VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was using the excellent handbrake to convert from Mpeg2 to Mpeg 4 compression and from MPG to MP4 container. Then I discovered that my hardware DVD player didn't like mp4 containers!

I have since found out that my combi tv/dvd, dvd supports:

'.mpg', '.dat', '.vob' containers with mpeg1 / mpeg2 video compression, mpeg1/2/3 audio compression

or

'.avi' container with 'ms iso' or 'mpeg4' video compression, pcm/mp3 audio compression

I have then tried using Winff to transcode to '.avi' container and:
    video compression 'MPEG4'
    audio compression 'MP3'
    But the DVD player turns its nose up at it saying it doesn't support it.

What to do program can I use to get mpeg4 video compression, mp3 audio compression, inside an avi container.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Convert to avi divx / xvid instead. Divx/xvid is so called mpeg-4 asp and works on most dvd players with divx support.

In winff try choose the avi dvd player preset.

I like to use the old xvid4psp 5 and use the avi hardware preset.

You could also use video to video converter, freemake video converter or the official divx converter. Choose dvd hardware, avi divx/xvid preset in the converters.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or just try burn your mpeg2 files directly. It might play them directly...if they aren't in HD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the reply, but Divx / xvid is no good as my DVD player doesn't support divx.

The official divx converter does not export files in avi containers.

I am unwilling to install Freemake video converter as I've seen reviews where people have said it installs 'extra apps' notwithstanding them having told it not to.

xvid4psp doesn't seem to be available from mainstream download sites. The developer site seems to require silverlight!

I have been using the original mpeg2 files, but I really like the compression of mpeg4 which shrinks the file size down to a quarter of the originals.

I've recently tried MPEG Streamclip which can create a avi container with the codecs I need but the file size is six times the size of what I started out with.

Doesn't seem possible to change the container without re-encoding the codecs within. For example:

Source
    MPEG4 video ------------ re-encoding----- MPEG4 video
    MP3 sound ----------------re-encoding----- MP3 sound
    MP4 container------------ re-encoding ---- AVI container

I might be better buying blue ray hardware player as many of these seem able (according to pdf manuals) to play mp4/mkv files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by MuxedIfIKnow View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but Divx / xvid is no good as my DVD player doesn't support divx.
    MPEG4 (Part 2) = Divx = Xvid
    MPEG4 (Part 10) = h.264 = AVC -- your player doesn't support this

Note that there are several different fourcc codes that can indicate MPEG 4 Part 2 video in an AVI file. DX50, DIVX, XVID, XVIX, etc. You're player may not recognize all those different fourcc codes. DX50 and XVID are most likely.

Originally Posted by MuxedIfIKnow View Post
    The official divx converter does not export files in avi containers.
    It does if you select the old Divx 5.0/6.0 mode (at least the last time I tried it, quite a while ago).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    MPEG4 (Part 10) = h.264 = AVC -- your player doesn't support this
    Yes player far too old for that LOL. Though new blue ray players could do it!

My player supports MPEG4 asp, so Xvid, even thought player manual has no mention of Divx, or Xvid.

Confusing, but I try again.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you have a Divx/Xvid AVI file that doesn't play try running through AviRecomp. That program will encode with least common denominator settings that work with most Divx/DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  8. divX converter is now version 10. Tried 'theatre' preset which mentions avi, divX, mp3 but outputs in a divx container (and I thought divX was a codec!).

Nowhere to specify output container type. divx converter is fast though and compresses well.

Nowhere to 'select the old Divx 5.0/6.0 mode'.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The divx container is the same as AVI if you don't use any advanced Divx features (like menus, chapters, etc.). Even if you use the advanced features, most player will just ignore the extra "chunks". Just rename the file .AVI.

Divx 5 through 10 all use DX50 as the fourcc for their MPEG 4 Part 2 encodings. There's almost no changes in their MPEG 4 Part 2 encoder since Divx 6. Not much between 5 and 6. Divx 6-10 are all backward compatible with the Divx 5 decoder. Ie, the Divx 5 decoder can decompress any MPEG 4 part 2 video encoded by Divx 6 - 10.
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th Nov 2013 at 17:01.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I renamed the output container type. divx to .avi.

DVD hardware player says 'unsupported codec'. But they play ok on computer. If I call up info on a video file using VLC it states:

Stream 0:
    Type: Video
    Codec MPEG-4 Video (DX50)
    Resolution: 720x548
    Frame rate: 25

Stream 1
    Type: Audio
    Codec: MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3 (mpga)
    Channels: Stereo
    Sample rate: 48000 Hz
    Bitrate : 192 kb/s

TV/DVD hardware combo player format spec is:
    http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz328/MuxedIfIKnow/TVdvdCombo/Formats001_zps3e4a97f7.jpg
    http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz328/MuxedIfIKnow/TVdvdCombo/Formats002_zps1431b4ae.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  11. Do you have a file that does play on your DVD player? What is the fourcc in that file? Try changing the fourcc to match using Avi Fourcc Code Changer.
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVI-FourCC-Code-Changer
    Quote Quote  
  12. Here below is the info from the mpg file that plays fine on the hardware DVD player. However it's an MPEG2 codec inside a mpg container so surely the fourCC of 'mpgv' would flag up an error if used with an MPEG4 codec inside a AVI container?

Stream 0
    Type: video
    Codec: MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)
    Resolution: 720x576
    Frame rate: 50

Stream 1
    Type: Audio
    Codec: MPEG Audio lays 1/2/3 (mpga)
    Channels: Stereo
    Sample rate: 48000 Hz
    Bitrate: 320 kb/s

Maybe someone else already has a solution for the hardware player? It's a Toshiba 22DV501B 22-inch TV/dvd combi.
    Quote Quote  
  13. We know it plays MPEG video in MPG containers. We need to find out what fourcc it supports for MPEG 4 ASP in an AVI container. It's doubtful it will play MPEG 2 video in an AVI container -- that's an unusual combination.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Could non adherence to a filename structure of 8.3 be causing the issue? Manual says 'squat' on file name structure.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by MuxedIfIKnow View Post
    Could non adherence to a filename structure of 8.3 be causing the issue?
    It's easy enough to test. But I doubt that's a problem. The file system includes munged 8.3 file names for files with longer names. Ie, a long file name like ThisIsALongFilename.AVI will show up as THISIS~1.AVI to devices that can't handle long file names.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I remember reading recently someone stating that many dvd players play "mpeg4", (xvid), but will refuse to play divx for legal reasons. Baldrick suggested to download xvid4psp version 5 and I would also suggest this. You can download it from this site very simply, just click on the hyperlinked xvid4psp text that you see anywhere in this thread, and it will take you to the download section. (be sure to get version 5 newest beta that is highlighted).

You can encode into xvid with a avi/hardware player profile, that may very well work on your player. Handbrake is one of the top tools, the only one I like better is xvid4psp, and I would suggest you try this one out before anything else.
    Quote Quote  
  17. No I think I'll wimp out! I have discovered that I can output a RGB video signal from my old laptop (which I use as a video recorder) to the TV. So using the mighty VLC, and excellent Handbrake I can have the small file sizes on DVD+r discs and play them via my laptop to display on TV. Not perfect because I have no remote control over playback, and I have to have two devices running. But neatly avoids all finicky proprietary code in hardware players!

I don't fancy installing programs in general on windows machines. I kinda like to live by the mantra 'you're only one install away from a compromised OS'. Now where did put my last good drive image!?
    Quote Quote