VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    it works fine in the PC, but when I tried on both of the devices I mentioned, it didn't show up and said it is a video of unsupported format, but the user manual says that the device supports wmv file. I have tried to research the problem, then came to conclusion that the video codec was the reason it won't play even though the file extension is wmv. Please correct me if I am wrong, how do I know what is the video codec because I cannot see it in the properties, how can I alter it so that it is compatible, and also what are your suggestions so that it play on both device? Please help, I am complete beginner
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Install MediaInfo on your PC. Open the video with it. Post the results here.

It is possible that your problem is that your players do not expect WMV to be on CD media and you must use DVD. You might try just copying the file to DVD and see if that fixes the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

It is possible that your problem is that your players do not expect WMV to be on CD media and you must use DVD. You might try just copying the file to DVD and see if that fixes the problem.
    I tried taking a new DVD ROM and tried burning into it and it said it could not because of format problem. I will try mediainfo also thank you. I have been downloading video converters and they only gave me virus and couldn't even upload.
    Last edited by Taffss; 4th Oct 2013 at 14:03.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Blame it on the Microsoft PR Department for their confusing terminology:

WMV = an ASF file that contains Windows Media Video (then go back to the beginning...)

There are THREE types of WMV: version 1 = 7, version 2 = 8, and version 3 = 9. Some devices (very uncommon, I suppose) can play any kind of WMV, whereas other devices support either WMV1+WMV2 or WMV3 only
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 4th Oct 2013 at 13:58. Reason: grammar :-/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Blame it on the Microsoft PR Department for their confusing terminology:

WMV = an ASF file that contains Windows Media Video (then go back to the beginning...)

There are THREE types of WMV: version 1 = 7, version 2 = 8, and version 3 = 9. Some devices (very uncommon, I suppose) can play any kind of WMV, whereas other devices support either WMV1+WMV2 or WMV3 only
    I don't even have a clue what an ASF file is. So basically there's no solution at all?
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Taffss View Post
    So basically there's no solution at all?
    jman98 said:

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    So basically there's no solution at all?
    jman98 said:

Here in the attachment is the detail of one of the videos.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sample.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	20338  

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

Please see the attachment
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sample.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	20339  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sample2.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	20340  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do either of those devices support wmv videos? Likely not (as they don't work). You need to determine what, if any, video formats those devices support and then convert your CD to that format.

With the exception of computers, you can't simply add codecs to standalone hardware. You have to convert to a format that is supported.

If the device in question supports wmv, then El Heggunte response could apply.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Those Mediainfo shots say you have a WMV2 file.
    I've read elsewhere
    ( Google IS NOT your friend, and you have to learn how to torture it )

that apparently your Asus hardware supports only WMV3.
    So you first should test your Asus and confirm that it actually supports WMV3 (both Main Profile and Advanced Profile, this latter being also known as VC-1).
    If it does, and assuming you think it'll be worth the effort, you can convert your WMV2 files to WMV3 ones.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 4th Oct 2013 at 17:09. Reason: disambiguation
    Quote Quote  
  11. In fact, the manual page the OP posted shows the O!Play only supports "MPEG1/2/4, H.264, VC-1, RM/RMVB". So WMV2 is out.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Those Mediainfo shots say you have a WMV2 file.
    I've read elsewhere
    ( Google IS NOT your friend, and you have to learn how to torture it )

that apparently your Asus hardware supports only WMV3.
    So you first should test your Asus and confirm that it actually supports WMV3 (both Main Profile and Advanced Profile, this latter being also known as VC-1).
    If it does, and assuming you think it'll be worth the effort, you can convert your WMV2 files to WMV3 ones.
    How is it possible to convert WMV2 to WMV3? Sorry I am complete noob, I might try uploading it to youtube and downloading it to a different form
    Quote Quote  
  13. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM

How is it possible to convert WMV2 to WMV3? Sorry I am complete noob, I might try uploading it to youtube and downloading it to a different form
    To be honest, when I wrote that answer, I hadn't paid much attention to the image below,

and when I did, I was too lazy for updating my post accordingly

I mean, you have to convert the WMV2 file, but you don't have to choose WMV3
    You may use H.264 in MKV or MP4, or Xvid in AVI, for example.

Anyway, I recommend you start a brand-new thread for the brand-new subject,
    and beware,
    if you intend to remain a nooby newbie "forever", then my answers may sound quite "unfriendly" to you
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM

To be honest, when I wrote that answer, I hadn't paid much attention to the image below,

and when I did, I was too lazy for updating my post accordingly

I mean, you have to convert the WMV2 file, but you don't have to choose WMV3
    You may use H.264 in MKV or MP4, or Xvid in AVI, for example.

Anyway, I recommend you start a brand-new thread for the brand-new subject,
    and beware,
    if you intend to remain a nooby newbie "forever", then my answers may sound quite "unfriendly" to you
    I am really a newbie, I am just a 19 year old trying to figure out a way to watch a video on that player. Big thanks to you and the people here who replied to this thread and tried to help. I'll do all what you say
    Quote Quote  
  15. Forget WMV. Use h.264 (x264) in MKV. Use Handbrake. Select Source -> Open File to open your WMV file. Select MKV as the container. Select the Normal preset. Go to the Video tab and select Constant Frame rate. Make sure Video Codec is set to H.264 (x264). Set the Distination to the folder/file you want for the output. Press Start.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Forget WMV. Use h.264 (x264) in MKV. Use Handbrake. Select Source -> Open File to open your WMV file. Select MKV as the container. Select the Normal preset. Go to the Video tab and select Constant Frame rate. Make sure Video Codec is set to H.264 (x264). Set the Distination to the folder/file you want for the output. Press Start.
    Where can I go opt for the normal preset?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Forget WMV. Use h.264 (x264) in MKV. Use Handbrake. Select Source -> Open File to open your WMV file. Select MKV as the container. Select the Normal preset. Go to the Video tab and select Constant Frame rate. Make sure Video Codec is set to H.264 (x264). Set the Distination to the folder/file you want for the output. Press Start.
    It says I have to scan first, how do you scan it? the title, angle and duration are empty
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    When I scanned it, it doesn't show up the duration and title. But the other videos I am not interested and have no problem are working if I scan it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    HAHAHA I uploaded to youtube and re-download, it worked now
    Quote Quote  
  20. Yes, but it's a very poor quality conversion. And you have no control over it.
    Quote Quote