VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always used to make time lapses using WYSIWYG tools like Windows live movie maker. And then I discovered the power of avisynth. I realized it was very powerful, and I was not using its power. And then I discovered videohelp forums, where everyone guided me patiently, created scripts for me, and tolerated every stupid question.
    Thanks fellas.
    Here is the video!
    Special thanks to
    jagabo and poisondeathray!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    We're glad to see you're not a n00b anymore

And more importantly, you have convinced yourself that M$ Dead Movie Maker suxxx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice job, thanks man, I am encouraged by your work. Good use of an excellent site.
    Old home videos are historical documents that may be best used to annoy your children.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Nice stuff. One observation I have is that, although the frame rate of the video at Youtube is 24 fps, there are only about 10 different frames per second (that is, there are many duplicate frames). That makes the video a little jerky. I don't if that's because that's all the photographs you had or if it's a matter of how you or Youtube processed them. It would have been smoother if you had 24 different frames per second. Or at least 24 divided by an integer -- for example 12 fps with each frame duplicated to 24 fps. Simulated 24 fps sample attached.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Nice stuff. One observation I have is that, although the frame rate of the video at Youtube is 24 fps, there are only about 10 different frames per second (that is, there are many duplicate frames). That makes the video a little jerky. I don't if that's because that's all the photographs you had or if it's a matter of how you or Youtube processed them. It would have been smoother if you had 24 different frames per second. Or at least 24 divided by an integer -- for example 12 fps with each frame duplicated to 24 fps. Simulated 24 fps sample attached.
    Your observation is spot on!
    I should have taken 12fps, but the number of images I had is too too short!
    Due to this I have to do this.
    Lesson learnt. When doing time lapses, take atleast 200 images/session so at 15fps you have over 10 seconds. I have seen 15fps speeded to 30 by duplicating frames works great.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The standard used to be 8 seconds. Ie, non-action shots shouldn't exceed 8 seconds. That's long enough for people to take in what they're seeing but not so long that they get bored. Watch older documentaries or nature programming and time the shots. Almost all the non-action shots are 8 seconds or less.

Of course, kids today only have 1 second attention spans so 8 seconds will put them to sleep.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    The standard used to be 8 seconds. Ie, non-action shots shouldn't exceed 8 seconds. That's long enough for people to take in what they're seeing but not so long that they get bored. Watch older documentaries or nature programming and time the shots. Almost all the non-action shots are 8 seconds or less.

Of course, kids today only have 1 second attention spans so 8 seconds will put them to sleep.
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but that is a cool bit of info there.

As a total aside it always bugs me that a lot graphics people never use a good font for title graphics. It always seems like they just have white text but no outlines of the text. When the titles are over white or light colored backgrounds it is very hard to read the text clearly in the two or three seconds that they are on the screen (mostly for commercials but some tv/movies are guilty of this).

One other gripe is background music or background videos (particularly in news broadcasts). It seems like nobody knows that the volume has a SLIDER and can be turned DOWN. The backgrounds so often drown out the speaker, even in documentaries they do that sometimes.

Just two annoyances of mine that seem so simple to fix and don't seem to be addressed in post production before a final cut is released.

Edit - sorry for the sidetrack there - back to the main thread.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm impressed, beautiful footage, excellent music choice. Job well done!

rcubed

PS we get mostly cloudy skies
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys
    @jagabo
    That was some amazing bit of info.
    I guess 15*8 = 120. So I need to take atleast 150 shots/session to be on the safe side

BTW I am planning a starry sky time lapse. Since stars are slow moving, FPS of 8 is also good enough if there are no clouds around. It always looks smooth,
    Quote Quote