VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, its been a while since I've been here. Hope you are all well.

I have a problem that has started occurring only over the last few days.

I get stuttery playback of avi files. Whether they are dvd rip or Blue ray rips, the files play fine from an external drive but stutter when played back from my laptop's hard drive.
    My laptop is running Windows 8.

Can any wise member Videohelp me out?

Peace
    “He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.”
    Quote Quote  
  2. The basic info given would indicate a problem with the hard drive, or throughput.

Copy a problematic file from the hard drive to a different drive. Test. Report results.

Assuming it copies and plays fine, do a defrag and check for errors. If it does not, copy a new file to each drive from an independent third source. Repeat test and report procedure.

Assuming it is the hard drive listed in your profile, it is very old and likely dying. Prepare to replace, however in that box the expense is hard to justify.

Since it is extremely unlikely that the listed box is running Windows 8, then more information is required. Accurate information will lead to accurate answers.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm staying out of this because I have no familiarity with Win 8, but I do want to warn you that if your laptop hard drive is an SSD, you CANNOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES do a defrag of it. Well, the OS will hopefully warn you not to do it, but doing so anyway on an SSD may damage it or shorten its lifespan.

You should state what program(s) you are using to play AVI files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all thanks for the interest. The computer in question actually belongs to my mother.

I am using VLC to play files.
    “He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.”
    Quote Quote  
  5. Which version of VLC?

While VLC plays most everything I've ever thrown at it, it does occasionally balk and NOT play something that, say, GOMPlayer will. I have never determined what causes the misbehavior, since it seems so random.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have a "computer" as well. I have several. We'll let you guess what I have if you'll let us keep guessing which "computer" you're using. I have some "external drives", too. You'll have to guess about those as well.

You say you have a newer Windows, but your profile sez you have XP on a Celeron machine that appears to be a laptop. You'll get better advice if you give us more information.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 07:00.
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Run chkdsk upon the internal HDD.

If it detects some bad sectors, then it's time to start thinking about a replacement.
    Quote Quote  
  8. With the wealth of additional supplied information, I can quite confidently state my analysis:

There is something wrong.

Maybe the OP can get his Mommy to make any future posts and we might get something useful accomplished.
    Quote Quote