VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there
    I am having problems transferring LP tapes recorded on my stolen JVC camcorder from my Cannon camcorder using Windows movie Maker. The LP tapes play OK in camcorder but with no sound. Transferred video has some sound but it is very choppy. I have no problems transferring SP tapes recorded on the cannon, it is MV830 model.
    Found this thread
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/235961-dv-transfer-problems-on-LP-tape
    There is no conclusion but it is very old, I hope we know how to fix it now. I cannot see any settings in WMM or my camcorder I can try. Any other software I can use or any other ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry but lp has always been a crapshoot. even the camera that recorded it may not play it back after time passes and the camera has more use. best bet is to try other miniDV cams. i'd look for a model matching your old one. the only sure way to capture would be on a pro deck with adjustable head tracking.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks. I also found problems on tapes where I recorded SP with new camera on top of an LP recording by old camera....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    overlapping tracking. throw the tapes away nothing will sort that out. tape is cheap don't re-use them unless the video you are recording is not valuable at all.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. Try a different camcorder - buy a cheap used one from eBay.You might get lucky and find it happens to read the LP recording better, and hopefully it will be fully compatible with the audio setting used when recording (your current camcorder isn't if it's not playing the audio!).
    2. Never use LP mode
    3. Never re-use tapes
    4. Use a different capturing program. WinDV will report dropped frames, there's also scene Scenalyzer Live which is handy if the timecode is wrecked but you still want to split on scenes, and Enosoft which copes with different audio types better than WinDV.
    5. Use a tool that can analyse the captured DV streams for errors that you haven't noticed. AVPS DV Analyzer is great for this. It saves you having to watch every capture to see if there are blocky frames, though it's rather slow.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote