VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I know that the official support for xp is ending in 2014. What happens to the computers running xp then?

How much more vulnerable to attacks will they be? Will they be giant magnets for hackers saying come and get me?

If you have an antivirus program on them can you safely use them as a media server in your home environment?

I have three computers - one with win8 one with vista and one with xp.

My plan is to have win8 be my main machine since its the fastest and vista will be my surfing/printing machine since I'll move that to the room that has the printer (win8 is doing htpc duty sort of).

Will I be able to use the xp computer with updated antivirus and do streaming from it?

And I haven't done any testing but I'd like recommendations for dlna streaming programs for transmitting to a xbox360 and a ps3.

Are tversity and playon still the most ideal programs for that purpose?

Please note the xp computer is a lowly single core pc so transcoding anything higher than vcd and MAYBE dvd level is out of the question. It would be strictly for file serving so I'd have to preencode nonstandard files if I went this way.

Otherwise my uses for the xp computer diminish greatly.

Though I suppose I could find other purposes for it. What about dual booting dos and xp for a retro gaming platform?

Thanks.......
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll continue to use mine as my main A/V computer. The hardware and software I have does everything I need and is stable under XP. For online stuff I'll use a Windows 7 machine.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Ok I know that the official support for xp is ending in 2014. What happens to the computers running xp then?

How much more vulnerable to attacks will they be? Will they be giant magnets for hackers saying come and get me?

If you have an antivirus program on them can you safely use them as a media server in your home environment?

I have three computers - one with win8 one with vista and one with xp.

My plan is to have win8 be my main machine since its the fastest and vista will be my surfing/printing machine since I'll move that to the room that has the printer (win8 is doing htpc duty sort of).

Will I be able to use the xp computer with updated antivirus and do streaming from it?

And I haven't done any testing but I'd like recommendations for dlna streaming programs for transmitting to a xbox360 and a ps3.

Are tversity and playon still the most ideal programs for that purpose?

Please note the xp computer is a lowly single core pc so transcoding anything higher than vcd and MAYBE dvd level is out of the question. It would be strictly for file serving so I'd have to preencode nonstandard files if I went this way.

Otherwise my uses for the xp computer diminish greatly.

Though I suppose I could find other purposes for it. What about dual booting dos and xp for a retro gaming platform?

Thanks.......
    if your xp machine crashes and you reinstall xp you won't be able to get it back up to where it was with service pack 3 &
    all the current updates. you'll be a sitting duck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ="october262"]if your xp machine crashes and you reinstall xp you won't be able to get it back up to where it was with service pack 3 &
    So what they're not going to be storing the updates that have been released? You got to be kidding.

Anyway I do have backups with a portable harddrive and paragon software so I can get back to where I am.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post

if your xp machine crashes and you reinstall xp you won't be able to get it back up to where it was with service pack 3 &
    That is not true. Microsoft will still offer SP3 and all other updates and patches from Windows Update. Heck, they still host Windows 2000 updates that you can get from Windows Update.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vidd View Post

That is not true. Microsoft will still offer SP3 and all other updates and patches from Windows Update. Heck, they still host Windows 2000 updates that you can get from Windows Update.
    That's kind of what I thought. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the re-activation is the only way to install a fresh/clean copy of xp.

but what happens when you decide to upgrade your HDD ?
    or CPU ?
    or motherboard ?

how will this be handled ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vidd View Post

can you still activiate/register xp after april 2014 ???
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can you still activiate/register xp after april 2014 ???
    Yes, you can install, re-install, activate, and re-activate after April 2014.

Microsoft official statement says "The end of Windows XP support will not affect activation, but rather security updates and phone/online technical support."
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/51ca501d-1ccd-4978-9e03-7705e...orum=itproxpsp
    Last edited by Vidd; 23rd Nov 2013 at 10:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you get right down to it, if Microsoft wants to be a hard-ass about it, and not provide updates and activations, plenty of torrents exist for slipstreamed discs and pre-activated copies.

All that would do is give MS bad PR, so they won't do that.

Mom and pop don't use XP, and MS doesn't sell XP. Techies that still need it can use the unofficial route if forced.

So much of this is a non-issue anyway.

As far as updates are concerned, I don't go online with those computers, and really don't care. Those are for video.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Google "activate XP after 2014" and what's the first item?

"The end of Windows XP support will not affect activation, but rather security updates and phone/online technical support."

No new updates. Otherwise, nothing changes.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so i can still re install xp service pack 3 get all current updates that i have now and register/activiate - correct??
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, activation and all updates will still be available.
    Quote Quote  
  14. vhelp sez: the re-activation is the only way to install a fresh/clean copy of xp.
    but what happens when you decide to upgrade your HDD ? or CPU ? or motherboard ? how will this be handled ?
    I remember reading an article way back when which said that reactivation is typically required when more than a minimum hardware upgrade occurs. I don't remember the exact details of when "minimum" would be exceeded, but I've certainly upgraded HDDs on many an XP machine via the cloning software that came with the HDD, and never had a need to reactivate. Same for a CPU upgrade (to a faster speed), with no other change made.

Here's an article from 2009 that may shed some light . . . may or may not be valid today.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
    Last edited by CobraPilot; 23rd Nov 2013 at 13:07. Reason: Added link.
    Quote Quote  
  15. The only real risk anymore, is being connected to the internet (if you ignore Stuxnet, but you're not trying to enrich uranium, are you!). So if your PC is off the net, you can do without an AV (with all the good low cost/freeware, you're not still downloading warez, I hope), it will run much smoother too.

Make your own up to date XP install disc with nLite, slipstream SP3 (if your original disc doesn't have it) and save the ISO. When the second Tuesday of April comes around get this update pack and slipstream it to your ISO and you'll be able to re-install XP fully updated anytime.

If they would ever prevent activation, don't worry, it won't take too many days before you see a dozen patches to bypass it. I suspect that within 5 years there won't be too many people interested to use it. Just like it's trivial to install Win98, but no one is doing it. The larger issue is driver support.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I suspect that the biggest pain in the butt will be that most hardware manufacturers will probably stop releasing XP drivers for any new products pretty soon after April.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone.

I was wondering though for doing file serving - do I need to do anything special to the wifi adapter I have?

I have a belkin wifi n usb adapter that I use on it to surf. So long as its on my home network it will work for transmitting correct?

I don't need to do anything special to have it be a home server do I? It's been awhile since I've done anything like that.

I'll have to go into windows media player and make sure that media sharing is enabled though right? But I shouldn't really have to bother if I use tversity or playon is that correct?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Gotta do some soul-searching right now.

I said(to myself) that I would stick with XP (I only have the one PC) while it was supported and then consider an upgrade to the OS - probably to Win7 with an optional XP mode - after that.

But I look at my updates and there is currently a raft of 'security issues' that I have not installed and I appear not to have any issues - I will eventually get around to installing these.

So I do ask myself whether my system will be more insecure after 4/2014 than it is now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by db83
    ut I look at my updates and there is currently a raft of 'security issues' that I have not installed and I appear not to have any issues - I will eventually get around to installing these.
    I think a shiver just went down my spine.

I always do the updates.

You must really trust your antivirus software.

I do trust norton but I also trust that microsoft is doing a necessary update when they put the patches out, hence I load them.

So I do ask myself whether my system will be more insecure after 4/2014 than it is now.
    If this is your main daily web surfing pc I would be concerned.

If it's a spare that you kick around with than I wouldn't be so worried.

Edit - and I might suggest you look into offloading any sensitive files to external drives and regularly backup to disc. Keep sensitive stuff off this computer to limit any potential risks.

Might be overly paranoid but if you haven't done updates I would think about going that route.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah. But I am also a bit paranoid with updates. Had a few that screwed my system - the .net framework ones are the main suspects.

Yet I readilly accept that I roll dice. Built the current system late 2008 and, to date, have not had to do a reinstall whereas in the past they came around every 9 months or so.

Now having said that I had better organise that backup
    Quote Quote  
  21. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    It won't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    have not had to do a reinstall whereas in the past they came around every 9 months or so.
    Yep I know what you mean there. I used to have a hp win 98 desktop that needed a reinstall every 6 months or so. Never could tell if it was win98 or the computer itself. I did like win98 it just seemed to be that particular pc.

Ever since xp I have been very happy, vista even is ok to me.

Now having said that I had better organise that backup
    that is definitely a good idea

I should do mine again also. I did a month or so ago.

I should also probably buy another portable for it for insurance. Though the harddrive I'm using is less than two years old so I think it should be ok.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In all the years I've run XP I encountered one virus and that was my own fault for not using better anti-virus software. I use XP Pro-SP3 with no activation required. I've had updated turn-off for years. If you run adequate anti-virus software why should XP ever become un-usable?

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/european-technology/ok-so-stick-with-windows-xp-but-h...sk-do-you-run/
    Last edited by wulf109; 24th Nov 2013 at 10:26.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    It won't.
    Actually, some IT security experts think it may. The reason is that there is speculation without any proof by some IT security experts that the bad guys are sitting on several "zero day" exploits (this means that the exploit cannot be stopped in a fully patched and up to date system because nobody knew this exploit was possible so there is no defense against it) and once Microsoft officially stops patching XP, these exploits will go active so the bad guys can take control of as many old XP servers as possible. You have to decide for yourself if you think this fear is credible or not. I can tell you that the old "I'm just a dude with one tiny PC who uses it at home for hobby purposes, so why would anybody bother hacking me?" excuse won't fly and no PC is so insignificant that somebody somewhere doesn't want to control it for their own purposes.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the year 2014 will have increased vulnerabilities because attacks may purposely be targeting XP machines. (Gee - what single company would benefit from THOSE?!!)

But after a period of time, the most lucrative method of attacking vulnerabilities will be severely tilted towards XP's successors. I bet that virus attacks created after 2003-2004 towards Win2000 and W98 are about zero.

The worst issues I've seen is getting new programs to run in 32-bit WinXP. Kaspersky 2013 is a hog on XP. Some "2014"-named products don't list supporting XP at all.

I think these are going to be the main issues. There may be a few XP-specific attacks, but mostly I've been shocked that Microsoft would state that, publicly, as their 'threat' to XP users. They've never issued such sentiments before - they've merely stated "support will end", not "the sky is falling on YOU". If you want to learn how to slipstream SATA drivers, then you should be able to move into Haswell-era. Drivers will eventually be the biggest roadblock for newest hardware.

I still have very useful programs that only run on XP. The so-called "upgrades" to those strip away useful-to-me services, so why would I "upgrade" downwards? I won't. XP will be fine.

As for hardware... ASROCK is still producing some motherboards (pre-Haswell and AMD 990 chipsets) with IDE and even FDD connectors. Fairly modern CPUs, modern DDR3, easy-to-load SATA drivers if you don't want to slipstream XP-SP2 with those, and so on.
    Last edited by OllieTSB; 24th Nov 2013 at 15:07.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    One type of problem for XP users will be exploits found in later operating systems. Vista, Win 7 and 8 will get patched, but many of these attack vectors will also apply for XP, and that system will not receive free updates for exploits.

So the hackers wait for these to arrive in updates for the newer systems, and then work out how to apply them for XP.

For the next couple of years, XP will be a prime target, until the number of users drop to such a point that it isn't worth doing anymore. You probably shouldn't do any online credit card transactions, or banking with an XP system after updates end.

I have one XP system that I keep offline for those rare instances when I need it, and I'm moving my sister's system to Win 7 soon.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 24th Nov 2013 at 17:47. Reason: spelling error
    Quote Quote