VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anyone know if it is possible to somehow voice over a video in a different language by computer or some sort of program?

For instance, I happen to have videos of teaching that other people around the world want to watch but they do not know any english. So I need a way to have the voice on the video translated to whatever language that person knows in order for that person to understand what is being said. I cannot afford to hire actors. If anyone knows of a way, by all means give me your insight on this matter.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You could try some Rube Goldberg process where you let YouTube create subtitles based on voice recognition in the original language, put those subtitles into Google translate to whatever language you're going to, load those into Word and let it "speak" the new language, record the spoken language and place it into a timeline in Vegas and adjust the timings. But if you've ever played telephone you'll know the only way to do this properly is to do it properly.

There's no technological solution at this time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I'm aware, any audio editor can do it. I've done something in similar in Sony Sound Forge.
    Give Audacity a try.

To create a stereo file, one method is to covert the existing soundtrack to mono and put
    it on one channel. Then use the other channel for your voice over.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    As far as I'm aware, any audio editor can do it.
    I believe he wants an automatic way to both translate and record into a different language. He's not doing it, the computer and some voice translation software will, he hopes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi manono -

yes, I see what you mean. Sometimes my brain refuses to fully acknowledge the details on some of the more
    exotic requests we get in this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It is more likely that someone in a foreign country will be able to fine a person who speaks both English and their native language, than you will.

Typing out a written text, possibly as subtitles, would be the most practically useful thing you could accomplish without spending some cash.

Once it is typed, a google translate as mentioned might be useful, but if the language is much beyond a third grade level or at all technical it won't be very good.

You could request that any translations created by end users could be sent to you for inclusion in future releases. You could probably get a Spanish translation done locally for a six-pack. Do some looking, most likely a few other languages, as well.
    Quote Quote