VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there any way to trick the Elgato Game Capture into letting you use two mics at one time (specifically, two Turtle Beach headsets: an XP300 and an XP400)? At one point I thought you could get the Xbox 360 to output your voices as you talked into the mics (which would naturally mean the Elgato would record all of it), but that was probably wishful thinking. Couldn't possibly be that easy... right?

So what about combining either two Bluetooth signals into one source on the computer, or physically running the headsets' output (with wires) through a splitter and into the mic jack on the PC so the Elgato would pick that up?

Am I aiming too high?

(Also, if your computer is capable of picking up Bluetooth signals, the Elgato can use at least one of these mics, right?)
    Quote Quote  
  2. For normal microphones you could use a mic mixer. But I don't think you can use one with those headsets since they appear to communicate entirely by bluetooth.
    Last edited by jagabo; 28th Oct 2013 at 18:23.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    For normal microphones you could use a mic mixer. But I don't think you can use one with those headsets since they appear to communicate entirely by bluetooth.
    Well I found this video which shows how to connect the mic with wires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1s-VTZupiA

It gives me at least some hope that I can add to this setup a Y-splitter cable that might enable both mics to be counted as one source by the Elgato Game Capture.

Or would I still have to buy a mic mixer (which is probably hella expensive)?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, since the headsets appear to have mic outputs you can probably use a Y adapter to mix them before the Game Capture input. Or, instead of mixing them to a mono signal you can send one mic to the left channel, the other to the right channel.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Or, instead of mixing them to a mono signal you can send one mic to the left channel, the other to the right channel.
    How would I go about doing that, though? (Note: This isn't that big a deal to me, either way; I'm just curious.)
    Quote Quote  
  6. A stereo to dual mono adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/STEREO-3-5mm-PHONE-1-TIP-1-RING/dp/B000068O5E/

Oh, that one's 1/4" at the mono side, you need 3.5 or 2.5mm. Or you could add a pair of 1/4" to 2.5mm adapters.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ah. But is it worth all that effort, or would just using a Y-splitter cable work? Kinda on a budget here!
    Quote Quote  
  8. You know what, it looks like it would actually cost less than what I was going to do! So assuming it at least has the same chances of working as the Y-Splitter, I should try it your way instead, definitely. I hope if there's anyone who knows of a reason this wouldn't work, or knows an even better way, they speak now or forever hold their peace! Lol

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
    So assuming it at least has the same chances of working as the Y-Splitter
    I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. Make sure your computer's mic input in a 3.5mm stereo pin-plug jack (almost all are). Make sure the cables are long enough. And remember you need two cables and two RCA/3.5mm adapters (one for each cable).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Check, check, and check! Ermm, but now I have another question. I just found out that we won't be able to actually hear each other while listening to separate headsets on the same console, without using wires. Turtle Beach actually sent me emails telling me it was IMPOSSIBLE (didn't bother thinking of suggestions). But I took the logic that we've been using to try and make Elgato recognize both mics and applied it to the following setup the best I could:

Simply put, each headset comes with its own transmitter, and each transmitter has an Aux In port in the back (which I've confirmed to be 3.5mm jacks) which people usually use to plug in their mp3 players and such so they can listen to music while they're gaming. It's supposed to mix the game's audio with whatever they've plugged into the Auxillary In port.

Well, by now, you know where I'm going with this. Would I be able to branch off of the setup we just talked about (by buying the necessary cables/adapters) and plug my mic into my friend's transmitter and vice versa? It's unfortunate, of course, that I have to go through all this. But I wanted the headsets for their features and functions apart from these capabilities. What do you think about this idea?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Microphone output levels are usually far below line level (the aux input on the headsets) so that probably won't work. But it's worth a try. All you need is a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable for testing. Even if it does work, splitting the mic output from one headset to both the computer and the other headset's aux input will reduce the sound level. But that may be acceptable. The right way to do it would be to use microphone preamps, or a full preamp/mixer. Or just yell louder!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Microphone output levels are usually far below line level (the aux input on the headsets) so that probably won't work. But it's worth a try. All you need is a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable for testing. Even if it does work, splitting the mic output from one headset to both the computer and the other headset's aux input will reduce the sound level. But that may be acceptable. The right way to do it would be to use microphone preamps, or a full preamp/mixer. Or just yell louder!
    Darn. Where and how would I have to wire this preamp in, if it's needed (and when I can afford one)?

I think the XP400 has a separate control for mic volume vs. game volume, as does the Elgato, but the XP300 doesn't. So even in the unlikely event that this worked to get sounds where I wanted them, it may still be impossible to correct the low mic to high game volume issue.

Well, the other setup I had in mind was insanely complicated, which is why I didn't mention it first:

Since the Elgato carries video and audio from the console through its device to the PC and TV, and since all this is traveling into the device via an RCA (red, white, and yellow) to A/V cable, I thought it might be possible to connect the microphones before it even reaches the Elgato device. In theory, this would make it so both the TV and the PC capture both our voices at once. Now I know this is ridiculous, before you even start laughing at me! Lol, but I'd like to know why it's ridiculous, so here goes. What if I took the red and white male RCA plugs and

1. Connected one of these to each, converting them to 3.5mm's.
    2. Gave each of the new 3.5mm connections this splitter, which I would then plug my mic cables into.
    3. Converted the 3.5mm connections back to RCAs with two of these.
    4. And then finally plugged these into the two red and white ends of the cable that goes into the device.

I won't even ask if this'll work, just "Why not?" for my own education!
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm sorry, I guess I just don't understand electronics at all. I would've thought that if a little rinky dink mp3 player (also with a 3.5mm cable) could send its signal through the transmitter to the headset, a microphone traveling through the same cable would be able to do it just as well. It's really hard to wrap my head around that.

I will get a preamp (looks like I'd need a dual microphone preamp for this idea?) if I absolutely have to. But that'd be something I'd have to wait on, most likely. I found some ridiculously expensive ones and some ridiculously cheap ones. Nothing I feel I can both trust and afford!
    Quote Quote  
  14. So you're proposing taking RCA audio output from the xbox 360, mixing it with the mic output from the headsets using the y adpaters, then sending the mix to the Game Capture's audio inputs? You'll have the same problem with the levels -- the mic signals will be at a much lower level than the xbox 360's line level output. Unless the mic output from the headsets is already at line level. Even if the mics are at line level you won't have any control over the relative volume of the two sources.
    Quote Quote  
  15. You could use this to mix two mics down to one mic output (to the computer):
    http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-MICROMIX-MX400-4-Channel-Mixer/dp/B000KGYAYQ/

Or this to mix two mics and the stereo output of the xbox 360:
    http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-802-Premium-8-Input-Preamps/dp/B000J5XS3C/
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You could use this to mix two mics down to one mic output (to the computer):
    But try what you suggested in post #8 first, right?

Well either way, this will be less satisfactory than the newer idea, because I'm wanting to get mic audio to the TV as well, because that's where the cables going to the transmitters will be connected (I wanted us to be able to hear each other's voices in both headsets).

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Not super expensive, really. And I could plug two mics (possibly even more?) and the red and white RCA plugs to this?

You've been an enormous help, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Vic 2.0; 29th Oct 2013 at 23:00.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
    You could use this to mix two mics down to one mic output (to the computer):
    But try what you suggested in post #8 first, right?
    Post #8 is probably the cheapest route. I'm not sure where the TV is wired into this setup. But you may not hear the voice on the TV. And you may not hear each other.

Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
    Well either way, this will be less satisfactory than the newer idea, because I'm wanting to get mic audio to the TV as well, because that's where the cables going to the transmitters will be connected (I wanted us to be able to hear each other's voices in both headsets).
    You might have to worry about feedback if you have the mic ouput going to the TV.

Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
    Not super expensive, really. And I could plug two mics (possibly even more?) and the red and white RCA plugs to this?
    I'm pretty sure that will do everything you want. I don't know if the 1/4 inputs in the mic section are line level or mic level. You might need 3.5mm to XLR adapters.
    http://www.amazon.com/Campro-Stereo-3-5mm-Female-Adaptor/dp/B00CODJFIE/
    See if you can find the manual online.

By the way, mixing line level signals with the mic signals with Y adapters could potentially damage the mics because the line level signal feeds into the mic as well as the other output.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Would this one work? It has mic jacks in the front, 2 sets of inputs, and a power switch...

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-P2001AT-2000W-Hybrid-Amplifier/dp/B0010KCP5C/ref=sr_1_132?i...ual+mic+preamp
    Quote Quote  
  19. Yes, it looks like that should work.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Okay, here are some seemingly better alternatives. The first one you mentioned got good reviews but apparently gets pretty warm to the touch and doesn't have a power switch. The one I found had neither of those cons but got some disturbing reviews on Amazon (so Idk).

This is the main one I have my eye on, if the single mic input isn't going to be a problem (for plugging two mics in).

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PR2500-SEA2500-Professional-Pre-Amplifier/dp/B0007V43M8/...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I was looking at this one, but couldn't verify what sort of inputs it had (even did a Google Images search to find a photo of the back with no success).

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Acoustik-PWM-19-Equalizer-Subwoofer/dp/B0002BFKC0/ref=sr_1...s=preamplifier

Also, I would like to confirm that, for those preamps with just one XLR input or just one 3.5mm jack, I could:

1. Use a Y-splitter to send two 3.5mm signals in through the XLR adapter you suggested.
    2. Use a Y-splitter to send two 3.5mm signals in through the 3.5 mm jack.

I know this would mean I couldn't control the volumes for each mic separately on the preamp if I did it this way, but the volumes can be altered on the headsets so that shouldn't be too big a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  21. The first one will work but you will have to use a y adapter to mix the two mics together. You won't be able to adjust the relative mic levels if they're different. That could be an issue with the single XLR mixers too.

The second device is a line level equalizer and has no mic input.

Maybe a cheap karaoke mixer?
    http://www.amazon.com/Azusa-MIK0115-Karaoke-Mixer-Microphones/dp/B0032CMSDK/
    Not sure what those mic inputs are though. They appear to be 3.5 or 2.5 mm mono plugs (google image search). Or maybe 1/4". The rear has stereo RCA in and out and a mix pot.

Or this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Karaoke-Mixer-Microphone-Stereo-Output/dp/B00DKDG9RW/
    Last edited by jagabo; 30th Oct 2013 at 11:28.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm noticing some things I should have noticed earlier, in an earlier post...

You might have to worry about feedback if you have the mic ouput going to the TV.
    My plan is to use the karaoke mixer to mix both mics in with the audio output coming from my Xbox 360. Then, it would all be sent into the Elgato device, which would send it to both the TV and the PC separately (but it should be the same exact audio). I can mute the TV while these mics are on (naturally, because that would mean my friend and I are using the headsets). But I'm wanting the TV to send the audio to our headsets, in any case.

The XP300's transmitter would be connected to two RCA Audio Out (red and white) ports already on the back of the TV.

The XP400's transmitter requires a fiber optic cable (for surround sound in the headsets). It's currently running straight from the Xbox 360 to my transmitter. But I was hoping to run it through the setup we're talking about into the TV, out through a Coaxial "Digital Audio Out" port already on the back of the TV, and through this setup:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002J2B7E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AVM1Z79WGIB6T
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002J2MV4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AXMULCMJHR05A

and then of course into the transmitter. Now, what problems am I looking at? Lol

Also, regarding this comment...

I'm pretty sure that will do everything you want. I don't know if the 1/4 inputs in the mic section are line level or mic level. You might need 3.5mm to XLR adapters.
    Were you saying there was a chance that using 3.5mm to 1/4" adapters on that preamp wouldn't have been sufficient? Because it turns out the mic inputs on this karaoke mixer we're looking at are 1/4". Is this going to be risky? I mean, I found some 3.5mm female to 1/4" male adapters. But is it still going to be a gamble?
    Quote Quote  
  23. What about this...

I connect the two mics to the computer the original way we talked about, running both into a Y-splitter and then directly into the computer. That takes care of the recording. But the cables I use are Y-splitter cables themselves. I send them to a mixer as well but do not plug anything else into them and do not plug them or the mixer's output into the TV. But I do take the output from the mixer and send that into the transmitters for each headset. They both have Aux In ports (that work with 3.5mm mp3 player cables) so I should be able to plug the (now presumably line level?) source into each of them.

Would this work? Are we at least getting closer? Hehe
    Quote Quote  
  24. This is getting too confusing. I suggest you get some cables and adapters and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Haha, well thanks for your help anyway. Can you just answer one quick question for me before you go:

Would muting my TV do anything to prevent feedback if I were to run the mics (through a mixer) into it?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
    Would muting my TV do anything to prevent feedback if I were to run the mics (through a mixer) into it?
    Yes. Feedback occurs when sound from the speakers feeds back into the mic, which then goes to the speakers, and then back to the mic, etc. If there are no speakers there's no feedback.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Okay, update:

I've received everything in the mail now and hooked it up. Everything actually worked really well... for a while. I bought the mixer and cables/adapters, etc., plugged the two mic cables into the mixer, game audio into the mixer's input ports, and connected the transmitters into the output ports using a Y-splitter cable. The problem is, for some weird reason, I get a beeping sound (that usually indicates the mic has been muted/unplugged) randomly when I try to use the controller.

That's right! It's not beeping once a minute or every two minutes, but randomly (much more often) when I press buttons on my controller. How on earth is this affecting the microphones? Or does anyone have any suggestion as to what else the beeping might mean?

Note: My controllers are wireless also, but I connected one with a cord that came with a Charge and Play station and it still had the same effect.
    Quote Quote