VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK so im new here but was hoping to get some help on this problem. So what is happening is if I do a restart or just simple shut the pc down and try to turn it back on the pc will not turn on. the case lights will turn on and u can here the hard drive spinning but it wont have any kinda of out put. My first thought was that it may need a bigger power supply so I went out and got a 800w (which was all I could get ahold of at the time). This didn't seem to make a dif. Now if u wait about 5 min or so it will fire right back up like nothing ever happened.

Any help would be much appreiciated. TYVM for just reading this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You're saying if you select RESTART on the Shut Down menu, the PC powers off and stays off?

It does the EXACT SAME THING as selecting SHUTDOWN???

How long has it been running when this happens, have you tried leaving it off for an hour or more, powering on, then immediately trying a shutdown?

Brand name of the PC and how old is it?

Also try boot into the BIOS, power off with the manual switch, then power back on.

Does a momentary press of the power button while in Windows commence the shut down process? If so, what is behavior when trying to turn it back on
    ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. How long have you had that PC and has it been doing that since you got it? I can think of a few things that could cause that and it would be easy to go off on a tangent. The easiest thing to try is go in the BIOS and Load Optimal Default settings (are you overclocking it?). You may also have compatibility issues with that Nvidia card (probably not a good choice for an AMD chipset). A BIOS update is the only way to resolve that one.

Have you tried the reset button when it's sitting there with no "output"?

BTW, too large a power supply is not a good thing. There has to be a minimum load for the power supply to be able to properly regulate the voltages (check out the tolerances).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it's an older computer, there can be a dust-buildup and fans could be clogged (or airway vents) so the computer has higher and higher temps.

A shutdown stops the fans and heated parts (the CPU and the video-card) suddenly are without direct-air cooling. So they become hotter, quicker - for a brief time.

Does the computer come on if you 'always' wait 2 minutes? For 5 minutes? Have you experimented with a uniform time-delay and discovered "it always turns on after 3 minutes, but not after 2 or 1?" This makes me think "heat" and "dirt buildup". Which means, "open the case and vacuum it cleaner."

But there could be these overclocking issues, too, if that pertains. These aren't quite heat-related (but can indeed generate more heat), but some electrical variances might be disallowing a start-up on some parts (CPU or memory, more than likely).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry about the long respond back. the computer is a self build pc, it was built in jan last yr. the problem started around june this yr. I went into the bios and set it to default settings. I never have over clocked anything myself but the gfx card came from factory overclocked (don't remember what it was OC to tho). The bios update make since though I went to asus web site and it looks like the recent update is a 1605 and my bios is around 0604 or something around those numbers. plan on doing a update on it and seeing if that fixes the problem. now on that NVidia card to amd chipset nic2k4 was talking about I didn't relize that it matter so should I go to radeon gfx, and if so what radeon card is equal to the 580 gtx or greater never used one before so not sure on there numbers.

one thing I did forget to mention is that if I don't wait five min or so to turn it on I have to power it down with the power button and when I do get it to turn on it goes to the screen were it says it wasshut down wrong. which does make me lead to the bios update or maybe my gfx card may need to be replaced.
    Last edited by flipgrav; 5th Oct 2013 at 13:23.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just recently done a cleaning of inside the pc making sure all the fans were moving freely and actually replacing 1 of the 120 mm ones (it just didn't seem to rev all the way up) But it isn't that it shuts itself down its when I shut it off. the time from start up to shut down does not seem to matter it will happen if I fire up the comp just to log on to windows and shut it down or if im on it for 2 days. For the time bases of how long it takes before I can turn it on im not sure if it changes or not. It just sem to be fine if I wait five min.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd think the Heat Thing would only be indicative of a CPU-Overheat issue, actually. But video-card issues are always having queer effects. If you've got a cheapo you could temporarily sub in, that might be an interesting (and low cost) test I try to check MSCONFIG to disable any of that vendor's Start-up or Services, too.

It'd be great if it was a simple solution like 'card replacement'.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    More to do in trouble shooting the fault than guess work.

Consumer class psu's are designed to handle a max load of X but it's not necessary they draw all of X, their not designed for "efficiency".

System fans, lights, hd spin sound like an intermittent issue with -5v rail, but as you already replace the psu and same issue results Id be looking if you dont have a bad or faulty reset / start button on the case first.

Disconnect the optical drive cables and see if things improve. a bad or missing -5 volt rail supply will cause the bios to hang while it determines the drive on the cable. After a few minutes the system gives up and continues the rest of the startup sequence.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Dell Dimension 4600 that does this, 8 years old, but good for basic things. Restart from within Windows works fine -
    but if you actually shutdown, pressing the power button to turn it back on will not work if it is done too soon to the shutdown ( 5 - 10 minutes).
    On the Dell there are a set of diagnostic lights at the back that make a pattern when this error occurs.
    The pattern that shows up is not documented in the manual, so a fat lot of good it is.

The guy from Dell forum support wanted me to remove the AGP video card and revert to onboard to test it.
    By this time I had forgotten about it and never tried it.

Perhaps the OP can check to see if there are any diagnostic lights on the motherboard and/or strip the PC down to
    bare basic components and retry.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try running the freeware version of HWMonitor to see if the CPU temperatures are high. It may also indicate video card/GPU temperatures. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

From your first post, it sounds more like a video card failure as you mention the case lights are on and the HDD is spinning, but no display.
    It may be worth substituting a video card.
    Quote Quote  
  11. "one thing I did forget to mention is that if I don't wait five min or so to turn it on I have to power it down with the power button and when I do get it to turn on it goes to the screen were it says it wasshut down wrong. which does make me lead to the bios update or maybe my gfx card may need to be replaced."

Have you tried reseating the video card? If that doesn't work you could try another video card. It sounds like windows is loading but you have no video signal to the monitor.
    Quote Quote