VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I recently downloaded some MP4's to my computer that I converted to MPEG using AVStoDVD. I also edited some VOB files using VideoReDo and converted them to MPEG also. I used AVStoDVD specifically because of their reputation for not re-encoding clips. From this point onward, I was then advised to use an authoring software such as DVD Styler. I assumed by using this software that this also would not re-encode the finished article. My question is; would they also not be re-encoded if I used Windows DVD Maker instead of DVD Styler to make the menu?

Thanks

HB
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Heathsideboy View Post
    ... I used AVStoDVD specifically because of their reputation for not re-encoding clips. ....
    I don't know where you got that from, but it's not true. In fact that doesn't make much sense.

DVD video is a pretty specific mpeg-2 format. A specific model dvd player will generally play some other video in a format like low profile mpeg4 such as divx.

Anything else will have to be re encoded. Many if not most of those web dl .mp4 files nowadays are avc/h.264 format. The ".mp4" part doesn't tell you much. I don't know of any dvd players that will handle avc video.

None of this has much to do with whether it's avstodvd or dvd styler you're talking about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD IS an authoring program. It can create menus. Whether they are as good as those created in dvd styler I know not.

Can not write about Windows DVD Maker but expect that to be some rebadged old product.

AVStoDVD (and probably dvd styler) will be far superior.

DVD authoring programs will only not re-encode when the source files are strictly dvd-compliant. Everything else will be re-encoded.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Heathsideboy View Post
    Hi,

I recently downloaded some MP4's to my computer that I converted to MPEG using AVStoDVD. I also edited some VOB files using VideoReDo and converted them to MPEG also. I used AVStoDVD specifically because of their reputation for not re-encoding clips. From this point onward, I was then advised to use an authoring software such as DVD Styler. I assumed by using this software that this also would not re-encode the finished article. My question is; would they also not be re-encoded if I used Windows DVD Maker instead of DVD Styler to make the menu?

Thanks

HB

AVStoDVD or DVDStyler won't re-encode your files, unless they are not DVD complaint or you have created a project with too many minutes of video for your source material to fit on one DVD without any modification. AVStoDVD can only make DVDs with a simple menu or no menu. DVDStyler provides more options for menu design. I have used Windows DVD Maker. It makes nifty menus from a small number of templates, but it always re-encodes even if the material is DVD compliant and will fit on one DVD.

[Edit]For those who don't already know, Windows DVD Maker is a program Microsoft only included with Windows 7, in Home Premium and above.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Sep 2013 at 09:12.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    there was a movie program in winXP and win2000
    i cut my video 'teeth' on that program,
    don't know if it is the same one as win7, because i never used the one in win7
    by the time i got to win7 i had graduated to GUI for DVD and avstodvd
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    there was a movie program in winXP and win2000
    i cut my video 'teeth' on that program,
    don't know if it is the same one as win7, because i never used the one in win7
    by the time i got to win7 i had graduated to GUI for DVD and avstodvd
    You must be thinking of Windows Movie Maker. Windows DVD Maker was included in various versions of Windows 7 and Vista (I forgot about that), but Microsoft did not include it in any of its earlier or later operating systems. Google it if you don't believe me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have used Windows DVD Maker several times to make a DVD but unfortunately as usually_quiet has indicated and given me the information I required, it re-encodes. Shame really because it's menus are some of the best I've seen.

AVStoDVD does not re-encode as usually_quiet has also indicated and of course the files have to be DVD compliant, I meant this of course but obviously got misinterpreted.

Now that I know DVD Styler also does not re-encode, I thank usually_quiet for the correct information I required. In fact, I have since made a DVD compliant DVD utilising AVStoDVD & DVD Styler and it has come out perfect with no re-encoding. I can see the difference between this DVD and the one I did with Windows DVD Maker.

Thank you

HB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Menus are only 'Bells and Whistles'. Far more important is the quality of the encoded video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Menus are only 'Bells and Whistles'. Far more important is the quality of the encoded video.

Maybe true but I like my bells and whistles thanks and the answer to my original question has now been answered and put my mind at rest.

Thanks

HB
    Quote Quote