VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm doing videogame reviews from time to time and use an AverMedia Livegamer Portable to capture gameplay from consoles (the old Blackmagic Intensity is just not... portable enough ).

Recently my father-in-law donated his iPad 3 to the good cause and I'm trying to figure out how to capture the HDMI coming from the Apple 30pin AV adapter. My Samsung TV displays the video just fine, but capturing with the LGP fails in both SD-card and in PC mode.

My first attempt was feeding the HDMI directly into the LGP, but preview failed with a "Signal out of Range" error.

My second attempt was using the HDCP stripper (Ligawo DVI to HDMI converter) I use to capture video from the PS3. The preview windows switches aspect ratio from the default 16:9 to the 4:3 of the iPad but doesn't show a picture and starting capture fails after 10 seconds without writing a file.

The only tutorial on the Avermedia site is about capturing VGA of an iPad 2 with another Avermedia capturing card, but I'm looking for a digital solution, especially after spending 40€ on the Apple AV adapter.

Any ideas what I could try next?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Isn't the iPad 3's display resolution 2048x1536? Not only is that too high for commonly-available HDMI capture cards, it doesn't match standard HDTV aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    The problem seems to be in the software of the Avermedia LGP, my old Blackmagic Intensity captures it without problems in 1080p30. The output seems to be scaled down and pillarboxed to match 1080p.

I have no idea why the Live Gamer Portable does not accept the 1080p30 coming out of the AV adapter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ah, I see. No idea then.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Okay, I figured out the cause of the "Out of range" problem. Video acceleration settings in the GPU driver and in the capture mode have to be set to Full Range, you can't mix those.

Next surprise, the AverMedia software refuses to capture because it thinks the content is copy-protected. This is ridiculous, I know for sure my Blackmagic does not record copy-protected content and all the other working examples like the Elgato box would also refuse cooperation if the output would be copy-protected.

Not sure how to continue from here. I could set the preview to fullscreen and use FRAPS, but that's not why I bought a box with an H264 encoder onboard.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by SenorKaffee View Post
    Okay, I figured out the cause of the "Out of range" problem. Video acceleration settings in the GPU driver and in the capture mode have to be set to Full Range, you can't mix those.

Next surprise, the AverMedia software refuses to capture because it thinks the content is copy-protected. This is ridiculous, I know for sure my Blackmagic does not record copy-protected content and all the other working examples like the Elgato box would also refuse cooperation if the output would be copy-protected.

Not sure how to continue from here. I could set the preview to fullscreen and use FRAPS, but that's not why I bought a box with an H264 encoder onboard.

Hey I just had the same problem you did with the "copy-protected".
    The way you fix it is you buy yourself a 1x2 HDMI splitter run your hdmi cable coming from your ipad through the box and then from the box straight into avermedia this bypasses the copy-protected..
    Also I have the same bad resolution recording my screen .. How do i go and stretch it to fit full screen without taking away from recording.. I tried on vegas pro 12 but it doesnt remove them and if i crop it i lose some of the video ...
    Quote Quote