VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I have this H264 MP4 AVC (part 10) movie of 720x440 resolution. It looks very stretched if loaded into VLC with the aspect ratio set to "default". Once I change it to 2.35:1 it looks fine.

Is this an error made while encoding?

My intended player (wd tv live) has no option for forcing aspect ratio - unlike vlc, potplayer etc...

So, I guess, I need to fix the file? If so, how? Must I re-encode?

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  2. For WDTV Live you just remux it with mkvmerge, setting proper aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    For WDTV Live you just remux it with mkvmerge, setting proper aspect ratio.
    Thanks a million! I actually have a whole bunch of them, these are Woody Allen's movies, so hard to find... You just saved me a lot of pain.
    Best!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Woody Allen's movies are hard to find? Where do you live?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Woody Allen's movies are hard to find? Where do you live?
    Well, I've found 44 of his movies in decent resolution and quality. It wasn't easy. Especially ones from 60s. Audio tracks were often found separately and needed to be synched.
    Try it yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    By saying "I've found 44 of his movies in decent resolution and quality", I don't think the O.P. is buying this stuff. Anyway, Woody as a writer is known to have worked on 77 films/TV movies/TV shows, not counting specific episodes of productions like The Show Of Shows. Inferior pirated copies of his work are all over the place.
    Quote Quote  
  7. yes, 70+. but only around 50 directed. and, yes, found means found. inferiority though is questionable: many rips appear to be professionally done and there are uncompressed sources as well.
    Quote Quote