VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Everybody,

I Need to decode a 5.1 DTS Audio File to WAV for editing.

I especially want the Surround channels completly decoded to hear the voices from the surround channels to edit them (dubbing with other language).

Tried eac3to to WAV so far but that doesn't work properly > The voices in the surround wavs are only very barely (extremly silent) to hear

How can i geht the voices normalized so i can hear what i'm editing?

Thank you all for helping me.
    Last edited by Logitex; 29th Sep 2013 at 05:37.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Logitex View Post
    I especially want the Surround channels completly decoded to hear the voices from the surround channels to edit them (dubbing with other language).
    It doesn't work that way. Individual voices or sounds....per channel....is NOT what 5.1 or even 7.1 was designed for.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks hech54, so whats the working way?

I'm currently on dubbing a 5.1 Soundtrack with english language to another language.

I just finished the Center Channel with Adobe Audition

But when it Comes to the Surround and Left/Right Channels i cant hear a Thing (only Music effects)

How can i edit those Voices from L/R and Surround Channels?

Thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Logitex View Post
    How can i edit those Voices from L/R and Surround Channels?
    You can't.
    5.1 is no different than stereo 2.0 with this type of problem. You can't just remove someone's voice from a recording. That only happens on TV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I don't only want to remove the voice i want to cut it and replace it with another voice from the same Soundtrack just in an other language

There must be a way
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is rear channels almost never have a solid single voice in them. they are EFFECTS channels. That's why any dialogue would sound faint or nonexistent. They are meant for atmospheric effects like explosions, music and things like wind noise and weather effects.

But simply put just use any audio editor to copy and paste a given section of a music file onto the mono wave file you striped out of the audio track. Than remux with any ac3 encoder.

Please note only ac3 have "free" encoders. I think any and all dts encoders are payware so far as i know (the legitimate ones that is).

Edit - and hech54 is right if you are trying to magically remaster the video with a custom dialog track you are in for a world of hurt.

Unless that is you only want to replace the language from a 2.0 track into a 5.1/7.1 track perhaps? I think i've seen it where one language only has a stereo track but the main language that the movie was released in has the 5.1 track. Is that what you are trying to do? Trying to move a 2.0 language track onto a 5.1/7.1 track?

If so your simplest and painfree way MIGHT be to simply demux both center channel tracks and replace the main 5.1/7.1 center channel with the 2.0 track - oh wait that won't work either since the 2.0 track isn't discrete. Sorry.

Your best bet in that situation is if its encoded in dolby pro logic on the 2.0 track you MIGHT be able to use some program out there to extract a SIMULATED center channel and use that to replace the dialogue on the main track.

However you would be far better off looking for an official release of the movie/tv show in question in the desired language you are looking for instead of cobbling together one of your mixes.
    Last edited by yoda313; 29th Sep 2013 at 08:17.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Please note only ac3 have "free" encoders. I think any and all dts encoders are payware so far as i know (the legitimate ones that is).
    You've been thinking wrong long enough

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/348702-dcaenc-2-[MinGW-build]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    You've been thinking wrong long enough

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/348702-dcaenc-2-[MinGW-build]
    Ok so maybe I was wrong.

Is it just a command line program?

how does it work with foobar?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote