious how fast it would be and how it would look) Surprisingly it took about 12 minutes with a hilarious frame rate of just under 100 fps! But, for extras, I must admit they still looked decent on my 50" Plasma...

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Plasma will render anything descent
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You don't need to re-encode L5.0,just use tsmuxer to change it to 4.1 and save as,if needed then run it through mkvmerge to save as mkv,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    You don't need to re-encode L5.0,just use tsmuxer to change it to 4.1 and save as,if needed then run it through mkvmerge to save as mkv,
    Ah, that is interesting; I've heard that you can just change the Level in TSmuxer, but if the ACTUAL encode level IS indeed done at L5.0, wouldn't it still choke my player anyway and just changing, what is it, the heading information, would that really change the actual level that my OPPO can play?

That WOULD be great though; I appreciate you mentioning it!
    Quote Quote