VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi.

I'm trying to convert a HD 1080p mkv file into another mkv 720p one. I have tryed with virtualdub with a avs script and also with MeGui with the same avs file. In both, after enconding about 6-7 min, it appears a windows error (and obviously, it stops enconding) saying something like "...An error has occurred in MeGui..." and asks to stop or try to fix it. Both, nothing.

Tryed with xvid and x264 with same end: error

Any idea?

Many thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Corrupt source?

Try convert with something else and see if it also crash, like vidcoder, xmedia recode, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. How did you create the script and which method is Avisynth using to open the video (DirectShowSource, FFVideoSource etc)? It does seem like it's a decoding problem and not an encoding one.

You might try remuxing the MKV with MKVMergeGUI, then use the new MKV for re-encoding instead. If MKVMergeGUI has any problems, it should show an error or warning message in the window which opens when the muxing process starts.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    About corrupt source, i don't think it's the problem... In fact, it's a mkv from thora (anime), so, in my oppinion, it's out of doubt...

I also think that could be a decoding problem. The script i've made in two ways: with directshowsource and calling dgavcdecode.dll (that's with dgavcindex); no change. The thing is that with dgavcindex the final video makes a green line on the botton of the image. Not with directshowsource metod. Strange, isn't it?

My OS is win 8.1 (yes, f*cked win

Anyway, thanks for your time. I'll keep trying.

See u
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've never used dgavcindex myself, but changing decoding methods seems like the second best place to start. After remuxing the MKV and trying an encode using the remuxed MKV as the source. Then I'd try FFVideoSource instead. For all it's faults if I'm simply encoding from start to finish (not using complicated filtering or encoding specific sections etc) DirectShow often keeps on going when nothing else will. At least that's been my experience (ffdshow decoding).

Failing that are you using any clever filtering? Sometimes I've been forced to use a script (or even a different program) to do nothing but open the video in order to convert it to a lossless format, then I re-encode the lossless file with all the clever filtering added to the script. Last time it happened the source was 1080i and the lossless file was something like 250GB, which took some time to index for encoding, but I got there in the end.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Hi.

Well, the only filter i put was resize one, nothing else.

What do you mean with lossless file? Uncompressed? That will be a lot of data I don't think with 600Gb left on my Hd i have enough...

I also tryed to encode from the raw .h264 file, nothing different.

I think i'm going to delete everything and say "...bye, bye, darling, next time..."

(A beer to rest )

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by anchonio View Post
    What do you mean with lossless file? Uncompressed? That will be a lot of data I don't think with 600Gb left on my Hd i have enough...
    Lossless can be compressed or uncompressed (maybe like FLAC vs WAV). Different lossless compression methods will compress by different amounts at different speeds.

Pretty much out of habit, if I'm needing to convert to a lossless format first, I create a script and open it with VirtualDub, selecting Fast Recompress for the video encoding method. For compression I configure the ffdshow video encoder (VirtualDub lists it as ffdshow video codec) to encode using HuffYUV or FFV1. HuffYUV is a fair bit faster but doesn't compress as much as FFV1.

If it still won't decode properly then I'd bypass AVIsynth and give a program such as Video To Video Converter a shot at it. It'll output using the same lossless formats.

CRF0 for x264 is also lossless. I've never tried it myself so I don't know how it compares in terms of speed or compression.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Hi again.

Last night i tryed to encode with vidcoder (never used before or heard about it) and everything was ok. The win errors gone and the final work has a great quality. I have to say that i'm really surprised.

Thanks all of you for your time and advises.

Cheers
    Quote Quote