VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello all, nice to be here, this is my first post on the forums.

I have tried to search for threads regarding the problem I'm having, but don't know exactly what terms to use in the search.

Here's the deal - I am a big James Bond fan, and at the same time a big fan of preserving old releases of the movies, and sometimes combining sources. This thread is about the latter.

I have some audio tracks from old HiFi VHS tapes, which I'm planning to sync to the SE DVDs (Working on Thunderball right now, the old VHS has some alternate dialogue/music compared to the SE DVD in places). My DVD is the PAL Special Edition, and I'm hoping to keep the video untouched, like it is on the original DVD, and just sync the new audio.

When I demux the DVD video stream with PcgDemux, and play it frame by frame in MPC, every frame is played twice, and the video stream is horizontally squeezed letterbox, instead of 16:9. So I thought I would try Restream, and flagged the video as Progressive and 16:9. The frames now only play once, and the video is 16:9. Am I good to go, or is there something I missed? Like I said, I don't want to do anything to the video (especially anything destructive), just add some audio streams and mux a new DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You missed a lot. Movies are not 16:9 frames on DVD's. They are 720x480 frames. They are almost always telecined, not pure progressive. You will have to re-encode and reauthor your DVD source, and the audio is likely not in sync. Add to that: Hollywood movies are not produced at 16:9. Only TV, TV movies, and home videos are made at 16:9 image aspect ratios.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 12:31.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    You missed a lot. Movies are not 16:9 frames on DVD's. They are 720x480 frames. They are almost always telecined, not pure progressive. You will have to re-encode and reauthor your DVD source, and the audio is likely not in sync. Add to that: Hollywood movies are not produced at 16:9. Only TV, TV movies, and home videos are made at 16:9 image aspect ratios.
    Are PAL DVD's telecined? I was thinking of keeping the 25 fps like the original DVD for this project, and I thought that telecine (and inverse telecine) was only for NTSC sources. My mistake.

I apologize for not being more precise in my wording, when I say "16:9", what I meant was that the 2.35:1 ratio of the movie is displayed correctly without distortion (with black bars on the top and bottom) after I flagged it as 16:9. Before I flagged it, it was horizontally squeezed inside a 4:3 frame. The 25fps and 720x576 resolution have not changed after flagging with ReStream, only how the video is displayed when it plays. Both the original m2v I demuxed (which played back as 4:3 letterbox only with horizontal squeezing) and the flagged file show the same properties in Mediainfo.

I was really hoping I could get away with only flagging the .m2v file and remuxing.

EDIT: ....Wait a minute. I tried playing back my original demuxed file with VLC instead of MPC, and the duplicate frame problem isn't there. What is going on here? I also installed the mpeg plugin for VDub, and I can't see interlacing when playing it frame by frame. Does that mean that this file is progressive?
    Last edited by Prim; 8th Dec 2013 at 11:21.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    OK, more info brings you closer to the mark, I guess. No one can say whether your PAL movie ha any form of frame dping or telecine or any other means for making 23.976 movies play at 25 FPS. I'm still trying to figure out how you had a 720x756 movie playing back at 4:3 or why you'd think audio from a VHS tape is so great. Perhaps you can give more detail about what you're doing. e.g, where this PAL movie source came from, and whatnot. Overlaying diffrerent video source is one thing (whether that would work is really iffy), whether the VHS source audio is eraxcty the same structure as the original (whatever it is), etc., and exactly what "problem" you're having. Pergaps a short sample of the original -vs - what you have now?
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 12:32.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Never mind. I figured it out, and am all set. Off to sync the VHS audio.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It has to be some settings in MPC that are messing up the playback. It shouldn't be doubling frames (check the deinterlacing, you probably are having it bob the video when it's encoded as interlaced) and it shouldn't be playing as 4:3 or 5:4 (check the Video Frame->Aspect Ratio.

If I were you I'd upgrade either to MPC-HC or MPC-BE. And running it through Restream was probably not such a good idea. It should play properly in your player. If all you're doing is editing the audio the video doesn't need to be reencoded or even fooled with in ReStream.

Edit: Oh, you got it going right. Good.
    Quote Quote