VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have looked on this forum and there is so much info but can't find the answer to my problem.

I have acquired a bunch of .mkv files that I want to burn to a Blu-ray disk. I used tsMuxeR to make Blu-ray files and IngBurn to burn to Blu-ray disks. After burning the Blu-ray disks the aspect ratio changed. I looked a the .mkv file and it is 1280 x 536. When I played the Blu-ray disk with my Blu-ray player the picture is not in the correct ratio. Everything is too tall and thin. I have tried all the adjustments in the Blu-ray player and the TV but nothing helps. The screen on the 16 x 9 TV is completely filled out (no black bars). I played the original .mkv file on my laptop and it's OK.I played the Blu-ray files after tsMuxeR and they are OK. I must be missing a setting in ImgBurn but I don't know. As you can tell I very new to all this and help would be greatly appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. You're not really missing a setting, but the video has to be in proper blu-ray format. So HD blu-ray compatible video has to be a strict 1280x720 (720p) or 1920x1080 (1080i/p).

The reason that your 1280x536 video looks stretched, is that tsMuxer is probably stretching it to be 1280x720, which is Blu-ray compliant.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Which means you have to add the pillarboxing yourself, maybe 92 above and 92 below. Surely tsMuxer can do that for you?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=manono;2277094]Which means you have to add the pillarboxing yourself, maybe 92 above and 92 below. Surely tsMuxer can do that for you?[/QU

I looked at the setting in tsMuxer and don't see anything about pillarboxing. Do I miss something? Do I need a different program that has pillarboxing? What is pillarboxing? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sdihome View Post
    Do I miss something?
    I don't know as I don't use it for that. I suppose you'll have to use uncropMKV first to bring it back to 1280x720 before then running it through tsMuxer.

What is pillarboxing?
    The black bars it'll need added above and below before you can make a Blu-Ray with correct aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MindController View Post

The reason that your 1280x536 video looks stretched, is that tsMuxer is probably stretching it to be 1280x720, which is Blu-ray compliant.
    Just to clarify it tsmuxer doesn't stretch the video,it just makes a non compliant blu-ray/avchd structure that the blu-ray player will display as 1280x720 and doing so the player stretches the video.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does your BR player Support mkv file playback? You could also try BDtoAVCHD,it will add the required black bars and will produce a BD file structure ready to burn.
    Last edited by wulf109; 27th Oct 2013 at 22:16.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all for the help!

I checked my Blu-ray player and it will play flv files.

This is what I think I should be doing (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Based on the size of the file, I should be using the type of disk (DVD-4.7GB, DVD DL-8.5GB, BD-35GB, BD DL-50GB) that has the capacity of the file I want to burn. For example: I would burn a 5.3GB flv file on a DVD-R DL because it can hold 8.5GM and not convert the flv to a blu-ray file because there is no advantage (better picture).

One question, if I have say a 33GB flv file, do I have to convert it to Blu-ray to be able to burn it on a Blu-ray disk or can I just burn the flv file as is on the Blu-ray disk?

Thanks again for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  9. First, You haven't addressed the aspect ratio issue yet.
    Second, how did you check your BR player, by testing an flv or looking at the manual?
    Third, If the flv plays without authoring, the choice of media is arbitrary.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How did an mkv playback issue become an flv issue? If your player plays flv's it's a sure bet it will play mkv's.
    Quote Quote