VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.I have a Bush VCR807 PAL VCR here,and 4 tapes (PAL as well)that I want to watch on my LCD monitor than on my TV(which is a CRT with SCART and RF,and supports PAL60).Now,first problem was how I would hook up the VCR to the TV tuner?(my VCR has only RF IN and OUT,and a SCART input)I got over that,by cutting a older SCART cable I had with all the 20 pins in and wiring up composite cables.Now,video works fine,I can see contents of the tape,but there is NO AUDIO!I checked the wirings on audio inputs,they're wired correctly.If I try another (new and untampered)cable on my old CRT TV,it works fine,I have video and audio on it.
    So,what can it be?I've tried various settings in both DScaler's audio mixer and in Windows audio mixer,and I still don't get any audio at all.Forgot mentioning,the audio is hooked up via line in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What setting did you alter in Windows Audio Mixer ?

If I read you correctly, your sound goes in to the sound-card in the PC so you must set the sound source in 'Recording' not 'Playback'
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just unmuted on Windows Audio Mixer both on Line In at the "Recording"section and unmuted it on my soundcard too.(Rear blue in).Also,I should mentioned I use Windows 7.And,what do you mean by "Recording"sound source?DScaler has only 4 mixer devices I can choose from:
    microphone,Line In,Speakers and the digital output of my soundcard (which actually is SPDIF)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What tv tuner do you have ?. Dscaler may only work when sound goes direct in to a capture device.

What about the software that comes with the tv tuner ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TV tuner is a Winfast TV2000 XP RM card,and if I hook up my PS1,I can hear the audio on the PS1 through the speakers.
    I tried the software that came with it(Winfast PVR2)and it still doesn't have any sound.Again,the SCART cable that the VCR uses to show picture on is homemade.(basically I traced down each input wires for video (composite,pins 20 and 17,which are composite and composite ground)and audio (pins 2,6 and 4,which are audio left and right,pin 4 being audio ground))
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Suggest you look in your country for one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-Scart-to-3-x-RCA-Triple-Phono-AV-Audio-Composite-Video-Le...f#ht_443wt_938

Doesn't this card have audio connectors on it ?

The sound problem tho could be down to proper Win7 drivers for your card. No cable will solve that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Drivers are installed for the audio card.
    Also,today I turned my volume up on DScaler and I could hear something this time.(very high baseband/HiFi sounds and kinda faintly the cartoon it was playing,which was Fresh Hare,Looney Tunes,1942)
    Any way I could remove the baseband sounds and hear louder the cartoon's audio?
    Forgot saying,no,the card I use doesn't have audio connectors.Just has RF,remote in,S-Video and Composite.
    If you want,I can upload the recording somewhere so you can check it.
    Small edit:I am uploading it now on Youtube.It's taking a long amount of time,and it said 94 minutes remaining.
    Last edited by SkC1998; 5th Dec 2013 at 10:52.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Uploaded.Download it and open in Sony Vegas,then try muting the lower channel of the audio track.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IRRuTsbdpo&feature=youtu.be
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You would do better to upload the original capture direct to here or to some file-sharing site. Goodness knows what youtube would do to it in its own conversion.

I can only detect noise.

No comments at present on the video capture as that does not belong to this topic.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dunno why Youtube did that to the audio.On the original capture I clearly could faintly hear the cartoon's audio.Also,I can't upload the video here,as it's over 2GB in size.(about 3.70-3.75GB)
    Do you know any file-sharing site that doesn't have a filesize limit?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Noone will download that file size anyway.

Load the clip into avidemux. Mark-in and out for a short sample (10-20 secs are enough) where you can 'hear' something. Then select copy for video and (more importantly) audio and set file type as you originally have it. Save the short clip to a new filename and upload that here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Problem is,the noise still will be there.As I said,the cartoon's audio is really faint through the speakers,but if I hook up the VCR to my TV,I can hear it fine.I'll upload the intro of it so you can hear.
    UPDATE:Can't run Avidemux 2.6.7.It gives me a Runtime C++ error.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can't help you much with that error. You did install the correct version dependent upon your CPU ie 32 bit or 64 bit.

I still think the issue is the cable and you have created interference in attempting to make a bespoke cable. Obtain a proper one and try again.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by SkC1998 View Post
    if I hook up the VCR to my TV,I can hear it fine.
    Using the same SCART adapter you made?

This should be easy to diagnose. Plug some other audio source into the same audio input on your computer/capture device. Do you get audio with your caps when you do that?

Plug the audio from your cobbled cable into some other device with line level audio inputs. Do you get sound?

I suspect your cable is bad because there's an obvious 50 Hz hum in your Youtube video.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Using the same SCART adapter you made?
    No.It's a brand new (not gold plated)SCART cable bought from a store.
    Also,DB83,I tried the wrong one.(I clicked Avidemux job control)
    Still no luck with doing what you said about Avidemux,DB83,it says "Trouble loading audio device"when I try playing the marked section.If I don't put the marks,it works fine and I can hear audio.
    Last edited by SkC1998; 6th Dec 2013 at 10:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am not asking you to play the marked sections. Once you mark them, set you video and audio to 'copy' and the file type as you originally captured (avi ?) and save the new video.

Go to the store you bought that scart cable and see if they have the type I posted in the ebay link. Unless you can test the one you made with other equipment as jagabo suggests we can go no ferther. The problem really is the cable or your capture settings. Eliminate the cable first.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked that before I went and bought the SCART cable (the one I use on TV,not on capture card)and they don't have any.I even went today and asked them if they had and they don't have anymore.
    On the other side,I did what you said.Here's the link:
    http://files.videohelp.com/u/226392/intro.avi
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since I asked for it, I did download it.

There is no discernable audio in the clip.

You will have to obtain the cable from somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you try turning up the volume?I did that and even if there's loud noise I can notice the cartoon's audio.I don't know of any way that I can reduce the static and leave the cartoon's audio,as they both are on ONE single track(the track by itself is stereo,but all the sound you hear is mono)and I've tried noise reduction.Any help?I want at least to remove the static in a way without buying another cable.(I personally like to do such things when I'm bored and want to kill some time)
    If this doesn't work,then I'll resort to recording the cartoon on the VHS then record the video using my tablet and upload to Youtube.After all,you can hear the audio of the cartoon,and see the cartoon itself,and there are people doing this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You simply should NOT have to crank up the volume to hear even a remote sound. Noise reduction is going to kill anything that is there.

By all means do as you will. I told you the solution. I can not force you to take the option.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what to do else.Probably wrong wiring?I used a Amiga-SCART connection pinout to put the composite wires.I'll try the same cable on my TV to see if it still doesn't have audio.
    EDIT:Tried the cable,and this time I could hear the cartoon without noise but with the volume turned to the max.I'll try swapping the wiring to audio output rather than input.
    Last edited by SkC1998; 7th Dec 2013 at 00:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You said in your OP that you had the cable wired correctly. I would have thought that logic dictates that it is the audio out connectors at the scart end that should be wired. According to a wiring diagram that I just checked they are pins 1 and 3. But if you made that error it beats me how you got a video signal.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually,this is how the diagram said to wire composite+audio:
    Video:
    pin20-Composite video
    pin17-Composite video ground
    Audio:
    pin2-Audio Right Input
    pin6-Audio Left Input+mono
    pin4-Audio Ground.

Here's the diagram I used.

I just wired up composite and the audio ports.No idea as to why I have to connect audio grounds together.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SCART_cable.png
Views:	45135
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	21736  

Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by SkC1998 View Post
    I just wired up composite and the audio ports.No idea as to why I have to connect audio grounds together.
    Each RCA audio cable has two conductors (usually an inner wire and a braided shield around the wire. (sometimes there's another layer of aluminum foil shielding around the whole shebang.) The inner wire should be connected to the audio signal pin (2, 6) and the outer shield (of both) should be connected to audio ground. They diagram shows them connected near the RCA end but that's just to make the diagram simpler. You can connect them both at the SCART end. The diagram could have been drawn this way:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SCART_cable.png
Views:	16451
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	21738
    Last edited by jagabo; 7th Dec 2013 at 08:10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My bad. The link I read only quoted the female pin-out.

This new link confirms the male pin-out which concurs with your arrangement

http://www.distel.co.uk/data_scart.htm

Even so, there is clearly a 'bad' connection somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well,I fixed the problem.Seems the VCR needs those pins connected together:
    Pin1-Audio In Left
    Pin2-Audio Out Left
    Pin3-Audio in Right
    Pin4-Audio GND
    Pin6-Audio Out Right

When I connected all those together,I began hearing the audio of the tape.
    And yes,it's the same homemade SCART cable.
    Quote Quote