VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been trying to rip a DVD with the intent of timing and adding some better subtitles to it.The DVD seems to rip okay (I use DVD Decrypter), but then when I load the files into another program (I first want to convert to .avi for ease of use with subtitle workshop) the duration of each file is shorter. For example, a 20 minute .VOB shows up as something like 13 minutes.

Does anyone know what kind of problem this is?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by architectofpain View Post
    I've been trying to rip a DVD with the intent of timing and adding some better subtitles to it.The DVD seems to rip okay (I use DVD Decrypter)
    Try using a decrypter that isn't out of date by 8 years?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Very true. I guess I just stick with what I know.

I've tried with DVDFab and AnyDVD HD and had the same result with both though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by architectofpain View Post
    Very true. I guess I just stick with what I know.

I've tried with DVDFab and AnyDVD HD and had the same result with both though.
    Then it's your "convert to AVI" that is screwing it up. What kind of AVI are you converting to?
    What kind of AVI does subtitle workshop accept?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I haven't gotten that far yet. I initially loaded the .VOB files into AviDemux (I usually find it easier to get the start and end timings from there). When I got the usual message about loading concurrent .VOB files, they'd stop after the first one and I'd have to load them individually. It was then I noticed that the length was shorter. For example, the total length of the film should be around 1 hour and 50 minutes, loaded into AviDemux it was about 1 hour and 28 minutes.

I wasn't sure about converting to .AVI at this time as it may have produced a file with the shorter length.
    Quote Quote  
  6. And what program are you using to do the conversion? You might try AutoGK as I've never heard of it getting the length wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks. Should I proceed with AutoGK even though the .VOBs are giving me the wrong length at this time?
    Quote Quote  
  8. You haven't told us what the program is that shows them as the wrong length, or if you've played them and they show the wrong length in your file player. You haven't told us much at all. So how can anyone know? But assuming they've been decrypted to the hard drive properly (maybe a big assumption) then, yes, I'd go ahead and open either the first VOB file (and the rest will follow automatically) or the IFO in AutoGK, and make a quick 1-pass for the default quality of 75% so you can get something quickly to help with the subtitles you're making.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yeah, true. My bad.

AVIDemux was showing them at the wrong length. If I play them with Windows Media Player they're correct. I think though this is the case because I played it via the .ifo.

Please let me know if there is anything else I've left out and I'll fill you in.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  10. You're welcome. So, are you done making the AVI yet? Have you actually had any program encode it yet?
    Quote Quote  
  11. AutoGK was able to encode it successfully. It shows the correct length too, so I'm working with the subtitles at the moment.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AviDemux was showing 1 hour and 28 minutes and not the correct 1 hour and 50 minutes because it had assumed a frame rate of 29.97 fps when the source was probably film at 23.976 fps. 110 minutes / 88 minutes = 1.25 and 29.97 / 23.976 = 1.25. Just set the frame rate in AviDemux to the correct value. The audio sync will be way off if the frame rate is not set correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks.The source is 25fps, but maybe my averages were a bit off.
    Quote Quote