VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all, anyone got any thoughts on a tool that will show the GOP structure of a MPEG2 file and or display stats on bits per frame, VBR/CBR, null packets etc....

Thanks in advance

Neil
    Quote Quote  
  2. brilliant thats what i was looking for thanks a lot
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    GSpot is very helpful, it has all kinds of uses.

But what would examining a GOP structure possibly find?
    Quote Quote  
  4. In my case I'm doing some quality testing for a client, and I've been creating some test files to match as closely as I can the house video standards.

MPEG2 20mbps long GOP for SD playout is what I was told.

Anyway the GOP length I would expect is 12 (for pal) but the files I've been seeing are 18, this might be reducing playout quality just a tiny bit... I just needed a tool to prove it for my report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themoog View Post

Anyway the GOP length I would expect is 12 (for pal) but the files I've been seeing are 18, this might be reducing playout quality just a tiny bit... I just needed a tool to prove it for my report.
    "GOP length = 12(for PAL)" <= from where did you get this rule or recommendation

FYI, a lot depends on framerate, picture dimensions, and the quality of the encoder as well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes I know, hence mentioning the pal FRAMERATE and I don't remember a written down rule anywhere, but most broadcasters I've worked for seem to favour 2/12.

A quick off the cuff google search

http://documentation.apple.com/en/compressor/usermanual/index.html#chapter=18%26sectio...5%26tasks=true

"For most media, spacing I-frames about 1/2 second apart gives good results. This equates to a GOP size of 15 frames for NTSC and 12 frames for PAL. The DVD-Video specification prohibits GOP lengths from being much longer than this. Generally, only material with scene changes occurring less than 1/2 second apart frequently throughout the video will benefit from shorter GOP sizes."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by themoog View Post

"GOP length = 12(for PAL)" <= from where did you get this rule or recommendation

FYI, a lot depends on framerate, picture dimensions, and the quality of the encoder as well.

http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_etr/100_199/154/03_60/etr_154e03p.pdf

5.1.7 Video sequence header
    Encoding: It is recommended that a video sequence header, immediately followed by an I-frame, be
    encoded at least once every 500 milliseconds . If quantiser matrices other than the default are used, the
    appropriate intra_quantiser_matrix and/or non_intra_quantiser_matrix are recommended to be
    included in every sequence header .
    NOTE 1: Increasing the frequency of video sequence headers and I-frames will reduce channel
    hopping time but will reduce the efficiency of the video compression.
    NOTE 2: Having a regular interval between I-frames may improve trick mode performance, but
    may reduce the efficiency of the video compression.
    Quote Quote  
  8. thanks Pandy, 500/40=12.5 so that sounds about right.... now i know where that recommendation comes from
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by themoog View Post
    thanks Pandy, 500/40=12.5 so that sounds about right.... now i know where that recommendation comes from
    as a non English native i don't know how to reply after reading http://www.businessinsider.com/why-you-should-never-say-youre-welcome-2013-11

so perhaps: Не вопрос!
    Be Well!
    Quote Quote