VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have just completed a new build and have saved all the contact details I have within M$OUTLOOK. Now I do not know how to use the file carrying the contacts.
    Appreciate help.

Bob
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whats outlook version?? Whats windows?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Cauptain,

Thanks for taking time out, Windows 2003.

Cheers,
    Bob
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blinky88 View Post
    Hi Cauptain,

Thanks for taking time out, Windows 2003.

Cheers,
    Bob
    Outlook 2003 too or MS Outlook Express?

If Outlook 2003, the easy way is:

- Export all contacts to .pst via menu (import/Export)
    - Copy this .pst file to new PC.
    - Import the contacts.

From Microsoft:
    Microsoft Office Outlook® 2003 To back up the Contacts folder, you need to export the folder to a file in Personal Folders file (.pst) format.
    • On the File menu, click Import and Export.
    • Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
    • In the Create a file of type list, click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.
    • In the Select a folder to export from list, click Contacts.
    • If you have subfolders below the Contacts folder that you want to include, select the Include subfolders check box.
    • Click Next.
    • Click Browse, choose a location for the file, such as My Documents, and then type a name for your backup file, such as ContactsBackup.pst.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Finish.
    • In the Name box, type My Contacts Backup.
    • Type the encryption and password settings if you need them, and then click OK.

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So - you're on MS Office 2003? With Outlook 2003? Or are you using Outlook Express?

And your new build is Windows ??

Of course, if you're using Outlook Express, kiss that goodbye because it's no longer functional on Win7 or Win8.

The way I've solved this issue is to install the free Mozilla Thunderbird and then the free Mozbackup (there's a 1.52Beta that I've recently tested with perfection).

Install the new Thunderbird on the Old Computer that has the accounts (Outlook/OutlookExpress). Thunderbird has a wizard that will find the account info quite handily, and import everything - mails, addresses, settings, etc.

Then, I use MozBackup to do a "backup" of Thunderbird-on-old-Computer. (MozBackup doesn't really 'install' - it just 'runs'.)

At this point, I install Thunderbird on the New Computer. I let it do a full email-account setup, too, because some of the Port Numbers will be different on your new computer from your old one. These are quite important and won't be discovered easily, otherwise.

Now, I copy the Backup Files (that Mozbackup created on the Old Computer) onto the New Computer.

Run MozBackup on the New Computer, and select RESTORE. I strongly recommend only restoring Emails and Address Books - NOT settings. You've already created the proper settings during Thunderbird's setup process - you don't want to overwrite those with the old computer's now-wrong settings.

At this point, I've got my POP Mail system installed on the new computer, using Thunderbird instead of Outlook.

If you're an Outlook Express user, you can complain and gripe all you want, but it's a dead program now. There is no choice.

If you're an Outlook user, there IS a choice but since Microsoft has tinkered around with various POP mail systems (Outlook, Outlook Express, Mail Live, Outlook COM, etc.), it might be preferable to 'bite the bullet' and learn Thunderbird, pretending that IT will remain consistent for years in the future.

(One of my reasons to prefer Thunderbird is Mozbackup, by the way. This is such a handy tool for true Backups and Restores, so much easier than Outlook or Outlook Express. It can create one large file containing "everything" and then I can selectively Restore I want. And the Backup File is stored in MY chosen location, not some hidden-away path. That's almost worth all the New Package Learning Time.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there isn't a need for mozbackup and it looks like abandonware now as even the beta is a year and half old. you can just copy the thunderbird identity folder and have all your emails/contacts/plugins. and there is no way to get "wrong" settings on a new computer. they all use the same ports for email. you just install thunderbird on the new computer. close it when it starts asking for account info. copy the contents of the saved identity folder to the new user location identity folder and you're good to go.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OS Windows XP3
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blinky88 View Post
    OS Windows XP3
    Microsoft Windows Professional XPSP3 + MS Office 2003, correct??

If yes, just read post #4.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Cauptain,

Followed your instructions several times still unable to restore .... thank you for taking time out to help me, appreciated.
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Describe IN COMPLETE DETAIL how you saved all the previous outlook contact info.

What version of outlook on the OLD computer?

What version of outlook on the NEW computer?

Usually, you can simply copy the entire PST file, which contains everything, from the old PC to the new one.

If ANYTHING UNUSUAL happened during this process, such as smoke or possibly actual flame erupting from the motherboard during the installation, describe this.

Yes, I remember you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing usual, simply followed early instruction to no avail. I am using Windows XP3 complete with sata drivers. I have the Outlook file containing my contacts etc. on my desktop however unable to extract the info from it.
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Look, shit-for-brains, if you want some goddamn help importing your freaking contacts, it will be NECESSARY FOR YOU TO PROVIDE SOME USEFUL INFORMATION.

What export type did you use? There are several. Filename EXTENSION?

What import method have you tried? It's pretty freaking simple, in fact you would have to try hard to screw it up.

Since you are obviously too stupid to do that, copy the ENTIRE pst file from the old PC, and put it where the current PST file is on the new computer.

TO ALL - I strongly suspect this individual is a troll. Nobody could possibly be this dense. This is also the guy who had a dead new PC some time back and took three pages to mention smoking the board at initial power-up.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by blinky88 View Post
    I am using Windows XP3 complete with sata drivers. I have the Outlook file containing my contacts etc. on my desktop however unable to extract the info from it.
    Bob, did you manage to recover contacts with the instructions provided above?
    Last edited by Bobbi; 18th Dec 2013 at 03:07.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Name callers deserve their own labels.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nelson,

I would really like to meet you and show you just how stupid I am ....

You are nothing but a wanker.

I have never been spoken to like that in my life, I would make sure you never got the chance for you to say that to any one again.

I'm located in Brisbane, love to meet you in person.

People like you belong in in cage.

Bob
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote