VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks,

I'm the type that always needs to know why/how things work. I don't just power up a computer and it magically does what I want, instead I learn c++, make apps and see how it works.. (but that's off topic!!)

so here is where I am:

I've got a 3dtv, updated my computer to play blu-ray and watched 3d movies on either the pc or the ps3.
    I've researched and learned that 2 cameras are used for the left/right eye.
    I've created a short animation that uses 2 cameras and created a sbs movie(I switch the mode on the tv to watch sbs as 3d)

there is more to it than that...

My question is how to author the movie as a 3d film, rather than sbs?
    the only thing ive found is roxio mydvd that can do the trick, but there`s a $50 price tag with that and its a tad expensive seems as im only playing/learning..
    is there any open source programs out there, as so far, I've found nothing?

thanks for any reply's...
    Last edited by YorkieOl; 12th Nov 2013 at 01:12. Reason: typo..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the only consumer program i know of that can create actual 3d bd is vegas pro 12.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You'll probably want to do a little background research on it anyway, so I'd suggest you look at my past posts on "stereo3d" or "stereo 3d" or "stereoscopic".

In them, you'll find that there is NO opensource (or any other kind of freeware option) apps for doing what you want. Probably for the simple reason that 3D is still quite a niche market (much to my chagrin) and the technology involved is mired in patented/proprietary/commercial foundations as well as being very complicated (certainly at least for the mvc encode/decode and TS packet interleaving/deinterleaving steps).

There are about 3 or 4 commercial apps that will give you stereo3D-capable discs (with varying degrees of cost & features & quality). The Roxio one you mentioned produces ONLY (less than) Half-quality SD SbS 3D material DVDs (not full nor half-quality HD 3D material on BDs) and it is the cheapest of the bunch, so if you cannot afford that one, you certainly cannot afford the better apps. As mentioned before, Vegas Pro (v10-12) can do full quality (true MVC/SSIF) 3DBDs. It is the best option quality-wise available to regular consumers, but it isn't cheap either. And if you were to go into PRO 3DBD authoring, the price jumps at least ~6x (into the multiple thousands).

If you were up for programming your own opensource app, I'd gladly let you know what I know about the format.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. thanks for your quick replies peeps..

at 600, it makes mydvd look cheap. I have seen a YouTube video showing how to do it with mydvd hd. that said, research online indicates the cheaper packages usually give poor results... anyone used roxio mydvd hd?

to combine the left right images, I used sterio 3d maker, by the way..

thanks again for your replies..
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    UPDATE: Things may start to get easier to do for 3D (particularly 3DBD), given the latest software tool additions: FRIM MVC Encoder/Decoder, updated beta TSMuxer, and Blu-Disc Studio...

Gonna have to try these out in the upcoming weeks, though still waiting on a Win7/64 box, so it might be longer. Even if it does work, it would likely not be the way to go for newbies (AVISynth scripts, CLI tools, etc required). But it bodes well for the future.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have to be honest, I did spot mvc enc/dec and tsmuxer during my searches. The names gave me flashbacks of learning about vcd's, before dvd became popular.. Maybe its worth the challenge of figuring out such tools, instead of being lazy and looking for open source suites, before they become available.. hehe..

If you were up for programming your own opensource app, I'd gladly let you know what I know about the format.
    Though I do have an understanding of c++ and how software works, I'm not sure that I am proficient enough to go ahead and create a working suite by myself. I would be telling lies though, if I was to say I hadn't looked at various formats and disk structures over the years, entertaining the idea of creating various software's. As a working person, with various hobbies and interests, a lack of time, as well as experience causes me to not commit to such time consuming tasks.

Still, I do enough crazy stuff, that folks who know me have named me "the mad professor"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pinnacle Studio 17 and PowerDirector 12 can author 3D Blu-ray in multistream, sbs and anaglyph. Both also allow 3D Menus. I own both of these, and right now PowerDirector is the better of the two because it is far more stable. Studio is buggy, buggy, buggy!

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  8. hmm.. may look at director as I use cyberlink for playback.

cheers brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  9. Just wanted to check up on this. Did you find a good solution that could take your SBS file and make a 3D Blu Ray out of it?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Just as an FYI, I was able to get this to work using Sony Vegas. The sound didn't work for some reason, but I think that's because I chose Sony's PCM sound format instead of Dolby AC3. I'll have to try that next time.
    Quote Quote