VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

how can I change a file that is yuy2, into a file uyvy?

with ffmpeg is possible only in rawvideo codec, but possibly I would like do with all types of file .avi YUV.

Is possibile this?

and when incour in yuy2-->uyvy I get a loss of quality?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not possible; those fourcc's only apply to uncompressed video and describe the byte arrangement . If the video has some other type of compression e.g. mpeg2, mjpeg, etc... it doesn't apply
    Quote Quote  
  3. VirtualDub can convert YUY2 to UYVY. There is no loss of quality going from YUY2 to UYVY -- all it's doing is changing the order of the subchannels from YUYV to UYVY. Of course, if you encode with a lossy codec you'll get a loss of quality. And the decoder for that lossy codec may change the order back to YUY2 on decompression.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I use virtualdub with the enahncement YUY2-->UYVY and then I use UtvideoYUV422(bt.601)ULY2 codec but strangely the nle don't recognize the output as uyvy, even then Ut teorically can output in uyvy mode
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by marcorocchini View Post
    I use virtualdub with the enahncement YUY2-->UYVY and then I use UtvideoYUV422(bt.601)ULY2 codec but strangely the nle don't recognize the output as uyvy, even then Ut teorically can output in uyvy mode
    UT Video is a form of lossless compression, not uncompressed video . The NLE "sees" UT Video before it's uncompressed . Again, those fourcc's only apply to uncompressed video . That is why ffmpeg can only do it with "-vcodec rawvideo"

I already tried to answer your questions in your other thread, but it still doesn't make sense ?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/360445-from-mxf-to-uncompressed-avi
    Quote Quote  
  6. The editor and the decoder negotiate a colorspace. The editor tells the decoder what colorspaces it prefers and the decoder supplies whichever of those it supports. So if the editor says "I prefer YUY2, YV12, and RGB, in that order" and the decoder supports UYVY, YUY2, and RGB as output, it will decode to YUY2 -- because the editor said it preferred that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Is there an equivalent of Ut video?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Equivalent in what sense?
    Quote Quote