VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i haven't been paying much attention to divx hevc ever since x265 got std::in support but i went ot check out the site today and noticed that a new beta was released that supports 4k (3840x2160) resolutions and a max bit rate for 4k of 37.6 mb/s.

also, on the same page it makes mention of s soon to be release of an update to the divx hevc cli encoder, i thought this might be of interest to some.

http://labs.divx.com/

there's also some interesting benchmark results from internal test divx did with their hevc encoder and a quad core HT enabled cpu:

http://labs.divx.com/node/127935
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Well, for now I can only say they are somewhat late to the party

And IMHO, the least that they should do is
    release an UP-TO-DATE and spec-compliant build of their modified MKVtoolnix

Especially now that Mosu says he's exceedingly-busy

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1655488#post1655488
    Quote Quote  
  3. DivX Software 10.1 - Released 2013-12-30

Click image for larger version

Name:	divx.1.1.jpg
Views:	1256
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	22470
    Components:
    Converter 10.1
    Player 10.1
    Web Player 3.1
    Codec Pack
    DivX To Go 10.1
    Media Server 10.1
    DivX Installer System 3.1

What's New:
    DivX HEVC Ultra HD 4K profile support.
    Player, DWP support HEVC real time video decoding up to 4K
    Converter has new DivX HEVC UHD 4K preset for encoding up to 4K
    Converter accepts AviSynth (.avs) files as input
    Converter added “Encoding Modes” for HEVC profiles to balance quality vs speed tradeoffs
    Converter added ability to toggle WPP on/off for HEVC profiles
    Converter can "change" output folder for each individual video now
    Player added Subtitle and Audio icons to playback bar for quick access
    Player added time indicator tooltip when hovering over progress bar
    DMS added “Stream To” DLNA Controller functionality for devices such as Xbox
    DMS settings now easily accessible in Windows Task bar
    DWP added experimental DivX Adaptive Streaming (.smil) for HEVC files up to 9 levels
    DWP added Download icon for quick “save as” access
    Official support for Mac OSX 10.9 Mavericks and Windows 8.1
    Player, Web Player support HEVC real time video decoding up to 1080p

Fixed:
    Converter moved Changing of Output Folders to the main window
    Converter removed minimum bitrate requirement (all profiles)
    Converter updated bitrate algorithm for HEVC profiles to target compatibility with older desktops
    Converter doesn't update needed output file size
    Various MKV and AVI fixes for Converter, Player, Web Player support of common internet files
    Some Russian translations in Converter
    DMS doesn't add folders with the same name at the beginning of name
    Player Missing File Error when using Tools > Burn without loading a video first
    Player Looping of playback of sequential files through a playlist
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    i haven't been paying much attention to divx hevc ever since x265 got std::in support but i went ot check out the site today and noticed that a new beta was released that supports 4k (3840x2160) resolutions and a max bit rate for 4k of 37.6 mb/s.

also, on the same page it makes mention of s soon to be release of an update to the divx hevc cli encoder, i thought this might be of interest to some.

http://labs.divx.com/

there's also some interesting benchmark results from internal test divx did with their hevc encoder and a quad core HT enabled cpu:

http://labs.divx.com/node/127935

Did you buy a 4K camcorder?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ok guys, i decided to do a few test encodes with this latest hevc offering from divx. i wanted to use the highest quality source i could get my hands on so i downloaded the professionally encoded 4k tears of steel movie from here:

http://mango.blender.org/

you guys will note that it's 6.3gb for about 12 minutes worth of movie, that works out to an average bit rate of about 73mb/s and a max bit rate of 100mb/s. the resolution is 3840x1714 for an aspect ratio of 2.25:1, 24fps and it was encoded using x264 with the following options (this was done by the movie creators, not me):

cabac=0 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=dia / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=1 / weightp=2 / keyint=18 / keyint_min=10 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=18 / rc=cbr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=100000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=100000 / vbv_bufsize=4166 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

personally i'm a bit perplexed by the encoding options but who am i to argue with professional movie producers.

these guys also make a number of x264 encoded 1080p versions available, including the ones found here:

http://mango.blender.org/download/

you will note that there are two 1080p version available, i downloaded the 700mb version as a point of comparison, it's encoded from the 4k version; i think the other version is encoded from the uncompressed images.

as noted above the latest divx convertor supports avisynth input and it has 5 different encoding profiles, in addition to wpp:

fastest
    fast
    balanced
    better quality
    best

this is the first time i can remember a divx convertor offering any options other than bit rate and resolution.

a word before i continue, for some odd reason the 4k has an aspect ratio of 2.25:1, as noted above but the 1080p version i downloaded was encoded as 1920x800 (2.40:1).

this version was also encoded with x264 (by them) with the following parameters:

cabac=0 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=dia / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=1 / weightp=2 / keyint=18 / keyint_min=10 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=18 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=8000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=9000 / vbv_bufsize=1835 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

and the bit rate used was 8mb/s.

i decided to do a test encode using the 4k version as source and the latest divx convertor, i set wpp to on, audio to 192kb/s, i set the video resolution to 1920x848 in order to match the test encode's aspect ratio to the source's 2.25:1.

i set divx convertor to limit the file size to 500mb (the max size allowed for upload to this web site) and allowed it to decide the bit rate, the result was about 5.5mb/s.

first thing i noticed was that the divx people have been hard at work speed optimizing their software, on a 3770k going from a 70+mb/s 4k source to a 5.5mb/s 1080p target, with the fastest settings was almost real time.

reread what i said, these guys, with the fastest settings smoke x265. x265 with SD reaches about 10fps on my system and 1080p content is lucky if it hits 2-3 fps.

i'm uploading the test encode i did using the "fastest" setting and i will be uploading another done using the "fast" setting shortly.

ok, here's a second encode done using the "fast" setting, this encode took just under 25 minutes, since the length is 12m14s and the frame rate is 24fps that works out to an encode rate of about 12fps, not bad for a quad core doing a 1080p hevc encode.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by deadrats; 1st Jan 2014 at 00:44.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    here's the second test encode.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sr Manager Broadcast
    Search PM
    are there any other encoders on HEVC?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kaustubh.patankar View Post
    are there any other encoders on HEVC?
    Yes, you can also use x265 encoder and ffmpeg to name just a few............
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sr Manager Broadcast
    Search PM
    Ittiam's H.265 / HEVC Encoder now supports 422, 12 bit encoding
    Last edited by Kaustubh.patankar; 14th Aug 2014 at 10:02.
    Quote Quote