VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Well, plasma accounted for less than 6% of TVs shipped in 2012. Which doesn't bode well.

As to Panasonic specifically, they're bleeding red ink from their TV division and seem to be pulling out of TV production entirely. They've been outsourcing their LED/LCD panels for some time now. That strategy has never worked for any maker apart from Vizio, AFAIK.

It seems to me that the answer depends on whether plasma production is still profitable for LG and Samsung, the remaining major plasma makers. Samsung just this model year introduced the very well-thought-of F8500, which, although its black levels are *not quite* on par with the Panasonic VT/ZT60 models, has brightness levels approaching LED sets, a plasma first.

My guess is that R&D will cease, or continue at a very low level, and Samsung will continue to make plasmas for that niche market, for a few more years at least.

I can't help noting that over at the AVS forum are several threads active in which the plasma fans are going nuts. Predictably, the old argument over the Pioneer Kuro started up again, and at least one admin warning has resulted. Also predictably, the general buying public is getting excoriated for being morons.

One poster ventured to say that LED/LCDs might be okay for casual viewing. I'm guessing by that he means in a lighted room. Hint: the general public evidently doesn't buy TVs primarily for performance in a darkened home theater.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 12th Oct 2013 at 04:04.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i mourned when they stopped making sony xbr tube tvs and i'll be wearing black again when samsung stops plasma production.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. The Samsung F8500 is a very fine TV. It actually beat the Panasonic ZT60 at the big shootout for industry professionals sponsored by VE (Value Electronics) earlier this year. The difference in black level is so close as to require fine measurements with expensive calibration tools. Importantly, it can compete with LED/LCD in a well-lit room.

I almost got one this Spring. The fact that I'd use it extensively as a monitor (image retention) deterred me some, as well as the price. So I got a steeply discounted Sharp 70" (a decent enough LED) floor model instead as a stop-gap while waiting to see what happens with OLED. I may have to re-consider if Samsung stops production as well.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a VT60 a few months ago after comparing it side by side with the F8500. Of course it wasn't under optimum conditions (show room/not calibrated). Out of the box performance easily went to the VT60 'to my eyes'. It just looked more natural and pleasing. Most of my TV and movie watching are at night anyways. To me it is bright enough for daytime viewing, and some. No problems watching football on Sundays at all. If it is a little too bright outside, I can draw the curtains a bit. If I wanted to cauterize my eyes, I'd have gone with an LED, but the picture just looks too artificial. Whatever looks best to your eyes is what I would go for. For me, it's plasma. I do hope that OLED/4k technology comes down in price substantially quickly, and that they do away with those ridiculous curved screens.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by louv68 View Post
    LED, but the picture just looks too artificial.
    With the stupid DNR, frame interpolation, and other features turned off?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Originally Posted by louv68 View Post
    LED, but the picture just looks too artificial.
    With the stupid DNR, frame interpolation, and other features turned off?
    It most definitely helps, but still does not compare to plasma, "in my honest opinion". What looks good to me may look like crap to you, and vice versa. I believe larger screens give off a more pronounced "artificial look' in LCD/LEDs. I will however have to say that my girlfriends barebones 32" Samsung 60hz LED looks very, very nice, but then again it is not a large screen.

My VT60 had some motion enhancements on by default that I turned off, as it was producing some really fakey 'soap opera' motion. It looks fantastic now, but again, to my eyes. My girlfriend actually preferred the overly smooth motion. Go figure! Not everyone's brain perceives things the same way, so if LCD/LED looks good to you, that is all that matters.

Would I ever consider buying a LCD/LED? Yes, for a secondary TV and also if I was a gamer 'worried' about IR. I would also opt for a non-smart TV without all the gimmicky features that I would likely end up turning off anyways. Those so called features really add to the price.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have a 7 year old panasonic plasma still going strong

still looks better than my new samsung leds but its heavy as hell
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by louv68
    I would also opt for a non-smart TV without all the gimmicky features that I would likely end up turning off anyways.
    I do understand that sentiment. Since I have a 360 and ps3 those would be superfluous to me anyway, except that I have both consoles in the same room. That's why I got a bluray player with vudu/youtube etc for a different room.

Originally Posted by louv68
    Those so called features really add to the price.
    That certainly is true.

That's why its cheaper to either get a smart bluray player or if you don't need the disc player or don't want one for that particular tv you would be best to get a wdtv live or other streaming capable box.

That I will say is one reason to get a stripped down bare bones streaming box if you don't use file playback on a secondary tv. If it's mainly for netflix/hulu/vudu/youtube than you really don't need h264 playback.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  11. There is a 2010 model 50" Panasonic plasma in the den here. Never a problem with brightness and the room is west facing (tons of sun in the afternoon). A friend has a brand new high end Sony LED TV and there are still offset viewing angle issues with them and the blacks still aren't as good as a plasma (emission displays will always have that advantage over backlit ones). The only area the technology was lacking with in power consumption and size. I never got the obsession over those ultra thin TVs as they are usually sitting on stands anyway.

One can only hope that OLED matures and becomes affordable. Like plasma, it has the deep blacks and no viewing angle problems.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by louv68 View Post
    Would I ever consider buying a LCD/LED? Yes, for a secondary TV and also if I was a gamer 'worried' about IR.
    IPS technology LCD panels have problems with image persistence.
    Quote Quote