VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, dear all.

Sometimes I get some subtitles and it doesn't informed the exact frame from them.

Are there any way /program to discover the real frame rate from subtitles, despite the information from it included or not?

It's useful to discover the original and exact frame rate from subtitles because knowing that I can syncing more easily with my video material.

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 30th Oct 2013 at 12:15.
    Quote Quote  
  2. AFAIK no, when you look at the parameters of subtiltes they only specify a position in time and a duration, both of which have no direct link to frame rate.
    Quote Quote  
  3. As above .. srt/ssa/ass are not frame based. If they are out of sync try Subtitle Edit to sync them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hello, I'm first trying Subtitle Edit to sync a .srt subtitle into a .mkv file. I corrected the timing for the first line, but as the software warned me now the 1st and 2nd line overlap. Is there a way to apply the desired sync to all the lines? If not I'll do it manually, it's for my mom and she won't understand anything unless I sync the subtitles. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Cristina Borello View Post
    Hello, I'm first trying Subtitle Edit to sync a .srt subtitle into a .mkv file. I corrected the timing for the first line, but as the software warned me now the 1st and 2nd line overlap. Is there a way to apply the desired sync to all the lines? If not I'll do it manually, it's for my mom and she won't understand anything unless I sync the subtitles. Thanks!

It might be easier to download the matching subs from a subtitle site

Not sure about subtitle edit, but in aegisub you can shift all the entries by some specified time period (Timing=>Shift Times)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi, thanks for your hel! The subs I got seem to be the one and only out there for spanish. I'll try the software you suggest.
    Quote Quote  
  7. In Subtitle Edit you can change the time for all subtitles (Synchronization -> Adjust All Lines) with a certain amount or by (Synchronization -> Visual sync) fixing the first and last subtitle adjusting time for all. (You may also mark a rang a subtitles and perfom the same tasks)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Allright I'll try it videoburger, let you know in couple o' minutes
    Quote Quote  
  9. It's getting a little better with Subtitle Edit, but it's gonna take ages. Nevermind, I'm determined to do it!. Before I go on, does anyone know if the edited sub and the mkv will be good for creating a dvd with AVStoDVD and burning in dvd with imgburn? Otherwise my effort will be usless. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. but it's gonna take ages
    Normally it takes a couple of minutes all in all

(Also if you have subtitle in another language that fits the movie you can use the times from that in your .srt)
    Quote Quote  
  11. It has eng subtitle which run OK, but it is within the mkv, not a diff. file. Can I use it the way you mention? Thanks again.
    Last edited by Cristina Borello; 1st Dec 2013 at 17:38. Reason: wrong verbs
    Quote Quote  
  12. videobruger, since the eng sub run OK Is there anyway/software for me to type spanish subt as I read the english onewhile playing the movie on bs player or any other player? Perhaps it will be easy because the spanish subtitles I got are rather bad. This way my translation my serve others.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Your MKV can hold different formats of subtitle.

You can use SubTitle Edit
    File -> Import subtitle from Matroska file
    Auto-Translate -> Translate

and translate your english subs to spanish.

This is Google which probably give you half the subs to use directly and the other half you'll need to edit. And your timing should fit. Then have your video shown (Ctrl+Q) and play it (tick the check box Select current sub while playing) and you will have two coulums: spanish and english

PS If your subs are image based you'll need OCR
    Last edited by videobruger; 1st Dec 2013 at 18:11. Reason: PS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Videbruger, done the first part:

File -> Import subtitle from Matroska file
    Auto-Translate -> Translate

But then I play the mkv on bs palyer and only the eng sub show up as option. Is it the player? I didn't see any file for the google translated into spa sub. The new sub are incorporated into the mkv?

Thanks buddy you're a genius.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Another problem is that the mkv file has russian audio track an that's the audio that Subtitle Editor plays when I Ctrl + Qit to play it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Gee, videbruger! Isn't it nice when things work? I' correcting the google translations as I watch the movie on bs. (Subtitle Editor plays the russian audio!) How do I save the corrections when I finish?

God bless ya!
    Quote Quote  
  17. How do I save the corrections when I finish?
    File -> Save as

If you want your spanish subs in the MKV file use MKVMergeGUI to mux them in. You may also get rid of the russian audio at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
  18. videobruger, I saved OK. I was going to ask you about hot to get rid of the russian audio, but I think I'll do it when I author it to dvd with AVStoDVD. When I resumed work on the translation I couldn't get Edit Sub to show me the eng subtitle next to the spanish one. I think I'd have to import from Matroska again as you told me but wouldn't that undo the changes I made to the google translation?

Today I've been working only with the google translation, fixing it while watching the movie. It's a bit harder than with the two columns but it works perfectly.

I know it's no secret but google trans sucks. After all english and spanish are not THAT different. Imagine if it was japanese or polish.

Thanks for our help!
    Quote Quote  
  19. It's a bit harder than with the two columns
    Open your MKV and save the english subtitles - no translation.
    Open your spanish subtitles and then File -> Open original subtile - selecting the english one - and you should be back to two coloumns. And now Subtitle Edit automatically will load both subtitles when you open the spanish one.
    Quote Quote