VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Thread
  1. Member ahhaa's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: Michigan USA
    Search Comp PM
    I just read they've agreed a new standard for USB 3 cables: it won't matter which end is which.

    In the process, tho, they will obsoletize all the existing USB cables, flash drives, & etc; because they are going with a mini to micro-mini connectors (to accommodate phonefolk.)
    Wanna bet they will be cheaper, or more usefully longer?:]

    My real Q tho, is about the bewildering array of HDMI cables even at just one supplier like Malwarts.
    A dozen six footer offerings range from $4.15 (Link Depot gold plated HS) to $19.69 (Visio 3D). {And of course the cheapest ones are only from Walmart dotcom, not the stores.}

    Some claim high speed, or thin, or backwards compatible, or even ethernet...

    What besides price are important features for an HDMI cable thee days?

    And Merry Xma$ too!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I read an article which said the new cable will be in addition to existing cables, which to me sounds more likely given the plethora of devices already using the current ones.

    When it comes to the new "no more wrong way up" plug design..... only the other day I was thinking while reaching behind the TV in the dark, trying to plug in a USB cable, how nice it'd be if I didn't have to turn the USB connector over to confirm I was trying to plug it into a HDMI port.
    Of course the original USB connector already has a similar design feature anyway. You can fumble around behind a PC and it doesn't matter if you're holding the connector on your mouse's USB cable upside down or not. It fits fairly snugly into an ethernet port either way......
    Quote Quote  
  3. There aren't as many differences between HDMI cables as the marketing departments want you to believe. There are only four types of cables. Last I checked, no device anywhere supported Ethernet-over-HDMI, so that narrows the choices down to two: Standard Speed (guaranteed to 1080i) or High Speed (guaranteed for 4K 3D).

    http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx#Choose

    Beyond that the differentiation is external: how thin, the shape of the connector, and so on.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member ahhaa's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: Michigan USA
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help, guys!

    fyi, the 6' HDMI cable I wound up with was on sale for $1.99 at Menards; it is branded Steren, Part # BL-577-306BK. It calls itself a "High-Speed HDMI with Ethernet" cable, and says hi-def video, 3D audio and High-speed Ethernet. Claims 1080p, 4Kx2K ready, up to 10.2 Gbps.
    There is a link on the box www.sterenusa.com if anyone else needs a super-cheap cable. So far it works better than the irritating Sony player I bought, which refuses to play my legally recorded +R discs ..:[
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ahhaa View Post
    So far it works better than the irritating Sony player I bought, which refuses to play my legally recorded +R discs ..:[
    Out of curiosity, which Sony player and what are these problem discs, recordings produced by a DVD recorder, DVD backups, home movies, etc?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date: Oct 2004
    Location: Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ahhaa View Post
    There is a link on the box www.sterenusa.com if anyone else needs a super-cheap cable. So far it works better than the irritating Sony player I bought, which refuses to play my legally recorded +R discs ..:[
    I don't like Sony at all, but no modern DVD/BD player should refuse to play DVD+R any more. That last stopped being an issue maybe 5 years ago. Now, your discs may be crap and THAT may be your real issue. Or if new, the player may simply be defective.

    The only consistently good media sold in the USA any more is Taiyo Yuden (you will have to buy online) and Verbatim (anything EXCEPT their "Life" series is good).
    Quote Quote  
  7. As I understand it, the difference between HDMI and HDMI+Ethernet is that the Hot Plug Detect (pin 19) and a previously unused pin (pin 14) are a twisted pair. Devices which aren't Ethernet aware see a normal Hot Plug Detect pin (it doesn't matter that the wire is twisted with the unused wire). Devices that are Ethernet aware use the Hot Plug Connect Pin as one of the two Ethernet twisted pair wires.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member ahhaa's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: Michigan USA
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys!

    The Sony Player is a BDP-S2100 (wireless built in) which was on Black Friday Week special for $49 at Malwarts.
    I thought it would make a good match for my Sony Bravia TV, which is running off a Mark I Roku.

    The S2100 plays commercial & Netflix discs just fine, but refuses to play Sony DVD +R discs I transferred from old Sony Digital 8 and VHS personal tapes.

    It doesn't just 'not play', it has a special (and vaguely threatening) message displayed- 'cannot play disc at this time'; I downloaded the manual (it comes with barely a slip of paper) and found this in the fine print:

    "Copy Protection
    Please be advised of the advanced content protection systems used in both Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD media. These systems, called AACS (Advanced Access Content System) and CSS (Content Scramble System), may contain some restrictions on playback, analog output, and other similar features. The operation of this product and the restrictions
    placed may vary depending on the date of purchase, as the governing board of the AACS may adopt or change its restriction rules after the time of purchase.

    Cinavia Notice
    This product uses Cinavia technology to limit the use of unauthorized copies of some commercially-produced film and videos and their soundtracks. When a prohibited use of an unauthorized copy is detected, a message will be displayed and playback or copying will be interrupted.
    "

    Further browsing their 'enhanced features' gave the feeling that this machine will report back to Sony in a very similar way to the LG smart TV's 'spying in this article:

    LG is investigating allegations that some of its TVs send details about their owners' viewing habits back to the manufacturer even if the users have activated a privacy setting.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25018225

    Getting back on subject, I also know it isn't my discs because they still play back just fine in my cranky old Philips unit.
    Hope this helps!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ahhaa View Post
    Thanks guys!

    The Sony Player is a BDP-S2100 (wireless built in) which was on Black Friday Week special for $49 at Malwarts.
    I thought it would make a good match for my Sony Bravia TV, which is running off a Mark I Roku.

    The S2100 plays commercial & Netflix discs just fine, but refuses to play Sony DVD +R discs I transferred from old Sony Digital 8 and VHS personal tapes.

    It doesn't just 'not play', it has a special (and vaguely threatening) message displayed- 'cannot play disc at this time'; I downloaded the manual (it comes with barely a slip of paper) and found this in the fine print:

    "Copy Protection
    Please be advised of the advanced content protection systems used in both Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD media. These systems, called AACS (Advanced Access Content System) and CSS (Content Scramble System), may contain some restrictions on playback, analog output, and other similar features. The operation of this product and the restrictions
    placed may vary depending on the date of purchase, as the governing board of the AACS may adopt or change its restriction rules after the time of purchase.

    Cinavia Notice
    This product uses Cinavia technology to limit the use of unauthorized copies of some commercially-produced film and videos and their soundtracks. When a prohibited use of an unauthorized copy is detected, a message will be displayed and playback or copying will be interrupted.
    "

    Further browsing their 'enhanced features' gave the feeling that this machine will report back to Sony in a very similar way to the LG smart TV's 'spying in this article:

    LG is investigating allegations that some of its TVs send details about their owners' viewing habits back to the manufacturer even if the users have activated a privacy setting.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25018225

    Getting back on subject, I also know it isn't my discs because they still play back just fine in my cranky old Philips unit.
    Hope this helps!
    Were the transfers done with a DVD recorder? The reason why I ask is that the Magnavox recorder I'm currently using only has a +VR recording mode available, which resembles a video mode recording, but isn't. Lucky for me these +VR mode discs play in the other players I use without being finalized, but I recall reading that some players only play +VR mode recordings after the DVD recorder's "finalize" or "make compatible" is used on the DVD, and other players just don't like +VR mode discs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member ahhaa's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: Michigan USA
    Search Comp PM
    UQ
    The burner was a cheap internal 8X DVD from Mad Dog. Transfers were via Firewire card, 'bout all I remember. (At the time I was fooling around with that free AVID editing suite, but can't remember if it was involved in the transfers.) The discs have worked in several other machines and still work in the old Philips, which is the size of a boxcar compared to the Sony.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ahhaa View Post
    UQ
    The burner was a cheap internal 8X DVD from Mad Dog. Transfers were via Firewire card, 'bout all I remember. (At the time I was fooling around with that free AVID editing suite, but can't remember if it was involved in the transfers.) The discs have worked in several other machines and still work in the old Philips, which is the size of a boxcar compared to the Sony.
    If the discs were compliant with the DVD spec and were burned correctly on good DVD+R media, then I have no idea why they will not play.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member ahhaa's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Location: Michigan USA
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for trying, anyway!

    btw, the discs are Sony's ...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ahhaa View Post
    Thanks for trying, anyway!

    btw, the discs are Sony's ...
    Sony media is inconsistent quality. They contracted with both the best (Taiyo Yuden) and the worst manufacturers.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads