VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there a video editing program out there that allows for custom resolutions and bitrates?

I want to edit some old digital videos (early to late 90's mostly) who have different resolutions and bitrates. I need a video edit program that will allow for each individual video to be edited (cutting parts out of the video like bad takes and such) with the same resolution and bitrate intact in order to avoid messing up the aspect or getting a huge filesize due to a large bitrate when the video had a much smaller bitrate.
    Search PM
    Yes, many are. But the problem comes when choosing which codec to use, as some codecs require/allow only certain size combinations (the math that facilitates the efficiency in their compression must use block size multiples of 4, or 8, or 16, etc).

Also, there are STANDARDS, and they are there for a reason: to make it easier to view on common equipment. If you deviate from those standards, you set yourself up for difficulty in your efforts at playback (particularly on hardware/settop devices).

Much easier to use the standard size templates and just resize your video(s) to match. Yes, some quality may be lost, but not much more than the loss that you're going to encounter anyway since your are editing, processing & re-encoding.

If you don't want to "balloon" your filesize and want to maintain the same codec, use an editor that supports "Direct Stream Copy" and/or "Smart Rendering". Those are usually only available for CERTAIN codecs and when doing only CERTAIN basic kinds of processes (I-frame cuts being the main one).

Scott
    Quote Quote