VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. A lot of kids don't take care of dvds. They don't put them in cases, so they get scratched. At least that's what I did (do). Also, I have gone through countless players that die after a year. With vhs tapes, they can survive without a case. Sure, small parts of the movie may break up for a second, but at least it does not skip. Plus, I have an old vcr that just will not die. That's why I think they are better. What do you think?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Interesting metric.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Stay with very low resolution video where tapes can be eaten and never be fixed,anything in the hands of kids will be mistreated,i have dvds from 10 years ago that are in perfect condition cause i never let kids touch them,i'll put on the dvd to play for them.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hardwood floor in the room may be decisive factor for dvd's to get scratched as oppose to carpet for example, ... persistent reminders how to handle DVD's might help, but sure it is going to happen with lots of DVD's. I backed up some DVD's using media player but realized that it makes no sense to back it ALL up later, after some got damaged a downloaded them again, I paid for it already.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    To each his own. Even if stored properly and not played, tapes can get damaged by time.

DVD/BD players need a lot of space to air cool properly and if you are a typical American whose wife made him put the TV and components in a TV cabinet, you have no one to blame but yourself for why your players die so quickly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A lot of kids don't take care of dvds. They don't put them in cases, so they get scratched. At least that's what I did (do).
    So you are a child and do not know how to take care of your property ??
    LOL!!!
    Kids that do not take care of stuff are the children of lazy parents that should not have children!!!!!!
    To put it as nicely as I can!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. [QUOTE=Noahtuck;2282578]
    Kids that do not take care of stuff are the children of lazy parents that should not have children!!!!!!
    Are you serious, talking about DVD's in this case?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Whole lotta crazy in this thread...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=_Al_;2282579]
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    DVD's, CD's, anything you can think of!!!
    My kids were taught from the day they were in walkers what they could and could not play with and how to take care of stuff as they grew!!
    My youngest of 3 is 27 and I have cd's that are as old as he is that look like they just came out of the package!!
    I was not lazy and I actually payed attention and taught my kids how to be careful, respectful and take care of things.

Oh the stories I could tell of idiot parents I have seen over the last 30 years!!

One of my best friends for 20 years, many years ago we talked about his brother, he did not pay attention or care enough to teach his kids how to take care of stuff and just let them run wild, who were between 7 & 9, he always had scratched dvd's, jam, fingerprints, broken, etc. disc's laying all over his front room floor from his kids.

Yet my friend who had kids the same age, all his disc's were immaculate even though he let them use them.
    But he was not lazy and taught his kids how to take care of stuff, put it away when they were done, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=_Al_;2282579]
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I think that is the dumbest reply ever.
    And to what I was talking about!!!
    What does it matter if I am talking about DVD's or a car, cat, toy, etc.
    Is there some time limit or are people who grow/grew up in the dvd era exempt from being idiots and teaching/learning how to take care of anything ??
    Quote Quote  
  11. So, to let kids scratch a dvd is idiotic and to reply like you do is perfectly ok? I see. That is the way how to bring up kids.

Did you do some research, that letting kids handle some DVD's alone (yes they do that even if you explain them handling DVD's, 3 year old is 3 year old) that they become destroyers of whatever is around them? That they will total cars. They will torture cats and such?

That is some standout BS you talk.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Research ?!?!?
    How about common ******* sense!!!!!
    Who the F*#K lets a 3 year old play with a DVD ?!?!?!
    And my kids never tortured cats when they were 3, ya know why ?
    Because I was not a lazy dumbass and actually WATCHED my kids!!!
    Obviously unlike you!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Are you 80 or something? Seriously. That would explain your attitude and I back off.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it's an age problem. It's more of little problem with what biological science often refers to as visual acuity. Also a problem with not handing the kids a swift kick in the pants, and making them pay for their own media if they can't respect the property of others. If all else fails, kick them out of the house and lock them out for keeps. That usually gets their attention
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 13:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This post is Insane.....

With a good copy of digital media, no errors in the coding, it is just a much better media. All a DVD is an mpeg2 file, you don't even need the DVD as long has you have a storage drive. It is not that hard to make your own DVR.

Right now working on a media project were some of the stuff is good digital and other segments are old video tape recordings. Some of the stuff is VHS the other stuff is Beta. My goal on the project is to blend it so it all looks the same. The VHS stuff has a lot of chroma noise, picture bleeding and saturation.

I am using a $3,500 VHS player and a 1985 Betamax with an external TBC. Recorded the digital segments back to both. The Super Betamax picture blew away the SVHS picture. Personally have a collection of the best VCR's ever made for tapes and they still don't match the Betamax picture.

Been doing some audio tests lately, because I like analog sound vs digital. Really haven't made up my mind which audio sounds the best they are all different. One of the VCR's records with Dolby NR. The proline JVC deck records in an equal channel manor. Than the Betamax has an MPX filter.

Some of the old analog broadcasts do look better on tape than digital TV. Some regular TV from like 04 to 08 vs 1991 analog. I will take 91 even with some of the color levels being off.

Personally like film the best even vs digital HD.

PS I just watched Star Trek in 3D on BluRay, will copy it to VHS with 240 lines of RES for you, let me know how much better the picture is on VHS.
    Last edited by Deter; 20th Nov 2013 at 23:43.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Wow, I never expected this thread to go this crazy! I understand that tapes do wear out over time, but they are still better for kids, unless they can damage the entire film, part of the movie will play. With DVDs, they can just lock the player up. Most of my DVDs are from when I was a little kid, and they have a TON of scratches and they don't play! Now, most of my childhood VHS tapes have no slipcase, yet they play fine! (besides my grainy toy story tape) And aren't we all kids at heart?
    Quote Quote  
  17. And, I was three. Give me a break. The player was in my room, along with my DVDs. I didn't know better! I take good care of my new DVDs, but I don't have the cases from my old ones. I honestly never watch them because I can't find a good player!
    Quote Quote  
  18. VHS still has it's merits in my opinion.

DVD is obviously a superior format for picture quality that goes without saying. Sound is debatable but you can get 5.1 on DVD.

However VHS still has a certain convenience factor. Just the little things like always being able to continue a film form exactly were you left off, being able to fast forward through any adverts at the beginning of the tape and recording things is allot quicker in my opinion with less hassle than recording on DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Plus some DVD players won't let you fast forward through the ads. Being forced to watch ads is not fun.
    Quote Quote  
  20. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vcruser View Post
    I understand that tapes do wear out over time, but they are still better for kids, unless they can damage the entire film, part of the movie will play.
    Neither VHS tapes nor DVDs are toys for the spoiled children of spoiled parents, according to my book.

With DVDs, they can just lock the player up. Most of my DVDs are from when I was a little kid, and they have a TON of scratches and they don't play! Now, most of my childhood VHS tapes have no slipcase, yet they play fine! (besides my grainy toy story tape) And aren't we all kids at heart?
    No comments.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vcruser View Post
    Wow, I never expected this thread to go this crazy!
    You posted a controversial opinion that you know will not be shared by the majority of people here and you act shocked when the thread veers out of control and starts getting bogged down in personal insults between others. You must not read the forums much.

Here are a few other "fun" topics to post about, should you wish to duplicate your results here. This list is not meant to be complete of controversial topics.

DVD is better than BD.
    VCD is better than anything.
    More expensive HDMI cables are actually better than cheaper ones. Variation - no HDMI cable worth owning sells for less than about $30-40 (price in US dollars).
    Brand X hard disk drives are better than brand Y. In fact, you have NEVER known of a brand Y drive that didn't have a problem within weeks of purchase.
    Only idiots leave their PCs on all the time because it adds hundreds of dollars to your monthly electricity bill.
    There's no difference at all between DVD media and only suckers pay more for specific "better" brands.
    DVD+R sucks or DVD-R sucks and the other one is better because (provide web link to another site to support your contention).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    looked out the window ...... saw a full moon ..... that explains all
    Quote Quote  
  23. Looking forward to crystal data media and the first kid that swallows one of those.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Looking forward to crystal data media and the first kid that swallows one of those.
    Wow, child as media player. I like it!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Looking forward to crystal data media and the first kid that swallows one of those.
    They even come with different slots for different media?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    They even come with different slots for different media?
    Yes, but you have to be careful. The quality on some is pretty sh**ty, and others give a whole new dimension to "Wreck It Ralph."
    Quote Quote  
  27. Best thread ever!
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VCR-what played last year may not next year,they shrink and become unplayable,especially at EP speed. Back in the good old days of VCR's I found beta less prone to tape damage than VHS. VHS's shorter but sharply angled path was harder on the tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Well then. I had a VCR tape eating episode last night. Are Magnavox VCRs supposed to break?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    VCR-what played last year may not next year,they shrink and become unplayable,especially at EP speed. Back in the good old days of VCR's I found beta less prone to tape damage than VHS. VHS's shorter but sharply angled path was harder on the tapes.

Where did you store the tape? On a windowsill in the sun?

I don't know what's wrong with everyone. In 20 years I've only ever had 1 DVD player go wrong and that's because it was a really cheep one that was used every day. I've only ever had 1 VHS player go wrong too and that's because it was used every day for 15 years and the heads have worn out.

I've never experienced any problems with VHS recordings degrading and I've always been careful enough not to get a DVD scratched.

The way people talk on here you'd think VHS and DVD players were made out of cottage cheese!
    Last edited by Sir Digby Chicken Caesar; 21st Nov 2013 at 17:30.
    Quote Quote