VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello guys,

I found a strange duration on a DVD !

At
    http://www.singingcinema.com/fr/films-bollywood/2123-aurat-dvd.html I bought an old Bollywood movie :

Aurat (1967)
    As it contains only english subtitles, I wanted to reauthor it, using a method similar to https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD

This movie is only 2h18mn long, but the DVD indicates 14 hours !!!
    And the last chapter lasts 13 hours...
    Very strange, isn't it ? I suppose they forgot to stop the transfer process after 2 hours !

How can I extract only the appropriate m2v and ac3 files ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Patapin View Post

How can I extract only the appropriate m2v and ac3 files ?
    The usual ways. With the DVD in the DVD drive, DVD Decrypter can do it by going into Streams Processing. Or with the DVD already on the hard drive, PGCDemux or DGIndex (Save Project and Demux Video).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello manono,

thanks for your reply.

Will I be able to extract only 2h18mn ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Patapin View Post
    Will I be able to extract only 2h18mn ?
    Obviously there's not 14 hours there. If it makes you feel better, you can use the ']' button in DGIndex to leave off the last little bit of the film.

There's a really funny bit in that movie where Pran 'teaches' Padmini how to dance.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DGIndex, that I had never tried, works with another movie, but this one stays blue on the DGindex screen.And I get an error message : "No data - Check your PIDS"

And when I try PGCdemux, my PGC indicates the 14h33mn long duration. I don't know how to extract only the appropriate time, can you help me ? Click image for larger version

Name:	Aurat2.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	20308

By the way, my DVD is in Black & White, although the cover is in colour. Is yours in B&W too ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try with ProjectX by adding all vobs, except the menus
    Quote Quote  
  7. While in PGCDemux, try ticking 'Single Cell', and then check the drop down box for the cell (chapter) lengths. It's that last cell that shows most of the length?

I've never seen it in an Indian classic film on DVD, but this is beginning to look to me like a decrypting problem. What did you use to decrypt this DVD to the hard drive?

In VobBlanker, in the 'Cells' screen, you can choose to get the VOBs minus that last cell (Blank the last cell and 'Extract All'), if you like. You can also see what that last cell is or consists of. Maybe a lot of black screen.

Yeah, it's a black and white film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmlqkma-rjw
    Last edited by manono; 3rd Oct 2013 at 05:49.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    manono - India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are infamous for using "bad sector" variations to copy protect VCDs and DVDs so this is very likely just some local variation on bad sector copy protection rather than a bad rip. If I am right, then DVDDecrypter will be a poor choice. Those guys are pretty good at how they protect their discs and they won't do something that can be fixed by using a simple tool like PGDDemux. Bad sector copy protection can have almost infinite variations including bad TOC (Table Of Contents) and since this film is not exactly a worldwide blockbuster, AnyDVD, DVDFab, etc. have likely never seen the exact variation used to protect it. There may not be anything right now that can rip it without weirdness or errors.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All right, noemi7, I'll try this tool tomorrow, thanks.

manono, using 'Single cell" option, I find this :
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Aurat cells.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	20313

The 15 first chapters, added together, make a length of 1:37:14 approximatively. Not enough !
    The 16th one is the cursed chapter !

Never mind, I'll watch it like this, because I understand english (a little). And near me is the Harrap's shorter !
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    manono - India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are infamous for using "bad sector" variations to copy protect VCDs and DVDs so this is very likely just some local variation on bad sector copy protection rather than a bad rip.
    VCDs, maybe, as I haven't had all that much experience with those (only fifty or so). Not DVDs. Most aren't protected at all. You can just drag-and-drop them to the hard drive. This comes from the experience with working with a thousand of them. This DVD of Patapin's is a new one on me.

That's why I asked how it was decrypted, a question he hasn't answered. I was going to suggest using DVDFab HD Decrypter followed by FixVTS on it. The sectors have to be unreferenced as one couldn't be expected to sit still for 12 hours of black after the movie finished. I'd bet it ends normally with none of that extra 12 hours as shown in that picture from PGCDemux
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's not "protection", but simply authored like crap.
    One of the cell has multi timestamp information.

India does a lot of BS to DVDs, which actually makes them out of spec.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I quickly tried , without ProjectX understanding anything.Never mind, I used DVD Shrink to cut the movie at the right time.

So, thank you everybody !
    Quote Quote