VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently got a couple of DVDs from an American source not expecting to have any trouble with format, but they wouldn't play in my DVD player and it gave a message saying something about the region. In looking at the discs it says NTSC, but on an emblem below that it says 2 3 4 5 6. I'm in the Atlanta GA area, and got the impression that's region 1. I would really like to see these DVDs and contacted the company, MEGA Media, a couple of times but they won't respond. I don't suppose there's a way I can change them or get them to play with my DVD player is there? I tried to find out if the sorry company I got them from has versions for region 1 (if that's where I am), but as I said they won't respond. The DVDs are Dream Theater's "Images and Words Live in Tokyo" and "5 Days in a Livetime". Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do?

Thank you for any help!
    David
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Music dvds are often issued as NTSC so that only one format is required for all countries. If your dvds are regions 2-6 they were probably intended for the European/Australian/Far East market.

An odd release. Amazon.com have this listed as 'Region 1' whereas Amazon.uk say its 'All Region'. Both say NTSC.

All you can do is rip them and burn to blank disks. That will remove the Region coding. Or watch them on a PC player such as vlc which ignores region coding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nopEda View Post
    In looking at the discs it says NTSC, but on an emblem below that it says 2 3 4 5 6.
    Oh that's just plain rotten.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I get NTSC regions 2 and 3 from Japan and Hong Kong all the time. It takes very little effort to solve the problem. Just rip to hard drive using DVD Fab HD Decrypter (the decrypter feature is free, while other features are trialware); then burn to a blank DVD-R. The copy will not have any region encoding and will play on any DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The official R1 release is from Warner/Rhino:

Perhaps you could take a photo or scan of the back cover of yours, if you have it. It sounds like you got the discs only.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vaporeon800,

Take a close look at that cover and it does say Region Code 2,3,4,5,6

It is NOT a US Release. Two clues. 1: The German Classification System 'FSK' and the 'E' Exempt that is part of the UK classification System.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    The official R1 release is from Warner/Rhino:
    Perhaps you could take a photo or scan of the back cover of yours, if you have it. It sounds like you got the discs only.
    I got a case with them and the back cover looks just like the photo you posted here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    I get NTSC regions 2 and 3 from Japan and Hong Kong all the time. It takes very little effort to solve the problem. Just rip to hard drive using DVD Fab HD Decrypter (the decrypter feature is free, while other features are trialware); then burn to a blank DVD-R. The copy will not have any region encoding and will play on any DVD player.
    Ah...I would like to learn how to do that. So can I just download it and do what you told me about for free without using the other features? Can you or someone tell me exactly how to do it? I've never tried anything like that before, but would certainly like to know how in case this happens again....in fact I've got another DVD with a similar problem.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    vaporeon800,

It is NOT a US Release. Two clues. 1: The German Classification System 'FSK' and the 'E' Exempt that is part of the UK classification System.
    I ordered a DVD of Heli-Loggers and have never been able to watch it because of the same sort of thing. After reading what you wrote I looked at the back cover and it does have an E in a box and beside it says "Exempt From Classification". There's also an emblem that has a circle with longitude and latitude lines and a 2 in it. Maybe with you guys' help I'll eventually be able to watch all this stuff
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well the circle with longitude and latitude lines and a 2 in it is one way that UK releases show 'Region 2'. Many UK releases will also include the German Classification mark, in this case 'suitable for persons 6 years and over', so then there is no need for a different cover for Germany.

As for the ripping process, there should be guides on this site or specific topics. Just search for them.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    My mistake. And in the details, Amazon.com/.ca list it as Region 1 and Amazon.de lists it as All Region, heh.
    Quote Quote