VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Just curious if anyone has had luck changing the volume when using TEncoder? I'm trying to add subtitles to MKV files and save them as .avi files (the volume is very low when converting them to .avi) . I found by searching the Internet (TEncoder doesn't have a help file or any documentation) this, talking about TEncoder:

"-af volnorm=2:1.0" should cause mencoder to try to
    adjust the volume on *all* files you encode to 100% of the loudest
    possible sound allowable by the sound format you're encoding to. "

When I try to put "-af volnorm=2:1.0" into the MEncoder Audio arguments, the program asks me if I'm sure I want to change them and when I click yes, the arguments disappear from the box and after encoding, the volume hasn't changed. Thinking it might be a sytax issue, I've tried every combination of single quotes, double quotes, no quotes, etc.

Has anyone else been through this? If I could solve the volume issue, TEncoder would be the perfect program for my needs. I say that after looking at about 15 other conversion programs in the past couple of days. All I really need is to 1) convert video files to .avi, 2) add subtitles and 3) be able to adjust the volume when necessary. Any help or suggestions will be apreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, TEncoder has its own support thread in this forum: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/340150-TEncoder-3-6-0-Multithreaded-GUI-for-FFMpeg-...port-thread%29

Using 3.6 64bit portable version I managed to do what you want. But there is a bug in TEncoder and because of that bug you should place a space before custom arguments. And there is no need for ",' or any other symbol. Here is the configuration that works for me:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/00QwCkY.png
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I've now tried different MEncoder args with the leading space, and I can't get the volume to change. It seems a bit strange that after clicking on "Reset" and confirming, the space where I just typed in the args is blank.

I'm using version 3.6.0 x64 portable on Win7 x64, trying to save a .mkv file to .avi using xvid . If you would like, I can email you a log file or even the small test files I'm using. Or I can start a new reply to the other support thread you mentioned. Let me know. I would really like to get the change volume issue solved.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You shoulndt hit "reset", it will, well, reset values. Just close the window after entering arguments.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, it works now. Thank you for your help.

Could I suggest changing the Close button caption to 'OK'? It might be more intuitive that way.

By the way, if you set the Args, close the program and then reopen it, the Args that you typed in are still there but they're now missing the leading space. JFYI. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, changed it to "OK".
    BTW I remembered something. Audio and video options are added to the end of command chain so they should have a space before them (for mencoder), they are for codecs. So you should write your input to "Mencoder" text box, this way there won't be a space problem.
    Quote Quote