VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a pair of wireless headsets which I've plugged into the back of my TV in the "Audio Out" RCA ports and the back of my transmitter as the manual instructed. The headsets get audio just fine, but I can't figure out how to get the TV to mute automatically when the headsets are on. When I mute the TV, I lose audio in the headset as well. What did I do wrong?
    Last edited by Vic 2.0; 31st Oct 2013 at 15:36.
    Quote Quote  
  2. That depends on the TV, you will have to look in the manual. Check the pages where they show you how to install the TV with a receiver, there should be options to deal with the TV speakers.

If your TV has a dedicated headphone jack, use that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, it sure sounds like the MUTE function on that TV is upstream of the audio outputs, and so works globally.

Let me guess, you want to use the wireless headset (getting audio from the Digital Audio out ports, aka Coaxial) with the TV's internal speakers turned off, right?

RTFM. What is your TV model#? I have a nice LG 47" 3DTV and a bargain basement "Sens" 23" HDTV and both setup menus clearly have an option to turn off the internal speakers separate from the external audio outputs.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have "RTFM"; I don't know why someone would just assume that I haven't. Can't find anything about it in there which is why I'm posting. It's an RCA LCD Flat Panel HDTV, Model # L40FHD41 and the standard headphone jack on the side doesn't give me audio on either TV or headset.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could it be that you meant "Analog Audio Out" RCA ports (line level white and red) instead of yellow for coax digital audio? I'm guessing that your wireless transmitter requires line level analog audio in.

It might be that plugging into the headphone jack automatically disconnects the TV speakers. In addition, it may be necessary to turn the TV volume way up to achieve line level into the transmitter from the headphone out. If so, be sure to turn the volume back down before you unplug from the headphone jack.
    Life is better when you focus on the signals instead of the noise.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by davideck View Post
    Could it be that you meant "Analog Audio Out" RCA ports (line level white and red) instead of yellow for coax digital audio?
    Yes, that's it. Sorry, the two labels just sort of ran together on the back there.

Originally Posted by davideck View Post
    I'm guessing that your wireless transmitter requires line level analog audio in.

It might be that plugging into the headphone jack automatically disconnects the TV speakers. In addition, it may be necessary to turn the TV volume way up to achieve line level into the transmitter from the headphone out. If so, be sure to turn the volume back down before you unplug from the headphone jack.
    Actually, this time it worked with the headset jack. I think I have a faulty cable or something. But I still can't figure out how to use the RCA connection I'm supposed to (according to the headset's manual).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    According to the MANUAL (which I just DL'd & read), the analog audio outs are "VARIABLE", meaning it adjusts along with the output of the TV. Mute the TV=Mute those outputs.

The true digital coax audio output bypasses that.

Don't know what advice to give you about the wireless headset, since I don't yet know that model#.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
    I still can't figure out how to use the RCA connection I'm supposed to (according to the headset's manual).
    RCA audio outputs usually don't have the ability to sense whether anything is plugged in or not. Some TVs have the ability to disable the internal speakers in their setup. But that's too much of a hassle to adjust every time you switch to/from headphones.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I understand. May just have to be happy with the standard headphone jack.

I have two headsets actually, the XP300 and XP400.
    Quote Quote