VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I receive digital TV from UPC via their mediabox, which has a hard disk, a skart output and an HDMI output. I can hook it on to my TV through either output, and I get perfect sound and picture. Unfortunately the mediabox does not copy recordings onto DVD. I also have a Panasonic DMR-EH67 DVD recorder. I would like to preserve some of the recordings on the mediabox by transfering them onto the Panasonic recorder, after which I can copy them onto DVD. However, I don't seem to be able to get anything else than sound onto the DVD recorder.
    I have spent a lot of time checking everything, trying every option, excluding hypotheses, and have reached the conclusion that the recorder needs replacing. But before I do this, I would like to ask whether this problem is known and has a solution.

I'm sure the media box is in order, because it can deliver picture as well as sound to the TV both through skart and through HDMI. I'm sure the skart and HDMI cables I use are OK, for the same reason. I'm sure I select the correct communication channels, because sound comes through OK. And I'm sure the connection between the recorder and the TV is correct, because I can play DVDs with no problem. The recorder also collects the analog signal correctly, because it can record it, or even send it directly to the TV. The only thing that doesn't work is getting picture from the mediabox onto the recorder. And I get exactly the same problem whether I try it with skart or with HDMI.

Is this problem known? Can anyone help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible that your Mediabox disables the scart output when using HDMI? Cable boxes in my country are starting to do this(disable other outputs when using HDMI) I believe to discourage people from doing what your are trying to do. I'd try powering everything down, unplugging the HDMI cable, turn everything back on and see if your Panasonic now records from the scart input.
    Also do you have another source of scart that you could try to your recorder? that would help for troubleshooting. For example if you could record from another DVD players scart output that would mean the scart input to your Panasonic was OK.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for this fantastic solution! Taking the HDMI plug out of the media box did the trick!
    Quote Quote